Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 23-02-2005, 01:33 PM   #21
|ceberg

i concur

since u had invested quite abit in the equipment, why not get the CO2
cylinder instead? and to add to that, yours is a large tank in which a
preferred choice will be cylinder CO2 rather then a DIY CO2 system

as pointed out, it is lesser of a chore and there is consistent CO2 injection throughout (when using the solenoid regulators). the duration of
using it till the next topup of it can be quite long depending on the usage

and the topup is a meagre $15

do give the cylinder CO2 a serious consideration

Last edited by |ceberg; 23-02-2005 at 01:39 PM.
Old 23-02-2005, 01:41 PM   #22
ZhiQiang

is ur tank 48 inches or 48 cm???

if its 48 inches, dun bother using diy or nutrafin co2... get a cylinder... i did that in the past, close to being not using any co2...
Old 23-02-2005, 03:38 PM   #23
elimmel
Senior Dragon

this is going to sound naggy..... but GET A CYLINDER!!!
seriously, the DIY co2 will do zilch for a 60G tank with sump.
for a tank with sump, even when using cylinder co2, you will need to find ways to reduce surface agitation in order to reduce co2 loss.
elimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2005, 01:36 AM   #24
tango2201

I will eventually buy a cylinder, but for the time being, I "have" to use a DIY. Financial reasons, . The cheapest I found for cylinder set here in Southern Cali is $300. I also looked at the "Carbo-Plus" co2 system, it is around $150. Any broz here know anything about that product? Thanks for all the help!
Old 24-02-2005, 01:39 AM   #25
tango2201

Quote:
Originally Posted by simcb
If you really into planted tanks...investing in a co2 cylinder is much worth it

will help reduce your maintance chore of mixing the yeast every month.

Honestly DIY CO2 for such 3ft/4ft tank i assume is a chore.... and can easily result in instable co2 level.....ended up in cloudy water or algae bloom(unstable Ph also) too much of a chore to me(fighting to keep water paramenters stable)....i gave in and burn a hole in my pocket.

Now i got more time to sit in front of my tanks and stare lolz. My only maintance now is to feed and change water. So far so good my 2ft with 1.5l co2 cylinder last for 4-5mths at 2bps.
Oh, and as far as the chores, I'm perfectly fine with that. Its part of the hobby and I actually enjoy it.
Old 24-02-2005, 01:47 AM   #26
mercurial

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango2201
Oh, and as far as the chores, I'm perfectly fine with that. Its part of the hobby and I actually enjoy it.

Why don't you try DIYing 3-5 bottles of diy yeast then connect it into one main tube. Should be good i think use a co2 reactor, you should get by fine. No point wasting $$ on nutrafin. it's the exact same thing for a much higher price
Old 24-02-2005, 02:06 AM   #27
dOlBy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurial
Why don't you try DIYing 3-5 bottles of diy yeast then connect it into one main tube. Should be good i think use a co2 reactor, you should get by fine. No point wasting $$ on nutrafin. it's the exact same thing for a much higher price
I agree, if $$ is the problem use severals DIY bottle to support your 48" tank, you can DIY your own reactor too.
Old 24-02-2005, 02:12 AM   #28
elimmel
Senior Dragon

Quote:
I will eventually buy a cylinder, but for the time being, I "have" to use a DIY. Financial reasons, . The cheapest I found for cylinder set here in Southern Cali is $300. I also looked at the "Carbo-Plus" co2 system, it is around $150. Any broz here know anything about that product? Thanks for all the help!
good to know that a cylinder set is in the plans
but i must say that's real expensive.
as for the carbo-plus thingy, i'd say stick to your diy then get ur cylinder set.
the carbo-plus system uses electrolysis to produce co2 from the carbon plates. co2 dissolved rate is inefficient and the carbon plates should be pretty pricey to replace too.

some comments from users here
http://www.aquaticquotient.com/phpBB...ight=carboplus
elimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2005, 11:06 AM   #29
simcb

Talking

Quote:
I assume you only have 1 tank? Try to save up on one Cylinder.

This hobby is addictive ....once you start you cant stop.

Currently i have 4 planted(shrimps), 1 aro com tank and 3 guppy tanks(4 styro foam boxes). Can u imagine the chores....every day(before work) lolz only the water change is tiring other than that its endless hours of enjoyment. Thats why i gave up DIY.....now my planted tanks is much more stable ....dont have to worry abt CO2 running out and dont need to test water parameter every week ....

However my next worry is a power blackout.....if you are keeping live stocks in you 48 inch tank you can also start worrying abt blackouts too.

Last edited by simcb; 24-02-2005 at 11:16 AM.
Old 24-02-2005, 03:24 PM   #30
tango2201

Quote:
Originally Posted by simcb
I assume you only have 1 tank? Try to save up on one Cylinder.

This hobby is addictive ....once you start you cant stop.

Currently i have 4 planted(shrimps), 1 aro com tank and 3 guppy tanks(4 styro foam boxes). Can u imagine the chores....every day(before work) lolz only the water change is tiring other than that its endless hours of enjoyment. Thats why i gave up DIY.....now my planted tanks is much more stable ....dont have to worry abt CO2 running out and dont need to test water parameter every week ....

However my next worry is a power blackout.....if you are keeping live stocks in you 48 inch tank you can also start worrying abt blackouts too.
That is alot of tanks . I actually have two, this one and the 80 gallon. I am planning to get a 180gal in 6months, thats why I'm holding out on the cylinder for a little while.