Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > General Freshwater Forum

Old 26-03-2009, 06:58 AM   #11
deaDFisHFood
Dragon

they can but i guess it will take sometime...i think keeping one saltwater kbl in a freshwater environment will not survive as the salt content change in the water is too rapid
from my point of view...
deaDFisHFood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 01:39 PM   #12
NigelN

Bros,

ok.. firstly, all seabass return to rivers to spawn.. machiam like salmon..and also, like all u guys said...seabass love brackish waters...so if u r a hardcore fisherman, u'll find those big canals where it leads to the sea..they'll ambush the fishes being swept out as the tide recedes..

personally came close to 1 about 1m away from me when i was at a dam walking and shining crabs... shone into the water and saw the unmistake-able red eyes.. haha...

anyway, those seng siong ones i think they are freshwater barras.. IMHO, u can differentiate freshwater and saltwaters with the white stripe on the forehead.. not sure if this is true coz i see the barras around all haf the white stripe.. EXCEPT the nile perch.

All Lates family but diff sub. So there is the normal sea bass, the big barramundi, the nile perch and lately, the japanese variant - Lates Japonicus. It still has the intrinsic white stripe on the forehead.. yup..

anyway, they are really nice to see. I kept 2 in a 2feet tank before...they will swim with the heads down when they are hungry and when u toss in a GS (their favs) it will be sucked in so quick u don't have time to take ur camera and snap..

love them to bits but my grandma off my switch and the poor 2 died over night..

but keeping barras are really sweet...get them a big tank and watch them swim! rmb to have a lid though..when they reach the 1ft size and when they are really hungry, they will sprint to the surface and swallow the food.. this is when u can try feeding them MPs to train them.. but from what i know, they are a lil hard to train..v smart and intelligent species..

sorry for long post
Old 30-03-2009, 07:21 PM   #13
BubbleBubble
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade View Post
seabass are brackish water fish......but once they in saltwater i think itz hard to convert it to freshwater.......
Not entirely true, depending on subspecies. The local variant switches from fresh to salt and back like nobodies business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leviathius View Post
somehow they can survive both. i use to go to one of the rivers here to fish for kbl. they will return to freshwater to hunt for food or spawn. so i think they can survive both. correct me if im wrong. cheers.
They spawn in seawater, or the saltiest they can find within their range. Mostly at the mouth so the incoming tide will bring eggs floating into mangroves.

Some subspecies grow faster in freshwater while others vice versa. Ours grow faster in freshwater but whatever the case, they need seawater to spawn else eggs won't float submerge die, expand osmotically water hardened egg shell crack rapture die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaDFisHFood View Post
they can but i guess it will take sometime...i think keeping one saltwater kbl in a freshwater environment will not survive as the salt content change in the water is too rapid
from my point of view...
They switches half density a day no problem. 30ppt drop to 15 ppt, instanteneous ok. Then to 7.5 ppt next day instanteneous ok, then to 0ppt ok. Back up same.
BubbleBubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:59 PM   #14
Paradize
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleBubble View Post
eggs won't float submerge die, expand osmotically water hardened egg shell crack rapture die.

They switches half density a day no problem. 30ppt drop to 15 ppt, instanteneous ok. Then to 7.5 ppt next day instanteneous ok, then to 0ppt ok. Back up same.
err my fish sci no good, wat u mean ..."expand osmotically water hardened egg shell crack rapture die."??

switches half density a day no problem. 30ppt drop to 15 ppt, ??
Paradize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:25 PM   #15
hampala

He3... This thread is what I need. Look at my avatar. KBL with sebarau live together.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:52 PM   #16
blade
Arofanatic

nice KBL bro........mind posting a full tank shot
blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:01 AM   #17
hampala

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade View Post
nice KBL bro........mind posting a full tank shot
ok.. this is mine...

Old 06-04-2009, 08:51 AM   #18
Leong68
Endangered Dragon

nice kim bak lo there
Leong68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:10 AM   #19
hampala

Yes bro. Thx. This fish was 100% freshwater.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:16 PM   #20
BubbleBubble
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradize View Post
err my fish sci no good, wat u mean ..."expand osmotically water hardened egg shell crack rapture die."??

switches half density a day no problem. 30ppt drop to 15 ppt, ??
At the moment they release egg sperm fertilised, start absorb water egg shell then hardens, for rigidity, strength, integrity, a survival mechanism.

KBL can switch salinity easily, swimming from fresh to euryhaline to full strength seawater and back no problem, in a matter of days, even hours. Their chloride cells worked very efficiently, physiologically speaking.
BubbleBubble is offline   Reply With Quote