Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 03-05-2017, 11:47 AM   #21
bobbysayang
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post
PM Lee discusses the issue of nepotism

Singapore's Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong was interviewd by Emmy award-winning journalist Charlie Rose.

Charlie Rose previously interviewed Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew and made many references to that interview throughout his conversation with PM Lee.

In the hour-long interview, PM Lee voiced his views on a number of issues ranging from the Nuclear Security Summit, US President Obama's global leadership and the US relationship with Asia and Singapore.

He also analysed Singapore's sensitivity towards the issue of nepotism.

Here are excerpts from the interview:

- On nepotism

Charlie Rose: All right, well, you seem to be sensitive -- you were -- to the issue of what's called nepotism.

PM Lee: We are very sensitive.

Charlie Rose: Tell me about the sensitivity.

PM Lee The whole of our system is founded on a basic concept of meritocracy. You are where you are because you are the best man for the job and not because of your connections or your parents or your relatives.

And if anybody doubts that I as prime minister is here not because I am the best man for the job but because my father fixed it or my wife runs Temasek because I put her there and not because she's the best woman for the job, then my entire credibility and moral authority is destroyed. I'm not fit to be where I am.

And it's a fundamental issue of fitness to govern. First you must have the moral right, then you can make the right decisions. It's a basic Confusion precept.

Charlie Rose: Only when you have to moral right can you make --

PM Lee: Then can you govern and make the country right.

And in Singapore people expect that. So if there's any doubt that this is so, and people believe that I'm there because my father fixed it or the whole system is just make-believe, then the system will come down. It's not tenable.

If it's true, it better be proven and I better be kicked out. If it's not true, it better also be proven to be not true and the matter put to rest.

----------------------

Why not let the people decide? Throw open the position of PM to contest between himself and DPM Tharman and let the people choose? Better still, throw open to anyone who wants to challenge it. Let the people decide who is the best man.
This moron is so full of himself, clearly parachuted all the way and still talk big.
bobbysayang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:09 AM   #22
AroHong

AFC Member

Quote:
There is NOOOOO NEPOTISM in singapore
Only Good Genes
AroHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:17 AM   #23
streetsmart73

Hi there !!! 123

i me myself syndrome
streetsmart73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:38 AM   #24
globalcookie
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AroHong View Post
Only Good Genes
Someone famously said "graduates should only marry graduates". Good genes,

Might as well pedigree.... marry own sibling.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:44 AM   #25
Auratus
Arofanatic

Quote:
Only Good Genes
No need good genes, same family tree can liao.
Auratus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:57 AM   #26
globalcookie
Dragon

family tree span far and wide, generations... thus tree right, many branches...

End up, i'm the ceo of company, coo my cousin, cfo my wife, cto my bro-in-law, coo my nephew, cso my cousin in-law, cio my distant niece, md my distant cousin, etc.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:32 PM   #27
AroHong

AFC Member

Quote:
family tree span far and wide, generations... thus tree right, many branches...

End up, i'm the ceo of company, coo my cousin, cfo my wife, cto my bro-in-law, coo my nephew, cso my cousin in-law, cio my distant niece, md my distant cousin, etc.
Ehh... this happen in many SG companies leh!
Even listed companies, 2nd brother Chairman, wife CFO, 3rd brother.CTO/COO, 4th brother Dir of Mktg, elder brother MD of subsidary company etc..
AroHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:35 PM   #28
bobbysayang
Arofanatic

Quote:
Ehh... this happen in many SG companies leh!
Even listed companies, 2nd brother Chairman, wife CFO, 3rd brother.CTO/COO, 4th brother Dir of Mktg, elder brother MD of subsidary company etc..
Unfortunately, this country is not their own company, it is ours!
bobbysayang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:27 PM   #29
globalcookie
Dragon

Power corrupts regardless of country, race, whatever. History has proven this.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:19 PM   #30
Kohaku
Dragon

Dun like that say lah. He work hard for it since he was "POSTED" as a PM. Maybe his current wife is a better calibre than his ex wife. How well do u know LHL, on a personnel level, other than what u perceive?

Try sitting in his position and run the country. Not everything will run smoothly as u want. It is how u solve the problems as it comes. I think he doesn't have a "memorable" child life like we do as his father is LKY. Freedom to play with other children without security etc. Give him some credit for the hard work, we dun see being done.

The power corrupts may happen to the other person appointed, not just family run business. That's why LKY was worry about it and so should we. Must pass to good hands and not just anyone. A country may just collapse just like that if wrongly manage.

Anyway we can still see if the roots grow deeper or not after he stepped down. Anyway i am not a full "pay and pay" supportor.

To end it all, would u willingly handover a company u put effort to build for 50yrs to outsiders or someone u know well? Not for me, but I will let a trustworthy person to takeover. Ask ur self and u will get ur answers.
Kohaku is offline   Reply With Quote