Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Product Reviews

Old 02-08-2005, 11:57 AM   #1
nim75sg

Default Hailea Ozonizer Model HLO-800

First Looks
Got the unit last nite and many thanks to Bro Bonjour2 who took the trouble of getting the units to me.

The packaging is far much better than the Enaly and the unit is protected with a fuse. In addition, it comes with a 3 pin-plug connector unlike others using a 2 pin power plug connection. Another safety feature from Hailea.

Also, the manual is bi-lingual (English and Chinese) and the package comes with a Hailea Model 9902 Air-Pump too

The finishing of the product is excellent and the whole unit is supported by four flexible rubberish legs which provides a very firm support to absorb any external vibrations.

The unit has 2 outlets (not plastic) which looks like titanium or steel and they are distinctively indicated as input or output . So more more guessing which is which

It has a variable control knob to adjust the ozone output which is important for first-time-used aquarium so that livestocks and corals can adapt slowly to the "clear" water condition instead of getting a sudden blast of "brightness".

Working It
Like other Ozonizer, it is best to use activated carbon to remove any leakage of O3 back to the main tank.

Before firing up the unit, the outlet of the ozonizer is connected to the venturi input of the Macro Needle Wheel Protein Skimmer via air tube with the input from the Hailea air-pump outlet.

Holding my breath, I powered the fella and would expect to detect ozone but couldn't smell any after 30 minutes.

It may be too early at this stage to conclude due to "running-in" of the unit as the variable knob is set at 10 mg instead of the optinum level of 50 mg.

Time will tell but at initially findings are very encouraging ... will check tonite again.

Last Say
Initially I am not expecting too much from this product after the experience with Enaly but what a surprise!

The only feature which I don't like is the large footprint of the unit which occupies 5.5"x7.5"x2.5" nut if you need a versatile unit with small footprint, take a look at the Sander or Aqua Medic Ozonizer which costs many times more.

So instead of comparing apple (China-made) with Orange (German-made) which is on the wrong footing, the right approach is between China-made apple (Hailea) and apple (Enaly) and my vote go to Hailea.

My last say is that this Ozonizer is a great product and good value for money if you need an inexpensive ozonier to get rid of pathogene germs and dissolve harmful chemical ingredient as well as organic matters in water including illness treatment for fishes.

Once again, I would like to reitierate that I am only an aquarist and are writing this review in my personal capacity to share my views to fellow reefers.

Also I do not have any invested interest in any commercial products (dry food, equipment, etc) relating to aquarium fish keeping.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:59 AM   #2
nim75sg

Close Up frontal view of the unit ...
Old 02-08-2005, 12:02 PM   #3
nim75sg

Another view of the view from the back showing the inlet & outlet jacks ....
Old 02-08-2005, 12:06 PM   #4
nim75sg

Connecting the unit with another Hailea Air-pump Model 9602 sitting on top of the ozonizer ..
Old 02-08-2005, 12:11 PM   #5
nim75sg

With the ozone output set at 10 mg initially with gradual increase over the weeks, the ozone is fed directly to the venturi input of the Macro Needle Wheel Protein Skimmer ...
Old 02-08-2005, 12:13 PM   #6
nim75sg

And this is the outcome of the skimmer before applying ozone 10 hours ago ....

Stay tuned for updates ...
Old 02-08-2005, 12:13 PM   #7
bonjour2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nim75sg
First Looks
Got the unit last nite and many thanks to Bro Bonjour2 who took the trouble of getting the units to me.

The packaging is far much better than the Enaly and the unit is protected with a fuse. In addition, it comes with a 3 pin-plug connector unlike others using a 2 pin power plug connection. Another safety feature from Hailea.

Also, the manual is bi-lingual (English and Chinese) and the package comes with a Hailea Model 9902 Air-Pump too

The finishing of the product is excellent and the whole unit is supported by four flexible rubberish legs which provides a very firm support to absorb any external vibrations.

The unit has 2 outlets (not plastic) which looks like titanium or steel and they are distinctively indicated as input or output . So more more guessing which is which

It has a variable control knob to adjust the ozone output which is important for first-time-used aquarium so that livestocks and corals can adapt slowly to the "clear" water condition instead of getting a sudden blast of "brightness".

Working It
Like other Ozonizer, it is best to use activated carbon to remove any leakage of O3 back to the main tank.

Before firing up the unit, the outlet of the ozonizer is connected to the venturi input of the Macro Needle Wheel Protein Skimmer via air tube with the input from the Hailea air-pump outlet.

Holding my breath, I powered the fella and would expect to detect ozone but couldn't smell any after 30 minutes.

It may be too early at this stage to conclude due to "running-in" of the unit as the variable knob is set at 10 mg instead of the optinum level of 50 mg.

Time will tell but at initially findings are very encouraging ... will check tonite again.

Last Say
Initially I am not expecting too much from this product after the experience with Enaly but what a surprise!

The only feature which I don't like is the large footprint of the unit which occupies 5.5"x7.5"x2.5" nut if you need a versatile unit with small footprint, take a look at the Sander or Aqua Medic Ozonizer which costs many times more.

So instead of comparing apple (China-made) with Orange (German-made) which is on the wrong footing, the right approach is between China-made apple (Hailea) and apple (Enaly) and my vote go to Hailea.

My last say is that this Ozonizer is a great product and good value for money if you need an inexpensive ozonier to get rid of pathogene germs and dissolve harmful chemical ingredient as well as organic matters in water including illness treatment for fishes.

Once again, I would like to reitierate that I am only an aquarist and are writing this review in my personal capacity to share my views to fellow reefers.

Also I do not have any invested interest in any commercial products (dry food, equipment, etc) relating to aquarium fish keeping.

No mention bro , I happen to want to check out yr sanders connection.. and compare both footprint ....collect cyclopeeze .so small matter that i send it to yr doorstep..muz state this or else other reefers think i biase y theirs no delivery..
Gd review there.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:14 PM   #8
bonjour2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nim75sg
And this is the outcome of the skimmer after 10 hours ....
btw nim75sg, is the macro skimmer ozone safe to feed ozone into it?
Old 02-08-2005, 12:15 PM   #9
nim75sg

Yes .. Macro Skimmers are ozone complaince even for those 1st generation type
Old 02-08-2005, 03:51 PM   #10
Tigger

Can we not hook up the airpump to this O3 maker? Just let the Ozonizer suck in air itself, can?