Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 20-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #151
Schmike
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafantastic View Post
Hmm...may i know how you differentiate males from females?
Have read up a lot of articles saying females are usually bigger than males, males have darker throats, looser skin under throats, males develop nuptial pads, males croak and sing. Any other obvious ways to tell their gender?
Thanks and appreciate it!
Nuptial pad are the best bet. Both males and females can croak. But I think the latest batch is too young to tell.
Schmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #152
bettafantastic
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmike View Post
Nuptial pad are the best bet. Both males and females can croak. But I think the latest batch is too young to tell.
Yes, from what i read, must be of breeding age, like 1 year old. Never mind, i just go there buy 5 pcs, hopefully got mixture
bettafantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 07:40 PM   #153
lucas_1957
Dragon

BTW, it is essential to cover all possible gaps for escape as these frogs can flatten their body and squeeze through the gaps even though they might look too fat to squeeze through.

There was one night all four of my frogs escaped by squeezing through the gaps it was a real shock when i found my tank empty in the morning.
lucas_1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #154
lucas_1957
Dragon

BTW Bettafantastic, just curious, how big is your outdoor tank?
Old 20-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #155
bettafantastic
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas_1957 View Post
BTW, it is essential to cover all possible gaps for escape as these frogs can flatten their body and squeeze through the gaps even though they might look too fat to squeeze through.

There was one night all four of my frogs escaped by squeezing through the gaps it was a real shock when i found my tank empty in the morning.
Sounds like a real nightmare! Now must super glue the cover to the tank liao...haha
Still keeping the frogs now? Heard they got a lifespan of 10 years or more..
Old 20-06-2012, 07:44 PM   #156
bettafantastic
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
BTW Bettafantastic, just curious, how big is your outdoor tank?
2ft x 1ft x 1 ft, is it big enough for 5 frogs? Frog size should be estimate...2 inch? Cos i dont know the size Petmart selling..
Old 20-06-2012, 07:50 PM   #157
lucas_1957
Dragon

Quote:
Sounds like a real nightmare! Now must super glue the cover to the tank liao...haha
Still keeping the frogs now? Heard they got a lifespan of 10 years or more..

2ft x 1ft x 1 ft, is it big enough for 5 frogs? Frog size should be estimate...2 inch? Cos i dont know the size Petmart selling..
Yup, i am still keeping them. i got the frogs in the recent shipment too, have been keeping them for about 3 weeks. Luckily my balcony has a lot of plants, so even if they escape i know they will be hiding among the plants, will not run too far.

As for your tank size, i dont think it is big enough for 5 frogs, and the height is rather low. Actually when you mentioned outdoor tank, i expected it to be much bigger than your current indoor tank. Why dont you use your current indoor tank?
Old 20-06-2012, 07:55 PM   #158
bettafantastic
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Yup, i am still keeping them. i got the frogs in the recent shipment too, have been keeping them for about 3 weeks. Luckily my balcony has a lot of plants, so even if they escape i know they will be hiding among the plants, will not run too far.

As for your tank size, i dont think it is big enough for 5 frogs, and the height is rather low. Actually when you mentioned outdoor tank, i expected it to be much bigger than your current indoor tank. Why dont you use your current indoor tank?
I plan to use indoor if their croak is not too loud. Actually the outdoor tank is "plan B". Btw the out doortank is styrofoam boxes, i can do a 4ft since i got enough space. Then inside the boxes is wrapped with a layer of clear plastic I know these frogs prefer height than length so still thinking.. Everything all DIY, even the cover DIY..
Old 20-06-2012, 08:05 PM   #159
lucas_1957
Dragon

Quote:
I plan to use indoor if their croak is not too loud. Actually the outdoor tank is "plan B". Btw the out doortank is styrofoam boxes, i can do a 4ft since i got enough space. Then inside the boxes is wrapped with a layer of clear plastic I know these frogs prefer height than length so still thinking.. Everything all DIY, even the cover DIY..
Wah, so hardcore If you do a 4 ft, i think you can keep more than 5 frogs, maybe 8? However, will styrofoam be durable enough?

Reg the croacking, somehow my frogs normally dont croak, they croak only for maybe a few seconds when another frog steps over them. I think the sound should be ok, you should be more concerned about the crickets instead
Old 20-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #160
bettafantastic
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Wah, so hardcore If you do a 4 ft, i think you can keep more than 5 frogs, maybe 8? However, will styrofoam be durable enough?

Reg the croacking, somehow my frogs normally dont croak, they croak only for maybe a few seconds when another frog steps over them. I think the sound should be ok, you should be more concerned about the crickets instead
Yes, the styrofoam are good enough, they dont have direct rain/ wind, it is sort of sheltered.
As for crickets, no need worry, my school and near my house got quite a number of grasshoppers, last time i use to catch them fro fun, now got use already, maybe once in a while a feed crickets..since grasshopper feels quite hard, afraid they may cause indigestion.