Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 21-08-2007, 10:19 AM   #71
fireblade
Endangered Dragon

wah so little yest only?!
I added half a teaspoon and it started around 1 hour later... :>
but the solution only lasted for 8-9 days...
fireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 11:16 AM   #72
coryfav
Dragon

That's it.

More yeast, starts faster but won't last that long.
coryfav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 02:18 PM   #73
johannes

ya... as higher cell count increases more by products are also formed which in turn inhibit their survival, thus killing them faster...
Old 21-08-2007, 03:09 PM   #74
locksley

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireopal View Post
i added a little macdonald stirrer of yeast into my mix... and the thing took slightly more then a day to start fermenting....

yes, the alochol will kill the yeast at the end of it.. if only can find a way to remove alochol..
That is too little yeast IMHO.

It can be quite hard to tell/explain how much yeast to use. Most ppl say how many cups of sugar, teaspoons of carbonate/yeast but failed to mention how big is their cup/teaspoons.
Old 21-08-2007, 03:10 PM   #75
locksley

Actually, I read somewhere that NA sells CO2 sets for as low as $60. Why not just get the CO2 cylinder?

I'm thinking of getting one soon.
Old 21-08-2007, 03:28 PM   #76
mtanec

Play around with different level of yeast and sugar.. Combine with the use of baking powder and bicarbonate and cooked/uncooked rice for different results.. for more fun, raise the temperature..

after sometime, u will know how much of what to use to give u different results.. there again, there is no magic to DIY.. everything is inconsistent.. with enough experience, you will be able to get it to produce enough CO2 so fast and strong enough to blow through a ceramic diffusor for a couple of days, and also able to make it last for 1 month.. but there is no single solution where u can have it to produce fast and powerful CO2 to blow thru a ceramic diffusor constantly and accurately for 1 month.. it is either fast and deplete fast or slow and constant for long lasting effect..

1 tip to get the setup to quick start is the use of warm water.. Instant result is gaurantee if you resuse some of the yeast from the old solution.. keeping the bottle warm helps to keep the army of yeast going and able to utilise the sugar more efficiently..

depleted solution doesn't mean yeast is dead or no more sugar.. it could mean your solution is too concentrated also.. sometime diluting a almost depleting solution seems to revive the chemical reaction a bit..

after sometime, u will also understand fast and a lot of co2 is meaning if u cannot even get them to dissolve in the water.. u also need to look into how u dissolve CO2..

Last edited by mtanec; 21-08-2007 at 03:34 PM.
Old 21-08-2007, 03:35 PM   #77
mtanec

Quote:
Originally Posted by locksley View Post
Actually, I read somewhere that NA sells CO2 sets for as low as $60. Why not just get the CO2 cylinder?

I'm thinking of getting one soon.
DIY is fun !! and u learn a lot also..

personally, I find the Nutrafin bottle is not that effective as it is too small to hold sufficient content I need to get it run smoothly or at least in a more predictable manner as compared to the soft drink bottles I used to depend on in my younger days (where got such things as CO2 tank and diffusor/flipper).. The only good thing about Nutrafin Bottle is that u dun have to worry the joints are leaking or having the softdrink bottle to explode before you.. If exploded, u cannot imagine the mess it created all over the tank, the floor and urself with the stinky and sticky solution..
Old 21-08-2007, 08:00 PM   #78
fireopal

Quote:
Originally Posted by locksley View Post
That is too little yeast IMHO.

It can be quite hard to tell/explain how much yeast to use. Most ppl say how many cups of sugar, teaspoons of carbonate/yeast but failed to mention how big is their cup/teaspoons.
hmm..
unless they are using baking cups?
and tea spoons/ table spoons?
Old 21-08-2007, 10:28 PM   #79
locksley

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtanec View Post
DIY is fun !! and u learn a lot also..

personally, I find the Nutrafin bottle is not that effective as it is too small to hold sufficient content I need to get it run smoothly or at least in a more predictable manner as compared to the soft drink bottles I used to depend on in my younger days (where got such things as CO2 tank and diffusor/flipper).. The only good thing about Nutrafin Bottle is that u dun have to worry the joints are leaking or having the softdrink bottle to explode before you.. If exploded, u cannot imagine the mess it created all over the tank, the floor and urself with the stinky and sticky solution..
Wah...How did you make the soft drink bottle explode? I've used both the Nutrafin set as well as my own 100-plus bottle. I had 2 sources, overlapped so as to try and create a constant supply (not possible, still).

That was for my previous planted. Gave up cause it got over-run with BBA. Now using Excel only, intend to get CO2 somewhere down the road though.

DIY drink bottles can be quite hard to seal. If you use flipper at the end then not so bad, agar agar seal can liao. But if you wanna use ceramic must seal very tightly and don't anyhow twist it.
Old 21-08-2007, 10:30 PM   #80
locksley

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireopal View Post
hmm..
unless they are using baking cups?
and tea spoons/ table spoons?
Most of the guides I read last time never specify.

Just experiment around. In the beginning I was making/remaking mixtures very often. Try to keep track of the amount you put in each mix and slowly tune until you can get a mix that lasts for at least 3 weeks. I kept a chart of how long each mix lasted.