Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 09-12-2006, 12:43 AM   #1
retro1983

Post Help on Dymax

Recently got a Dymax QB. It is a T5 2 x 14w. One is a blue light with no K value, The other is white light 12,000K. Think it is not suitable for planted tanks.

Are there tubes which suits my light model, looking for 6500K 14w. Went to C328, uncle say they dun have. Wana ask if anybody using the same model is it suitable for planted tanks or where to get the rite tube I want.

Went here http://www.adec.com.sg/ to check also not much info and they also dun provide the K value.

Tnkz.

Last edited by retro1983; 09-12-2006 at 12:57 AM.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:21 PM   #2
retro1983

This morning went to lfs. The shop assistance say K value not so impt for planted tank, then wattage is more impt. Thru his experience.

Haiz, also dunnoe true anot.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:49 PM   #3
blackBRUSHalgae

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro1983 View Post
This morning went to lfs. The shop assistance say K value not so impt for planted tank, then wattage is more impt. Thru his experience.

Haiz, also dunnoe true anot.

For plants growth, Par and Lumens are the ones that you should look out for. WPG is a very very rough guide for gauging lighting for plants.

Check out these articles:

Lumens/PAR/PPFD/Watt per Gallon Topic

Light and Plants

Towards a Plant Growth Lumen

A Comparison Between Light Sources Used in Planted Aquaria
Old 10-12-2006, 02:07 AM   #4
the_r0ck

Arcadia do manufacture 14w tubes. C328 do have Arcadia tubes but perhaps they don't stock that wattage.

You can go down (or call) to Ecoculture or NA to check if they do stock them. I've personally never took notice of them before so can't tell you confidently exactly where you can find them.

If you have time, read through the articles cited as they are of good value, if you don't have the time then aim for what you are looking for, that is the 6500K lights. Anything above 10,000 is kinda off, they will be too bluish (they're more suitable for marine though, and I guess that's what the light set is originally for)

-Calvin
Old 10-12-2006, 05:08 AM   #5
retro1983

Tnkz for the reply.

My riccia starts to pearl, does it mean that my lightings are ok?
Old 10-12-2006, 12:19 PM   #6
cacatuoides

Do take note that your light tubes are NO and not HO type....do specific accurately when buying new tubes...
Old 10-12-2006, 12:40 PM   #7
the_r0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro1983 View Post
Tnkz for the reply.

My riccia starts to pearl, does it mean that my lightings are ok?
No, pearling doesn't really mean much, I personally feel that it is overhyped. Pearling merely means that there is an oversaturation of O2 in the tank and can be brought about by many diverse factors.

Would you believe that in a 15W tank with minimal plants, I had my nana pearling? It is yellowing on most of the leaves.

And do you know that after a water change most people experience pearling, and it is not because the plants are simply "refreshed", but because the new water contains more O2 and thus creates a false impression?

I am not trying to be wet blanket, but then there are more things you should look out for. For the best benefit of the plants, the Kelvins (K) should be within 6500 to 8000. Like what I explained earlier in a bad analogy, you can still read under a very orange filament bulb but its not the best situation. Your eyes will hurt in the long run.

If you manage to hunt down your tubes perhaps you can share it with us here, will help the other forummers.

-Calvin
Old 10-12-2006, 12:56 PM   #8
cacatuoides

Do take note that your light tubes are NO and not HO type....do specific accurately when buying new tubes...
Old 10-12-2006, 01:14 PM   #9
retro1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_r0ck View Post
No, pearling doesn't really mean much, I personally feel that it is overhyped. Pearling merely means that there is an oversaturation of O2 in the tank and can be brought about by many diverse factors.

Would you believe that in a 15W tank with minimal plants, I had my nana pearling? It is yellowing on most of the leaves.

And do you know that after a water change most people experience pearling, and it is not because the plants are simply "refreshed", but because the new water contains more O2 and thus creates a false impression?

I am not trying to be wet blanket, but then there are more things you should look out for. For the best benefit of the plants, the Kelvins (K) should be within 6500 to 8000. Like what I explained earlier in a bad analogy, you can still read under a very orange filament bulb but its not the best situation. Your eyes will hurt in the long run.

If you manage to hunt down your tubes perhaps you can share it with us here, will help the other forummers.

-Calvin
I will try to source for it, will update you guys when i found it...
Old 15-12-2006, 07:35 PM   #10
retro1983

Just went to NA and I got the lights I wanted.

Dun think Dymax produce any of the 2 ft lights suitable for Planted tanks. More on marine tanks.

Just got myself Aqua lux 14w 6700K.

Its quite difficult to get 2ft t5 tubes for planted tanks.