Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 27-08-2011, 11:19 AM   #11
spottyfish

Having nerite snail should solve your problem like most bro commented. Myself, i have only 1 in my 2ft tank and it cleans pretty well
Old 27-08-2011, 11:55 AM   #12
lyk

wow , maybe i will get 1 cause i have the same problem as jweak13
Old 27-08-2011, 01:18 PM   #13
cp1238

Sorry everyone,i think horn merited snail is apple snail,i have two pieces in my tank,later will shifted to my 422 planted tank.
Old 27-08-2011, 04:48 PM   #14
Planted

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1238 View Post
Sorry everyone,i think horn merited snail is apple snail,i have two pieces in my tank,later will shifted to my 422 planted tank.
Horned nerite snail is not apple snail. Apple snail can grow up to 16cm and eats plants, frozen bloodworm and that could mean shrimplets too. Nerite and its family feed on algae related and does not harm the plant. If i dont remb wrongly, nerites and apple snails need partner to breed in certain condition that is different from freshwater shrimp. Pardon me if my info is inaccurate.

I personally find that horned nerites do better than zebra/spotted nerite. My zebra and olive nerite always stay on the bogwood. Whereas in another tank, my horned is always on the move. Wall, wood etc etc.
Old 27-08-2011, 04:50 PM   #15
Planted

To add on, my wall still have some algae stain which my nerites refuse to clean. Place them there and they run to the wood. U guys can try without wood first.
Old 27-08-2011, 06:39 PM   #16
FanAromatic
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planted View Post
Horned nerite snail is not apple snail. Apple snail can grow up to 16cm and eats plants, frozen bloodworm and that could mean shrimplets too. Nerite and its family feed on algae related and does not harm the plant. If i dont remb wrongly, nerites and apple snails need partner to breed in certain condition that is different from freshwater shrimp. Pardon me if my info is inaccurate.

I personally find that horned nerites do better than zebra/spotted nerite. My zebra and olive nerite always stay on the bogwood. Whereas in another tank, my horned is always on the move. Wall, wood etc etc.
I have one horned nerite snail, it does a good job for me. you are right, without partner they won't breed, thus, just keep one snail for one tank, once you have additional snail, then you will face big problem.
FanAromatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 09:05 PM   #17
Planted

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanAromatic View Post
I have one horned nerite snail, it does a good job for me. you are right, without partner they won't breed, thus, just keep one snail for one tank, once you have additional snail, then you will face big problem.
I use ecological method. If snails over infested, introduce livestock that feed on them in food chain. Assassin snails or puffer. Thus far even my pond snail dont breed in my nano tank. My assassin still useless. ;P
Old 27-08-2011, 09:59 PM   #18
MrBigFish

I think apple snail does a good job and fast. But mine eat plants too, so make sure its a not a planted tank.Pleco seems to be the best for me until they gets too big, but its afew years later so no worry yet.
Old 28-08-2011, 06:41 PM   #19
homura

nerite snails not bad, wont eat plants
Old 28-08-2011, 08:05 PM   #20
FanAromatic
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planted View Post
I use ecological method. If snails over infested, introduce livestock that feed on them in food chain. Assassin snails or puffer. Thus far even my pond snail dont breed in my nano tank. My assassin still useless. ;P
IMHO, I try not to create additional problem, though use one snail, but lighting and planting are important to reduce the algae to grow, however, if we put more snails, subsequently, we have use assassin snail to kill them, also after killing the other snails, algae might grow again.
FanAromatic is offline   Reply With Quote