Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Catfish Forum > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 27-06-2008, 08:07 PM   #191
pinkfloyd777

Thanks for the reply Michael, yes i know the white spot/patch thing, it's fungus-like. So we will be careful with feeders or avoid it altogether. And catfishes are without scales so they will be more prone to skin-related diseases. I think a lot of us overlook this fact; we always have the mindset that most cats are hardy.
Old 27-06-2008, 08:12 PM   #192
Mr.XP
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkfloyd777 View Post
Thanks for the reply Michael, yes i know the white spot/patch thing, it's fungus-like. So we will be careful with feeders or avoid it altogether. And catfishes are without scales so they will be more prone to skin-related diseases. I think a lot of us overlook this fact; we always have the mindset that most cats are hardy.
agree. especially when there's any visible superficial injury gotta be especially careful with the water, if not infection'll set in.
Mr.XP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2008, 08:33 PM   #193
pinkfloyd777

yup mr. xp, that's right too.
Old 28-06-2008, 12:56 AM   #194
amiidae

update 27 06 08

batch 4

Took them out from the main tank.

currently housed in a 10L and started them with tubifix today.

amiidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008, 11:22 AM   #195
TS70
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiidae View Post
batch 4

Took them out from the main tank.

currently housed in a 10L and started them with tubifix today.
wow! will these be also out for sale to local hobbyists
amazed by the pc i got from u...such responsive catfish, swimming up begging for food

unlike those other pcs i hv which are nocturnal and only wanting live feed
TS70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008, 11:50 AM   #196
Michael178
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkfloyd777 View Post
They are hardy to a certain extend but certain factors must be upkeep. A small oversight might be a disaster in the looming. I overfilter all of my catfish tanks. It was a heavy price I had to pay for that goldfish or sump...sigh I guess we all learn in 1 way or another.
Michael178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008, 03:38 PM   #197
Mr.XP
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS70 View Post
wow! will these be also out for sale to local hobbyists
amazed by the pc i got from u...such responsive catfish, swimming up begging for food

unlike those other pcs i hv which are nocturnal and only wanting live feed
bro how big's your pc? for my pac i realise it is nocturnal, and i have to hand feed it in the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael178 View Post
They are hardy to a certain extend but certain factors must be upkeep. A small oversight might be a disaster in the looming. I overfilter all of my catfish tanks. It was a heavy price I had to pay for that goldfish or sump...sigh I guess we all learn in 1 way or another.
bro could you explain more regarding 'overfiltering'?
Mr.XP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008, 03:47 PM   #198
Michael178
Arofanatic

It basically means where a single ehiem 2028 would have suffice for the tank, I would use 2 nos or a pro3. Just like my current tank running on a sump and a pro3. I get very clean water and incase 1 filter fails I still have the other.
Michael178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008, 03:57 PM   #199
Raptor22
Dragon

Here's my lophiosilurus alexandri, now at 19.0 cm. The other new pacman catfish is nearing 13.0 cm but couldn't take a shot of him as there was too much sand on its body, it only comes out to feed at night.
Raptor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008, 04:19 PM   #200
pinkfloyd777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael178 View Post
It basically means where a single ehiem 2028 would have suffice for the tank, I would use 2 nos or a pro3. Just like my current tank running on a sump and a pro3. I get very clean water and incase 1 filter fails I still have the other.
Hello Michael (and others too) ,

What do you propose to put in the 2ft black ohf as filter medias? I am using 2 tier diy ohf black box. At the moment I put ceramic rings in both. Bottom box the coarse type bigger rings and in the top box the smooth type smaller sized cr (or is it sintered glass rings).

Also what is the most ideal powerhead capacity for the water to cycle just nice to let beneficial bacteria growth comfortably. Right now I'm using Dolphin pump 1000l/hr which although seems to create enough water currents in tank (where pacman seems to be enjoying); I think water cycle too fast to let bb growth.

Exact tanksize will be L24" x W12" x H14". Water volume based on af.com tank calculator will be 66.23 litres at 90% full.

Any opinions are welcomed.

Thanks.

Last edited by pinkfloyd777; 28-06-2008 at 04:22 PM. Reason: add text