Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum

Old 16-12-2006, 09:03 AM   #11
cyberaro

Went tru some of the website, for a beginning ....the soil there are so many type so wat type of soil should I use...how thick or how many layer/type
Old 16-12-2006, 09:20 AM   #12
cwtan12
Dragon

www.my-mac.net That is Malaysian forum. It's easier for you to buy 2nd hand from there
cwtan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2006, 11:23 AM   #13
cyberaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwtan12 View Post
www.my-mac.net That is Malaysian forum. It's easier for you to buy 2nd hand from there
Thank for the website bro cwtan12.
Old 16-12-2006, 02:55 PM   #14
|squee|

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberaro View Post
Went tru some of the website, for a beginning ....the soil there are so many type so wat type of soil should I use...how thick or how many layer/type
Substrate has only two portions:
  • Base fertiliser
  • Gravel
The base fertiliser is optional. Having a base fertiliser allows you to be more relaxed with liquid fertilisation as the base fertiliser can act as a backup reservoir of nutrients.

The gravel can be any aquarium sand you want. Get something that is the same size like the coarse sand you find at beaches.

The above does not apply if you are using ADA Aquasoil. ADA Aquasoil can just be put into the aquarium without base fertiliser. Aquasoil is vulnerable to breaking down (it's literally a soil) so it cannot be reused as effectively in other tanks. It needs to be treated with respect.

I typically go for 10cm at the back sloping down to 5cm in front. This slope helps to create depth in your tank. Try going for higher at the back like 15cm, since this slope will flatten out over time by itself.
Old 16-12-2006, 03:49 PM   #15
the_r0ck

Just to add on to what Terence said, it is also dependent on your budget. ADA aquasoil is more expensive than a lapis sand and base fert combo.

There is no "perfect" substrate that will always work wonders. You can read up on the various brands of substrates and decide for yourself.

-Calvin
Old 16-12-2006, 04:50 PM   #16
cyberaro

Thank to all helpful bro in AF.....basically now I noe some basic thing about planted tank...keep the input coming I'm still learning and some time ask qn that sound silly to u all....anyway sorry if it sounded that way.
Old 16-12-2006, 08:09 PM   #17
|squee|

No question should be called a silly question!
Old 16-12-2006, 11:33 PM   #18
cyberaro

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by |squee| View Post
No question should be called a silly question!
Thanks
Old 03-09-2008, 08:09 PM   #19
leechaorui

I am starting a 4 ft plant tank with simple metal stand (purchased 2nd hand) and below are my cost expended so far.

4ft x 2ft x 2ft tank with gravel, fish & plants = $160
Transport (est.) = $ 70
1.5 years old Cannister (sun sun brand) = $ 50
4 ft PL light 4 x 36w = $ 80

Total = $360

Cost of CO2 system not included yet because I have not found a working second hand system. Second hand PL lights could be gotten cheaper because I just saw one bro advertised for $40 for 4ft lights.