Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 22-05-2011, 02:07 PM   #1
koiluver
Arofanatic

Default Sinking pellets

koi lifts up its head and mouth for floating pellets. If this continues for a long period of time, will it affects the body structure especially when the koi is in growing up stage.

Do you feed your kois with sinking pellets with the intention of achieving better body shape?

What do the Japanese say, any idea?

Last edited by koiluver; 22-05-2011 at 02:09 PM.
koiluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 10:18 PM   #2
koijunior

But feeding doesn't occupy plenty of their time, so it won't have a great impact on its body structure. The rest of the time they spent on swimming and to make them swim instead of idling around , use a powerful power-head to create strong current in the water for them to swim against constantly. In this way, you don't have to worry your koi become obese.
Old 24-05-2011, 12:04 PM   #3
kutekoi
Arofanatic

Bro Koiluver, i mix both floating and sinking pellets together . Personally I don't think it's a biggie if your pond is at least 3 to 4 feet deep. They will still have plenty of chance to exercise.

For my shallow pond of below 2 feet, I may eventually switch to 100% sinking pellets when my kois all exceed 50cm.
kutekoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 02:54 PM   #4
koiluver
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by koijunior View Post
But feeding doesn't occupy plenty of their time, so it won't have a great impact on its body structure.
Very good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutekoi View Post
Bro Koiluver, i mix both floating and sinking pellets together . Personally I don't think it's a biggie if your pond is at least 3 to 4 feet deep. They will still have plenty of chance to exercise.

For my shallow pond of below 2 feet, I may eventually switch to 100% sinking pellets when my kois all exceed 50cm.
My water level is 2 feet. Agree with you, when they grow up to 50cm, floating pellets will be difficult for them.
koiluver is offline   Reply With Quote