Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-02-2018, 06:47 AM   #22
NI KI
Arofanatic

Default How Liverpool's Marko Grujic is 'toughening up' during loan spell with Cardiff City

Marko Grujic's loan spell at Cardiff has "toughened him up" according to Bluebirds boss Neil Warnock.

The Liverpool midfielder has been sent out to the Championship promotion-chasers in a bid to gain first-team football experience. Grujic made just six appearances for the Reds this season, but has already started three games at Cardiff - including an FA Cup tie against Pep Guardiola's Manchester City.

Reds boss Jurgen Klopp is a fan of the 21-year-old, though the feeling at Melwood is that he needs to smooth out the rough edges in his game if he is to have a long-term future at Anfield. Defensive awareness, positional discipline and consistency are just three areas Grujic has been encouraged to work on specifically.

Warnock, though, says he is already seeing signs of progress from the former Red Star Belgrade man, who is expected to start once more when Cardiff travel to Millwall on Friday night.

“He’s catching up and he’s getting better” said Warnock.

“It’s difficult for him to be flung straight in, with the second game being Manchester City.

“I think it’s toughened him up being with us. When he first came into training, he left a little bit to be desired should we say.

“But you soon get into it with us – when you train as hard as we do, you want to be like that.

“And I think it’s improved his game. The minimum requirement is effort because when you have ability like he has, it comes through on top. I think he’s realised that early doors and wants to stay in the team.

“He wants to play and wants to go to the World Cup. He’s in the window and has got 17 games to show it.

“I won’t play him if he doesn’t deserve to be in the team – I keep reading I’ve got to play him but all it is is that he have to pay more money if I don’t. The club agreed to that so it’s not my worry.”

Grujic has been booked in two of his three appearances for his new club - no surprise to anyone who has witnessed his rather enthusiastic tackling style at Liverpool over the past 12 months.

But despite a comfortable defeat at the hands of City, Cardiff have benefited from the youngster's tenacity and physical attributes - particularly when winning 4-1 at Leeds last time out.

“In every game he’s stuttered at times and then regained his composure, but I think he’s learning about what we want him to do,” Warnock added.

“He can play different roles and we’re trying teach him those roles. He’s such a great lad and great athlete as well.

“Second-half last week he made some wonderful headers, so it’s not just his creativity, although he can spot a pass, which is great for us.

“But with the pace of the Championship, he has to get involved quickly because if you have too many touches you’ve lost it and you’re under the cosh. He’s learning and he’ll be better.”
NI KI is offline   Reply With Quote