Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum

Old 18-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #11
Heuer
Dragon

your base is not deep enough. this is how you should plant HG.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Heuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #12
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippy_daryl View Post
as promise.. this is the picture of the hairgrass tied to mesh tray.. had push the mesh tray further in..

top view

side view

front view

sorry for the poor pic quality...
Interesting. This is new to me, so can't advise much there. Personally, i just plant direct into the soil. Not sure how well HG can do tied on to objects in this way
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #13
Koji™
Account Disabled

I plant HG before and it's back breaking if you wanna have them growing and spreading nicely in your tank for you need to plant them sparely around the soil and not in big batch.
Koji™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #14
yeobt
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji™ View Post
I plant HG before and it's back breaking if you wanna have them growing and spreading nicely in your tank for you need to plant them sparely around the soil and not in big batch.
True, I juz threw away a box of HG worth $3 after I realized the HG I planting looks like crab. Haha
yeobt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 06:56 PM   #15
Ah_ZhaN
Arofanatic

You can just plant the HG in small bunches (a few stalks held together), instead of stalk by stalk.

Let them set root in (so no yamato shrimps or whatever fauna that digs), then keep trimming (yes, literal cutting like how we cut out hair) and they will keep spreading until all ground flooded with HG.

Of cos, great light intensity + great nutrients (including CO2) will expedite their growth.

Last edited by Ah_ZhaN; 22-04-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Ah_ZhaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #16
ted_keong
Arofanatic

HG looks terrific with small schooling fishes (e.g cardinal tetra) but not with shrimps.

Sufficient lighting and spread it out evenly across the soil and they will grow nicely. However, its maintenance is another mind boggling task.
ted_keong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013, 02:03 AM   #17
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Hairgrass is easy to propagate, but backbreaking on the planting part. I tried it on my 2ft, seriously almost gave up after only 10% planted. As bros mentioned, plant them is small clusters spread out at around 1" intervals. And plant them deep. I usually plant mine with around 5 stalks of HG per cluster, and I shove them down until only the tips are showing. In the course of the acclimatisation, some will die off, but the new shoots will spread and the runners will eventually cover the ground very quickly. Balanced nutrients and lighting work well. I tried using root tabs too, although I don't know if they really worked that well. Was a monster of a task removing the HG when I decommed the tank. The root network is
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013, 03:50 AM   #18
armageddon
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-san View Post
Hairgrass is easy to propagate, but backbreaking on the planting part. I tried it on my 2ft, seriously almost gave up after only 10% planted. As bros mentioned, plant them is small clusters spread out at around 1" intervals. And plant them deep. I usually plant mine with around 5 stalks of HG per cluster, and I shove them down until only the tips are showing. In the course of the acclimatisation, some will die off, but the new shoots will spread and the runners will eventually cover the ground very quickly. Balanced nutrients and lighting work well. I tried using root tabs too, although I don't know if they really worked that well. Was a monster of a task removing the HG when I decommed the tank. The root network is
they are not called GRASS for nothing.... it needs to live up to its reputation to hold that title of a grass....
armageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #19
peanut8787
Arofanatic

Looks like I have not been visiting Lfs for a long time. Didn't know hg comes in mesh form
peanut8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:59 PM   #20
WinD88

Its quitr common. Seen quite a number of LFS selling hairgrass in mesh. Need to untie and plant it to the soil. Not with the whole mesh in it.