Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > General Freshwater Forum

Old 17-09-2011, 01:12 AM   #1
scottelfy
Dragon

Default Blackwater makes tigers stable?

Hi all, i have been adding blackwater into my tank after every water change just to soften the water. However i have noticed that after adding it, my tigers become super stable even when the water is being filled. any bros encountered this? maybe its the lower pH that they prefer?
scottelfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 01:23 AM   #2
shaunwcl
Dragon

I would like to know too. Wats the most ideal PH level for tigers? I ever went to a LFS in pasir ris farmway and the guy told me otherwise. He said tigers prefer salt in aquariums and dun add black water. Becos they are very sensitive to changes in environment. Dark colour will make them turn black,ie unstable.
Now I blur...
shaunwcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 01:32 AM   #3
hongzai
Arofanatic

black water is something to calm the fish down from what i know. enhance the colour for tropical fish too.
hongzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 01:33 AM   #4
scottelfy
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunwcl View Post
I would like to know too. Wats the most ideal PH level for tigers? I ever went to a LFS in pasir ris farmway and the guy told me otherwise. He said tigers prefer salt in aquariums and dun add black water. Becos they are very sensitive to changes in environment. Dark colour will make them turn black,ie unstable.
Now I blur...
i add salt and blackwater. makes my tigers very happy i assume judging from their colour. hut my blackwater doesnt last, after a day or 2, become clear again
Old 17-09-2011, 01:36 AM   #5
shaunwcl
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottelfy View Post
i add salt and blackwater. makes my tigers very happy i assume judging from their colour. hut my blackwater doesnt last, after a day or 2, become clear again
Then wat happen after tat? Does your tigers become unstable or mood swings? I believe the use of black water is only for first few days after water change to calm fishes down bah.. Ultimately, its still clear tank for our viewing pleasure right? Hmmm....
shaunwcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 01:36 AM   #6
Luc
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottelfy View Post
Cuz your filter removes the backwater. I believe tigers like slight brackish water
Luc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 01:38 AM   #7
scottelfy
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc View Post
Cuz your filter removes the backwater. I believe tigers like slight brackish water
yeah thats what i thought so too. anyway my tigers in full black tank still can stay stable during the week but its just exceptionally stable after adding blackwater in.
Old 17-09-2011, 07:53 AM   #8
xiaofeiji
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunwcl View Post
Becos they are very sensitive to changes in environment.
thats what c328 auntie told me too... scott, you did that with tank lights on or off ?? Mine tiger only show its true bright colors with light on thou...
xiaofeiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 12:14 AM   #9
scottelfy
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaofeiji View Post
thats what c328 auntie told me too... scott, you did that with tank lights on or off ?? Mine tiger only show its true bright colors with light on thou...
Usually I change water with my lights on. They are more stable in my "moonlight" compared to bring warm white. Anyway, if the blackwater fades off, does the effect of lowering pH fade off too? Thinking of adding some throughout the week but scared it brings down the ph too much
Old 18-09-2011, 12:29 AM   #10
aroHaji
Dragon

Bro, try not to add black water for a while and see if your stable is as stable.

I didn't use black at all, my tigers some are super stable some 70%~80% stable only.
aroHaji is offline   Reply With Quote