Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Stingrays & other bottom dwellers Forum

Old 26-05-2015, 12:12 PM   #51
vadriewyn
Arofanatic

I'm a newbie to bichirs as a whole so I've always made assumptions to quality and grading. In any case, grading is usually very personal (like shrimps) although they follow certain guidelines. Correct me if I'm wrong, I've read that there are different variants of dels in terms of patterning (thick bar, thin bar, no stripe, tiger stripe, tiger spot, etc). Generically speaking, I presume better contrast is preferred (meaning darker black bars) and usually people tend to sway towards heavy patterning since its harder to achieve. I also take it that similarly to ITs, symmetrical patterns are considered to be better (but of course a lot harder to achieve in dels). Some patterning runs down towards the belly area, which is typically white, and probably also contributes to its rarity.

Not sure if I missed anything.. Regardless, most of the observations I have are quite obvious and I believe most people would have already internalised since they are fairly consistent regardless of the type of fish. Bigger, bolder, better!

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk
vadriewyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 12:18 PM   #52
vadriewyn
Arofanatic

On another note, I'm not sure which were the ones you sold to AquaOne since he does have a few tanks and varying sizes. But in any case, I'm sure that stock from a breeder is generally going to be better than something pulled off the local export list. Except in rare cases, of course.

Where can I find reference to more information anyway? There doesn't seem to be much in terms of data found online from websites and other local forums.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk
Old 26-05-2015, 05:49 PM   #53
Kohaku
Dragon

Generally the grading is by farms or supplier, so u wont know. Those u see at aquaone are from his supplier, my stock left a few of the not very fanatastic ones. Good ones all sold. It all depends what importers wants to bring in. Qianhu got some very nice dels shipment recently. I believe many ppl grab and never post here.

For a newbie, u quite knowledgable. Some Strips on dels can disappear when they grow bigger. What u see nice at 2-3inch maybe gone when it reach 5-6inch, but there are some that grow strips as it becomes bigger. What u see as faded strips become dark strips later. It takes experience to see how it grows. I ever brought a faded spots del from aquahobby, when still at PP, now the spots comes out very nice. I wonder why no one brought it then. Dark strips are what wont go away, is the half faded strips that makes keeping dels interesting, compare to other bichirs.
Kohaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 06:38 PM   #54
Razor Wei
Arofanatic

Sharing my delhezi (sorry for the poor quality)
Razor Wei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 09:42 PM   #55
vadriewyn
Arofanatic

I always like to do a fair bit of reading on whatever I keep. This includes scientific papers whenever possible.

There are is still a wealth of information that can only be gotten through practical experience though. That's why forums are important sources of information.

Razor Wei. That's a nice piece! Hopefully mine will bloom into something nice too.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Old 26-05-2015, 10:31 PM   #56
Kohaku
Dragon

Not bad piece of del. Very luan pattern. Hope to see more updates of others dels.

I prefer symmetrical pattern dels as they are harder to find.
Kohaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 11:02 PM   #57
Razor Wei
Arofanatic

Thanks bros, I have trying to find another piece to accompany him but some how to no avail though
Razor Wei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 02:09 AM   #58
vadriewyn
Arofanatic

What are the usual tank mates for bichirs? And do most people here keep them in bare tanks?

Old 31-05-2015, 11:52 AM   #59
G2Red
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadriewyn View Post
What are the usual tank mates for bichirs? And do most people here keep them in bare tanks?

Other than Pleco the rest are fine...a tank with red substrates is better...
G2Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 12:13 PM   #60
desmondpeh
Senior Dragon

Feifeng also cannot keep with bichirs.
desmondpeh is offline   Reply With Quote