Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox

Old 07-01-2013, 10:14 AM   #51
hkh
Arofanatic

Glad to see that Mindef is footing the bills......hope they investigate the accident throughly to prevent it from happening again.....
hkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #52
globalcookie
Dragon

SAF payouts for injury higher than civil cases
By Joy FangMy Paper
Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013

SINGAPORE - Compensation for injured military servicemen is "significantly higher" than amounts disbursed under the Work Injury Compensation Act and by the civil courts.

This was revealed by Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen, with reference to the long-term medical expenses and cost of living of injured navy serviceman Jason Chee.

Mr Chee, 29, was caught between a motorised winch and a rope on board a warship on Dec 10, resulting in the loss of both his legs, left arm and three fingers on his right hand.

Dr Ng said that the Defence Ministry will typically pay for all medical bills incurred by injured servicemen during treatment in public hospitals or clinics.

In addition, a lump-sum amount - based on the degree of permanent disability - will be awarded as compensation.

This amount is doubled in the event of disabilities resulting from military training or operations, he said.

Dr Ng said: "The Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) will aim to re-deploy disabled servicemen to vocations that fit their abilities."

He added that the SAF Benevolent Fund provides discretionary amounts in welfare support to injured servicemen.

"For example, a serviceman with total permanent disability will receive a one-off grant, as well as a monthly allowance for at least three years," he said.

Dr Ng did not reveal the exact amount Mr Chee will receive, but said the "base layer" is compatible with that of the Act, with additional amounts that are "much more generous".

Under the Act, compensation for permanent incapacity can range from $73,000 to $218,000.

An additional 25 per cent is awarded if an injured employee suffers total permanent incapacity.

-----------------------
What about DEATH? $2,000? $3,000? Plus a whatever $5 flag? and a 1 rank promotion to go command the ghost?
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #53
Aces
Arofanatic

Being honest the amount is very low since this guy is perm gonna be disabled liao.. 200k like very easy gone..
Aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #54
HeiYuEr

Garfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post
SAF payouts for injury higher than civil cases
By Joy FangMy Paper
Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013

Mr Chee, 29, was caught between a motorised winch and a rope on board a warship on Dec 10, resulting in the loss of both his legs, left arm and three fingers on his right hand.

i maybe black heart,but sometime....for such case,is better to die rather than living in pain
Tel - 6384 9931
Fax - 6384 9932
Mobile - 9082 8282
24hrs Towing Service - 8777 1161
HeiYuEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #55
stargazer
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeiYuEr View Post
i maybe black heart,but sometime....for such case,is better to die rather than living in pain
Not black heart, but it will take incredible perseverance to live on.
stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 12:51 AM   #56
stargazer
Dragon

I know some of us bros here have some problems, be it money, no job (like myself ), spouses quarrel...etc...but most of us at least still have our health. We can always get up easier than Jason Chee. This guy is an inspiration to us all. Hope this update will give you reasons to be hopeful!

Update:

When his superiors visited him at his hospital bed, navy man Jason Chee was drugged and drowsy but he tried to raise a hand to his forehead to salute them.
Family members watching him struggle to show this act of loyalty wept silently by his side.

The plight of the 30-year-old serviceman, who was critically injured in a horrific naval accident last December, moved a nation. Hundreds donated blood and money to help him.

He lost both his legs, his left arm and three fingers on his right hand.

Two weeks after the Dec 10 accident and to the immense relief of his family, Mr Chee pulled through and woke up on Christmas Eve.

Today, he can sit in a wheelchair. A piece of cloth is wrapped around the end of his torso to prevent him from falling over.

He looked calm and composed when The Sunday Times visited him last week. He described being upbeat about his recovery so far.

Over the Chinese New Year break, a chest tube which had been fitted in his body for the past two months to help him breathe easier was taken out.

And this week, he will cross another milestone - he will be transferred to Tan Tock Seng Hospital for rehabilitation.

He has come a long way, he said, from the first days of being admitted to Changi General Hospital.

"My face was bloated. My body was like, so huge in size," he recalled, adding that it might have been due to the drugs.

Earlier last month, he was able to breathe on his own again. A move to the hospital's general ward followed, where he now stays.

At Tan Tock Seng Hospital, he will be able to "train up his body" with more intense exercises.

"I'm happy," he said simply. "Because the worst pain is over."

The weapons systems supervisor described how, in the first weeks of recovery, he had to endure several procedures.

Coming to terms with disability

These included four operations which left him in a "terrible" daze, due to the powerful anaesthetic used.

Because his remaining right arm was hurt, he had to have blood withdrawn from his groin area instead - a total of 10 painful times.

Skin was grafted onto the wound of his remaining hand, covering the thumb which he lost in the mishap.

Painkillers and other drugs also kept him in a drowsy state. "I kept sleeping, kept having dreams."

Today, he is lucid and has to take painkillers only twice a day, along with vitamins.

He said he is coming to terms with the disability. "The accident already happened. So no choice; life has to go on," he said, with barely a trace of emotion.

Mr Chee, who holds the Military Expert 2 rank in the Republic of Singapore Navy, was caught between a motorised winch and a berthing rope while doing a routine check on board a warship.

On the loss of his limbs, he said stoically: "Just lost, lost lah. Because I still have hope."

The self-described "never-say-die" man believes that prostheses can be fitted in the future and that would make him whole again.

"And I can still move my right arm. I still have these fingers on my hand," he said, holding up his arm.

Physiotherapy, too, has taught him to sit up on his own, eat, brush his teeth and even comb his hair.

"My goal this year? I want to stand up and walk."

An only child whose mother died two years ago, Mr Chee said he is quite close to his retiree father, Mr Chee Kwok Chor, 72.

Cried

When he was working, his father would cook dinner for him every weekday. In turn, he would cook for his father on the weekends, and handle household chores such as sweeping, mopping and washing the toilet.

Both father and son are grateful for the outpouring of public support. When Mr Chee came around for the first time, he could not believe so many people had been praying and rooting for his recovery.

Relatives had told him about the sheer numbers of strangers donating blood and money.

More than 800 people flocked to blood banks last December, after an appeal by the Republic of Singapore Navy. Thousands also turned up to hand over more than $370,000 in cheques and cash at the Thomson Shunfu Residents' Committee, which was helping to raise funds for the family.

And SIM University (UniSIM), where he is enrolled, has collected some $25,000.

"The first thing that came to mind was, wow, the whole Singapore is supporting me," he said.

"I was so touched." He added wistfully: "I cried, I really cried."

Determined to look ahead, Mr Chee also wants to return to full-time studies at UniSIM.

He intends to obtain a degree in mathematics, a pet subject which he aced in secondary school. Mr Chee attended Westlake Primary School before going to Guangyang Secondary School. He joined the navy after graduating from Ngee Ann Polytechnic.

The private university has offered to sponsor his studies. The Ministry of Defence has also said it will pay for his medical and rehabilitation expenses, so Mr Chee is not worried about money matters.

"Only my health, I'm worried about," he said.

Looking forward

For now, he remains focused on completing his studies - which was brought up to the Naval Personnel Department to consider as his re-training phase.

"I just want to have a degree first," he said. "That is my mother's wish."

And support from relatives, friends, neighbours and fellow Singapore Armed Forces colleagues has helped to keep him going.

"They would visit me every day and encourage me to be positive," he said.

He added: "They called me a hero."

The memory of his late mother is also a source of strength. "Before she passed away, she told me not to give up on anything."
That is why he is set on rebuilding his life.

"My character is different from most people. I've got a good determination, a good fighting spirit."
stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 01:01 AM   #57
TOFUUUUUU
Dragon

Really respect his positive attitude.
TOFUUUUUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 01:06 AM   #58
hkh
Arofanatic

Yup....he had not lost hope despite such terrible accident..... wish he recover well.....
hkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #59
farish
Dragon

Very very strong willed person!

Can be motivational speaker in the future!!
farish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:49 PM   #60
Ariesdram
Arofanatic

The Straits Times
Navy serviceman Jason Chee, who lost both his legs and left arm in a ship accident last year, showed his undying spirit with a recent photograph of himself wearing his uniform and giving a salute towards the camera, while recuperating in hospital.

FOR MORE: http://bit.ly/10AUySs

-- PHOTO: FACEBOOK/JASON CHEE/CYBERPIONEER
Ariesdram is offline   Reply With Quote