Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 12:45 PM   #21
xersion
Dragon

any updates on the lfs at tiong barhu market?
Old 03-03-2008, 12:50 PM   #22
xaine
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceCharming View Post
my female blue moon has been behaving weirdly since last week..
she eats very little but still eating..
she keeps using her last 2 legs and arranging her swimrets
these signs seems like she is either moulting or pregnant..
yesterday i realise tat under her body..the place where the eggs comes out
there is a fluffy white object..shape of a ball at the egg entrance
and now her tail is fully curled up..for few hrs i have been observing
she has nt open it
constantly she is lying on her side and back
wriggling her legs...when any fish comes near her
she will stand on her feet and try to catch them..
but after they are gone..she lies back again...
i believe she is still healthy as i saw her caught my neon tetra n eating it
any comments guys?
it looks pretty healthy, catching tetra and eating it.
I believe she's just being protective whenever a fish is swimming near it.
Should be alright.
Not to worry too much for now, bust keep monitoring
Old 03-03-2008, 12:52 PM   #23
xaine
Dragon

Quote:
haha sad...u can actually use those plastic cardboards to cover the tank..it is sold in popular and each piece is $3.15..the size is A3..u can cut it into the size u want and it comes in MANY colors
well, my crays are strong, doubt the plastic can do anything...haha..now resorting to using a mini tank to sit on top of the plastic mesh (at the edge)
Old 03-03-2008, 12:54 PM   #24
PrinceCharming

Quote:
Originally Posted by xersion View Post
any updates on the lfs at tiong barhu market?
never been there b4...care to show me the directions? using streetdirectory.com?

Old 03-03-2008, 12:55 PM   #25
PrinceCharming

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaine View Post
it looks pretty healthy, catching tetra and eating it.
I believe she's just being protective whenever a fish is swimming near it.
Should be alright.
Not to worry too much for now, bust keep monitoring
my tank is just beside my computer hhee...keep monitoring..later i going c328 wif my fren hope she is fine

Old 03-03-2008, 12:56 PM   #26
PrinceCharming

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaine View Post
well, my crays are strong, doubt the plastic can do anything...haha..now resorting to using a mini tank to sit on top of the plastic mesh (at the edge)
how abt puting some stones above it? it may look nice

Old 03-03-2008, 01:50 PM   #27
Slash

can i ask a very noobzor question...is it okay for the crayfish to have their backs exposed to the air permanently, like i sometimes see at the LFSes? As in the water level is kept reaaallly low and only the ventral part of their bodies are submerged. I bought one long ago and kept it that way as it was what i saw in the LFS. The crayfish survived for a damnnnn long time, it refused to die until it got overheated one day when the tank was placed under direct sunlight.

I did not question whether keeping the crayfish with its back dry would be okay or not..But looking back, its not that okay to do it right?? BTW for that 3 or 4 months it was with me, it never once molted.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:54 PM   #28
PrinceCharming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash View Post
can i ask a very noobzor question...is it okay for the crayfish to have their backs exposed to the air permanently, like i sometimes see at the LFSes? As in the water level is kept reaaallly low and only the ventral part of their bodies are submerged. I bought one long ago and kept it that way as it was what i saw in the LFS. The crayfish survived for a damnnnn long time, it refused to die until it got overheated one day when the tank was placed under direct sunlight.

I did not question whether keeping the crayfish with its back dry would be okay or not..But looking back, its not that okay to do it right?? BTW for that 3 or 4 months it was with me, it never once molted.
it is ok as in it wont die as long as there is little water to keep the moisture in its gills for it to breathe...it is nt ok as tat is nt the ideal environment for it...it is like ur parents give u live in a store room with bare minimal food and no ventilation or a big room with air con and windows and plenty of food...which environment will make u grow bigger n taller? it cant moult without water as it need to 'jump' out of its shell all qns are welcomed...we learn together

Old 03-03-2008, 03:23 PM   #29
xaine
Dragon

yeah, as mention above, it will be wiser to have them fully in water.
When I first started, I only have a small tub (no airpump), so I started with this method of half submerge it in water. Yes it can survive, but it just won't grow. As soon as I have an airpump and a decent container, it moulted within a week (coincidence, unsure), but it did have more living quarters when I started introducing used cut plastic bottles as their hideout.

You don't really require to spend too much for crays, just have to be innovative.
A decent tank, and a cheap airpump (<$5), used plastic bottles (cut both ends). And you are done.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:26 PM   #30
xaine
Dragon

Quote:
my tank is just beside my computer hhee...keep monitoring..later i going c328 wif my fren hope she is fine
you seemed you to have lots of time going to LFS. Do update any new findings or food for crays.

Quote:
how abt puting some stones above it? it may look nice
even a full 300ml bottle was pushed over, I think a brick should be better...haha
Closed Thread