Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2015, 12:07 AM   #51
patclay
Dragon
 
patclay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 2,519
Default

Deep pocket project...but superbly nice.
patclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:29 PM   #52
nutx
Dragon
 
nutx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,995
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFireSG View Post

@nutx

Under the BD is concrete stabilized soil. We had to dig a trench in that as the 6" sweep elbow we used has a 2 ft span. It and the rest of the base was sealed in concrete. The wire was then built on top for the reinforced base.

As for the issue with algae, a UV light inside the mechanical filter toasts the drum 24x7. That should take care of the bio film growth on the drum. I'll also be running the system at just 1/2 to 3/4 the 15000gph max capacity to allow more buffer.
Thanks for the info.

The algae with concerns will be those hairy algae form in the pond, get loose and suck into the drum....
I've know someone who use a fine netting at the settlement chamber, to trap all these physical dirt, to prevent them from messing up the rest of the chamber. but the netting need to be wash daily, else get choke.
nutx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:09 PM   #53
DragonFireSG
Arofanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 300
Default

Aha. String algae Interestingly I never had a problem with that stuff in my old pond. The drum has a collection tray with rakes to pull that off the inside of the filter. It will need to be cleared daily though if there is a severe outbreak.

Of course a severe outbreak probably means I've been neglecting something and letting the water parameters go out of whack.
DragonFireSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:04 AM   #54
DragonFireSG
Arofanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 300
Default

Some progress. Heavy duty SS deck framing for the main pond.



Removable frame for the filter pit - for ease of maintenance.

DragonFireSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 08:34 AM   #55
limz_666
Arofanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 377
Default

what sort of mistake the previous pond had ?
limz_666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 10:52 AM   #56
DragonFireSG
Arofanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 300
Default

1. Improperly sized bottom drains in bad locations
Flow through each was slow. Sludge collected in the lines and had to be purged very often.
The positioning of the BDs did not adequately allow the sweeping of debris on the pond bottom.

2. No Tangential returns to aid in water circulation
Lots of stagnant spots in the pond that collect waste

3. Right angled corners
Right angles result in stagnant spots at the pond corners

4. Very undersized, jerry rigged surface skimmer
Never worked properly

5. Improperly installed drains in the filter chambers
Not possible to properly purge the chambers if waste without disturbing the bio media. This was a major flaw that severely affected water quality
DragonFireSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 05:24 PM   #57
limz_666
Arofanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 377
Default

i see , btw you adding any k1 media chambers ?
limz_666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 05:35 PM   #58
DragonFireSG
Arofanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 300
Default

No K1 at this time. I might use an above ground FGT as a moving bed backup filter in future. I have a sack seasoned K3 and biochip media from the old pond that I could use in it. Had K1 too, but I gave that sack to a friend.

I'm also interested in exploring anoxic filtration for nitrate control - but that might require a bit more real estate than I have. I'm thinking that a few large clay pots with overflows drilled into them could make for pretty denitrification units if planted with monstera deliciosa.

I just got back from ICT so the pictures are a bit lacking The shower filter came in and the decking is done. I will get some fresh pics up once my muscles have recovered a bit more.
DragonFireSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 11:51 AM   #59
DragonFireSG
Arofanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 300
Default

Finally managed to source the epoxy paint.

Using Nippon Heavy Duty EA9 Finish HB. Got it from JB. SG no stock. Did manage to get the white EA9 primer locally tho.

One coat of the primer applied so far. Luckily it had 24hr to cure before yesterday's shower. Epoxy doesn't like to touch water when it is curing.

DragonFireSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 11:52 AM   #60
DragonFireSG
Arofanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 300
Default

Btw check out the colour of the haze rain. Poisonous for sure.
DragonFireSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +9. The time now is 06:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2000-2008 Arofanatics.com (Since 30th August 2000)