Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Resources and Articles

Old 29-01-2010, 03:03 PM   #1
icemelt86

Default Film of oil on top of aquarium

Hi guys,

Need some advise on the following matter -

My aquarium has a film of oil on top of the water, which i believe comes from the plants. I have a skimmer which is suppose to remove the oil. however, it is not working, the plastic which is supposed to be slightly submerged is always floating above.

I suspect that its either the skimmer is spoil (although it hardly seem to work the first time round) or my external filter is not strong enough (supposedly 1000L per hr)

Was wondering if any bro here has ever experienced similar problems, Advise needed. Thanks!
Old 29-01-2010, 05:06 PM   #2
JadeIceGreen

It is a common problem. How I solved it was to direct filter output near the water surface.

Old 29-01-2010, 06:15 PM   #3
moscowblue
Endangered Dragon

use a skimmer to remove it
moscowblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 09:01 AM   #4
icemelt86

Thanks guys.

JadeIceGreen: I am afraid I cant adopt your idea, i think all my shrimps will be sucked inside haha.

moscowblue: I already have a skimmer but it doesnt seem to work...
Old 30-01-2010, 02:19 PM   #5
Shadow7
Senior Dragon

Change the skimmer lah
Shadow7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 10:41 AM   #6
cheetf
Dragon

Have you tried adjusting the skimmer? You can twist the top to adjust the amount of water that goes in. The reason why your skimmer is floating is probably because of not enough suction.
cheetf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:37 AM   #7
Newtank

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemelt86 View Post
Hi guys,

My aquarium has a film of oil on top of the water, which i believe comes from the plants. I have a skimmer which is suppose to remove the oil. however, it is not working, the plastic which is supposed to be slightly submerged is always floating above.

I suspect that its either the skimmer is spoil (although it hardly seem to work the first time round) or my external filter is not strong enough (supposedly 1000L per hr)

Was wondering if any bro here has ever experienced similar problems, Advise needed. Thanks!
Are you using the Atman skimmer ( the Eheim look alike type)?
Old 10-04-2010, 12:17 AM   #8
lenghan
Arofanatic

I had the same problem recently with my 1.5ft tank (using Eden 501). What I did was to use air pump and turn it to high with air-stone attached for a day and I noticed that the oil film are gone.
lenghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2010, 11:19 PM   #9
Johnc
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemelt86 View Post
Hi guys,

Its not really oil, but plant protein. Get a few nice mollies (any kind will do) and your problem will be solved instantly -- unless of course you are breeding shrimps, in which case you will definitely need a skimmer.

/John
Johnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2010, 08:15 AM   #10
Weiliang
Arofanatic

Lazy man method:

Use kitchen towel and soak up the protein layer. Might need a few tries.
I'm with the air pump method thou!

Cheers,
Weiliang
Weiliang is offline   Reply With Quote