Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 26-08-2011, 08:36 AM   #21
bai
Dragon

For initial start of chiller it takes longer to chill down from ur existing tank water temp. After that should be fine.

But u try to check ur kick in and rest time if flowrate too slow it will result more kick in then that mean u pay more electricity bill.
bai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 09:52 AM   #22
marctan9

Initial start up take more than 2 hours to drop frm 27 to 25..after that about 2 hr kick in again..I thk it's not normal right?another thing,I place the chiller inside the cabinet below the fish tank with the back portion exposed..turns out become very hot..btw mine is a 2x1.5x1.5 tank
Old 26-08-2011, 11:25 AM   #23
cp1238

Hi marctan9, best your cabinet door remove,for cool air inlet and warm air exit for real cabinet.
Old 26-08-2011, 11:32 AM   #24
bigbird126

keeping chiller inside a conseal cabinet may affect cooling capability as not enough cold air circulation to cool down the unit. I hv a similiar setup with HC150a placing on open area which gave a better result.

Flow rate may be another cause but instead upgrading canister filter . Consider bro "gryphon" guide on modifying to external thermostat probe.

It help a lot on my new chiller setup..
Old 26-08-2011, 11:44 AM   #25
jwkb

Quote:
Originally Posted by marctan9 View Post
Initial start up take more than 2 hours to drop frm 27 to 25..after that about 2 hr kick in again..I thk it's not normal right?another thing,I place the chiller inside the cabinet below the fish tank with the back portion exposed..turns out become very hot..btw mine is a 2x1.5x1.5 tank
Initial start is fine for two hour..mine kick in after 2 to 3 hours and stay on for 1 and half hours or so to cool down from 26 to 24..

The room temp where you keep the tank is very important..if you keep tank in room that is hot in the evening or morning, the chiller will kick on more as compare with the tank put in living room where it's cooler. Like mine mine ank in in the living room and same time on the fan, so tank also benefit from the fan cooling effect.

It normal for the cabinet to be hot when the chiller is working..two way you can keep it cooler..buy a additional fan for you chiller or install a exhaust fan at the back or side of you cabinet..

For those that want to try..open your chiller..find wire that is conected with the chiller fan..cut it..rejoin the wire back together with a wire from an additional small fan that you can buy from hardware..the additional small fan must have long wire..when the chiller is on both fan will turn at the same time..this additional small fan can act as an exhoust fan..simply put in at the back facing out side to draw the hot air from the cabinet..
Old 26-08-2011, 11:44 AM   #26
gryphon
Arofanatic

Quote:
So now that your chiller is running, it kicks out (rest 2 hrs) then how long is the kick in (when chiller is running to cool the water).
The kick in period is the critical part as it will tell how "hard" your chiller is working and how fast your wallent get slimmer
If the kick in is too long, you should upgrade your canister.

Kick out period depends on your enviroment and can be extended; thicker glass for tank, insulation for tubing, using LED lights etc.

Better to place your chiller outside the cabinet. I suppose your back of your cabinet is near the wall and there is not sufficient space for heat to escape and there is not much air flow going into your closed cabinet
gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 12:23 PM   #27
bai
Dragon

Like all the other bros have mention above if rest for 2hrs is ok but we would need to know it kick in for how long to justify whether is it ok or not.
bai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 03:01 PM   #28
marctan9

Forge to add on,I am using a external thermostat..I just adjusted the temp to kick in at 25 and stop at 24..from what I see..rest time after the chiller stop is about 1hr...but because today is a rainy day,time taken to drop the temp is also ard there..
Old 26-08-2011, 03:02 PM   #29
marctan9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkb View Post
Initial start is fine for two hour..mine kick in after 2 to 3 hours and stay on for 1 and half hours or so to cool down from 26 to 24..

The room temp where you keep the tank is very important..if you keep tank in room that is hot in the evening or morning, the chiller will kick on more as compare with the tank put in living room where it's cooler. Like mine mine ank in in the living room and same time on the fan, so tank also benefit from the fan cooling effect.

It normal for the cabinet to be hot when the chiller is working..two way you can keep it cooler..buy a additional fan for you chiller or install a exhaust fan at the back or side of you cabinet..

For those that want to try..open your chiller..find wire that is conected with the chiller fan..cut it..rejoin the wire back together with a wire from an additional small fan that you can buy from hardware..the additional small fan must have long wire..when the chiller is on both fan will turn at the same time..this additional small fan can act as an exhoust fan..simply put in at the back facing out side to draw the hot air from the cabinet..
Where shld the fan be pointing at?the rear of the chiller?
Old 26-08-2011, 03:19 PM   #30
gryphon
Arofanatic

Quote:
Forge to add on,I am using a external thermostat..I just adjusted the temp to kick in at 25 and stop at 24..from what I see..rest time after the chiller stop is about 1hr...but because today is a rainy day,time taken to drop the temp is also ard there..
How long does your chiller runs during kick in?
gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote