Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > General Freshwater Forum

Closed Thread

Old 18-09-2009, 04:10 PM   #71
redbull1023

hi bros i bought a few pieces of this golden masheer as claimed frm the LFS.can any bros here pls help me verify this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k1.JPG
Views:	317
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	241320   Click image for larger version

Name:	k2.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	241321  

Old 18-09-2009, 07:01 PM   #72
FishyAmazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull1023 View Post
hi bros i bought a few pieces of this golden masheer as claimed frm the LFS.can any bros here pls help me verify this?
Looks like tengas (green kelah) to me, note the mouth upper lip over-lapping the lower lip forming something like a protruding nose.

Which LFS did you get this from?

Old 18-09-2009, 09:47 PM   #73
redbull1023

hmm...tads wad i m afraid of....but i have kept greens before and to be frank these babes r different leh..they have goldish reddish finnages and gold shine on their upper body unlike greens

Old 19-09-2009, 01:23 AM   #74
dragonhart
Dragon

C328 have 2 kinds of golds:

1 is gold kelah (jin ji luo)...this one looks like green kelah..snout and body shape...price also same as green kelahs fr other LFS. i showed a pc of 2 of mine in an earlier thread, they do have copper color n shiny scales with some reddish fins.

btw C328 don't have "green kelah"....so perhaps this "gold kelah" is the green kelah found in other LFS...just speculating...

another 1 is "Himalayan golden mahseer"...this is what most bros here call "gold kelah or mahseer", i am keeping
Old 19-09-2009, 01:09 PM   #75
redbull1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonhart View Post
C328 have 2 kinds of golds:

1 is gold kelah (jin ji luo)...this one looks like green kelah..snout and body shape...price also same as green kelahs fr other LFS. i showed a pc of 2 of mine in an earlier thread, they do have copper color n shiny scales with some reddish fins.

btw C328 don't have "green kelah"....so perhaps this "gold kelah" is the green kelah found in other LFS...just speculating...

another 1 is "Himalayan golden mahseer"...this is what most bros here call "gold kelah or mahseer", i am keeping
yup....ur description of your kelah sounds very similar to mine...mine has copperish scales and reddish fin too......wah lau gold kelah oso got two types.............the world of kelahs is damn confusing....but intriguing

Old 19-09-2009, 01:11 PM   #76
redbull1023

greens kelah i kept before...their bodies are reaally very pale and sliverish....finnages wise got light blue to greenish tinge. maybe the kelah tad dragonhart and i have shown are a sub species of gold?

Old 20-09-2009, 12:50 PM   #77
FishyAmazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull1023 View Post
greens kelah i kept before...their bodies are reaally very pale and sliverish....finnages wise got light blue to greenish tinge. maybe the kelah tad dragonhart and i have shown are a sub species of gold?
I got mine from a large LFS. It was labelled as a red - at a the price of a red. Dark brown to Goldish body with deep red colouration on its fins. I have learned later (after buying) on how to identify tengas from the mouth thru a bro here - heart-breaking on my wallet.

Tengas have many different colouration like Mahseers that we keep. I have seen many tengas from silversih to gold and dark copper. Not sure if i'm speculating but i got to know that better quality tengas with red finnages are known as 'Kelah Hijau' - another example of how a common name can be misleading at times - maybe LFS should start displaying scientific names instead.

Old 20-09-2009, 01:38 PM   #78
FishyAmazon

Features of a Tor Putitora:

Name:	TorPutitora_Outline_Pic.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	241493

A true blue Himalayan Golden Mahseer - note the golden colouration

Name:	TorPutitora_India.jpg
Views:	598
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	241494

Tor Putitora i bought from LFS - i believe a Burma sub-species of Tor Putitora as India dont export such fishes. These pics were taken in April this year, it now has grown to show a faint black line across it's body and reddish tail

Name:	Golden1.jpg
Views:	956
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	241495

Hope this helps for some of us still confused by the labels put in LFS as golden kelahs but may actually be a tenga instead. There's also a past thread put up by another bro here with identification of a tenga vs kelah.

Last edited by FishyAmazon; 20-09-2009 at 01:49 PM.

Old 20-09-2009, 01:46 PM   #79
FishyAmazon

Another pic of a True Himalayan Golden Mahseer - note the snout position

Name:	TorPutitora_India2.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	241498

Old 23-09-2009, 12:00 AM   #80
iinkeren

some of my fishes:

Closed Thread