Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 22-05-2006, 08:41 AM   #71
jojoe cute

A drill can do the cutting also, but have to b vry careful ...

About the psu, u just bundle up those un-use wire for future needs.

U hv to get a power tester, to check which is 12V neg/pos. I can't help u on this....

Hope u enjoy yr DIY project....

Quote:
Originally Posted by axela11
Oh ok.. do you think a normal drill can do the job? or will it destroy the whole filter?

Sorry I dunno anything about electricals, but this is what the PSU says:
3.3V 14A Orange
5V 20A Red
12V 8A Yellow

There are like 20 different kind of colourful wires coming out of the PSU! If yellow means 12V, does that mean i can just cut away the rest of them? And also how do I tell which is the positive end and negative end?
Old 22-05-2006, 10:11 PM   #72
silane
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoe cute
A drill can do the cutting also, but have to b vry careful ...

About the psu, u just bundle up those un-use wire for future needs.
Best is to keep the wire short -- cut away the excessive length of wire, that will decrease the electrical resistance.
silane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2006, 12:51 AM   #73
axela11

Oh ok, so basically the CPU PSU can be used right? Heh thanks bros jojoe and silane! Shall brainstorm on my project soon
Old 23-05-2006, 02:11 PM   #74
xtrekker

Quote:
Originally Posted by axela11
Oh ok, so basically the CPU PSU can be used right? Heh thanks bros jojoe and silane! Shall brainstorm on my project soon
Ya its possible for my first project i use 2nd hand PSU bought from Sim lim Square. Another point to take note is the solder all the yellow(+12V) wires and Black(0V / Gnd) Wires together. This is to spread to current over several wires thus reducing the current load on each wire. If you are using a single wire , the wire would be heated up until the rubber insulator is hot to touch. We are talking in AMPERES . In fact 1 ampere is powerfully enuff to fried you.

Well you have to chose a PSU that its suitable for your application. Look on the PSU sticker for the load for the 12V line its should be at least 125% of your TEM requirement. For example you need 8A . On the PSU sticker 12V line should be at least 10A.

Building a TEM cooler is easly . Looking for a suitable PSU to drive it is more of a problem.

cheers
xtrekker
Old 23-05-2006, 04:40 PM   #75
schema

To add, the more excess amp u have, the better the TEM perform.
In my own test, using a lousy comp PSU, I got a thin crust of ice, then by using a more better grade PSU, I got thicker ice in a shorter time!

Moral of story, get a good PSU, for those who are not good in electrical, get someone to "join"(in parallel) the wires like Bro xtrekker tips, or even replace with better grade wires....it is important!

Don't fry yourself.
Old 23-05-2006, 06:23 PM   #76
jojoe cute

师傅
You don't write too chim chim....

I read liao abit blurr blurr le....

Can i put it simple abit, if using 8A peltier, mus try to get higher like 10A power supply unit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrekker
Ya its possible for my first project i use 2nd hand PSU bought from Sim lim Square. Another point to take note is the solder all the yellow(+12V) wires and Black(0V / Gnd) Wires together. This is to spread to current over several wires thus reducing the current load on each wire. If you are using a single wire , the wire would be heated up until the rubber insulator is hot to touch. We are talking in AMPERES . In fact 1 ampere is powerfully enuff to fried you.

Well you have to chose a PSU that its suitable for your application. Look on the PSU sticker for the load for the 12V line its should be at least 125% of your TEM requirement. For example you need 8A . On the PSU sticker 12V line should be at least 10A.

Building a TEM cooler is easly . Looking for a suitable PSU to drive it is more of a problem.

cheers
xtrekker
Old 23-05-2006, 06:27 PM   #77
jojoe cute

Bro...
U had failed how many time then got yr perfect setup...

Do you mind show us yr DIY M-chiller too... I hope to learn more on design, so to modify to more perfect unit...

Hahahahaha, did u use the thick ice for ice-kachang......

U know wat my son do, scoop the ice & put into his mouth.... wathis said to me (wah wah daddy it real ice & it cold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schema
In my own test, using a lousy comp PSU, I got a thin crust of ice, then by using a more better grade PSU, I got thicker ice in a shorter time!

Moral of story, get a good PSU, for those who are not good in electrical, get someone to "join"(in parallel) the wires like Bro xtrekker tips, or even replace with better grade wires....it is important!

Don't fry yourself.
Old 24-05-2006, 02:45 AM   #78
xtrekker

Quote:
Bro...

Do you mind show us yr DIY M-chiller too... I hope to learn more on design, so to modify to more perfect unit...

U know wat my son do, scoop the ice & put into his mouth.... wathis said to me (wah wah daddy it real ice & it cold)
ya lor but my one too solid aredi . cannot scoop out .Like what you say i really have to use ice breaker to break up the ice. Take pic can must wait until friday when i get my camera back.

wah lao .. chim meh ?? ok lah make i make simpler for those without electrical background..

As a general design consideration , Its not very good to fully load the PSU. ie if you PSU is supplying a maximum of 10A is it not very good to take ALL the 10A from PSU. So, 10A x 1.25 = 12.5A. The PSU be able to supply at least or maximum of 12.5A .

Why must mutiple by 1.25 ? One of the design rule i remember from my lectures is the ideally , the load(TEM in this case) must draw not more then 75% from the PSU. This to prevent the components in the PSU from over heating and shortening its life span.Fork out slightly more $$ to a higher rated PSU it will definately last you much more longer . Ask youself this question , if your car maximum RPM is 8000RPM do you ramp your engine to more then 6000RPM ?

cheers
xtrekker
ps: Correct me if i am wrong.
Old 24-05-2006, 02:55 AM   #79
schema

Quote:
Bro...

Wa biang Brother! don't disturb me la, u now king of DIY chiller....look at the sheer # of post on your thread......

I now looking for 1000w peltier and a 50A power supply to DIY chiller for my 5ft tank.....any lobang?
Heehee....jokin lo!

Now using Teco chiller la.
Old 24-05-2006, 03:02 AM   #80
xtrekker

Quote:
Originally Posted by schema

Don't fry yourself.
Better grade / thicker wires is always better ... I am surprise that your PSU survives the overloading. As i mention in my previous postings , I have a box full of fried up PSU before i realised that PSU fried up because my TEM is always trying to draw 30A from my 18A PSU.In the end i paid $$$ for a 350W switchmode PSU .....

Anyone keen for a thread to discuss on TEM ?? I think all this Q&A is irreavelent in joe's thread on his prototype chiller.....

I think its more reavelant to discuss various problems encountered by those interested in DIYing and designing their own TEM chillers.

cheers
xtrekker