Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum

Old 02-10-2006, 11:47 PM   #11
ndru

Quote:
Originally Posted by reversebungee View Post
I rmb when i was stil very young, +/- 10 yrs ago.
I saw a hong kong show, introduce one "crystal ball".
It was basically, a glass sphere tank, with a plant inside and about 8 neon tetra. the special thing was, the sphere was sealled.

Yap... i know about this. My nano tank is just beside the window so i not using any lightings.
I notice that my nano tank, the temp is very high, i put my finger in to feel... it actually feels HOT (warm lah actualy). then i measure with thermometer, 30C!! where my 2ft planted tank, just 1/2 ft away, measure at 26C....
Difference of 4C!!!!!
Any idea why like dat?
i guess the logic is that the bigger the tank is, there will be more water for the heat to spread out. so smaller tank will get heated faster and easier.

just like u have to kettles, one small and one big. if you boil them at the same time, the smaller kettle will boil first at the molecule is closer to each other and has more energy....something like that la...

just my 2 cents...correct me if i m wrong..noob here
Old 03-10-2006, 02:26 PM   #12
reversebungee

From Petfrd.com....
Quote:
Nano tanks, as the name implies refers to tanks which are minute in size. While seemingly a difficult size to work with as far as aquascaping is concerned as choice of plants, fish etc are much more limited, a small tank presents an opportunity for the hobbyist to horne his/her skills at aquascaping. The challenge of a Nano tank is to create a beautifully vibrant aquascape despite the confines of a small tank.

Also, with the size, comes a small volume of water in which the tank can hold. A small volume equates to greater sensitivity to changes in water conditions. As such, again the mantle of the hobbyist is tested to properly handle such changes in conditions in a given volume.

However a Nano tank is relatively cheap to setup and maintain, given the limited size.
Here is a few prize winning photos of Nano tanks - Petfrd.com.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:36 PM   #13
reversebungee

i just started cycling a nano tank of 14cm by 14cm by 18cm... with these type of sand

I notice a very small current can make the water milky bcos of these fine sand.
Did i make the wrong choice of the sand? shld i choose a heavier and bigger sand?
Old 04-10-2006, 08:28 AM   #14
Sunfire

Just dont have fish that stir up the substrate...
Old 04-10-2006, 12:32 PM   #15
the_r0ck

The sealed up sphere I heard and saw before was one where there are some plants and a shrimp or two inside only. It was a novelty then but it is inhumane to do that. It was the hawaiian shrimp I think or some exotic breed that just feeds on its own skin and such.

Use a fan or keep it at a cool spot in your house. Given the small size it should be easy to plonk anywhere.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:20 PM   #16
Mali
Dragon

Default Starting Non co2 1ft soon

i would be starting a 1ft tank soon , so now browsing and learning from fellow bros/sis here. now thinking about the plants since i am not putting co2. just share with all of you pic of my bare tank. all ready except i still plan to buy aquasand and fan. plant wise for non co2 got any idea what plan nice and able to survive? my light i am not sure how strong cos bought it second hand 5mths ago (that time use this tank to put guppies) Have a great day all. and one more thing, went down to NA today and it was close so just for your info NA is close from today 111006 to 141006.

Last edited by Mali; 31-12-2006 at 10:13 PM.
Mali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 10:36 PM   #17
reversebungee

Wanna see more Nano (Mini) tanks?

Click here

From Akwarium.org

Some tanks are really out of thos world.....
Old 11-10-2006, 10:46 PM   #18
reversebungee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mali View Post
i would be starting a 1ft tank soon , so now browsing and learning from fellow bros/sis here. now thinking about the plants since i am not putting co2. just share with all of you pic of my bare tank. all ready except i still plan to buy aquasand and fan. plant wise for non co2 got any idea what plan nice and able to survive? my light i am not sure how strong cos bought it second hand 5mths ago (that time use this tank to put guppies) Have a great day all. and one more thing, went down to NA today and it was close so just for your info NA is close from today 111006 to 141006.
Ok, for me my nano tank is 14cmW, 14cmL, 18cmH... so is really nano.
The plants that i have inside now is, blyxia japonica, hair grass, spiky moss, windelov and Sagittaria subulata (i think so).

ofcos nana and java ferns is of good choice too.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:18 PM   #19
Mali
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by reversebungee View Post
Wanna see more Nano (Mini) tanks?

Click here

From Akwarium.org

Some tanks are really out of thos world.....
Thanks reversebungee! hmm still searching for ideas for my scape but already decide to use rocks for my scape.windelov looks nice but wont they grow large? saw this plant, Eleocharis parvula from another forum, they say its easy. somesort of hairgrass.any idea where to get? and bro, where can get nice looking rocks?

Last edited by Mali; 31-12-2006 at 10:13 PM.
Mali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 11:16 AM   #20
reversebungee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mali View Post
Thanks reversebungee! hmm still searching for ideas for my scape but already decide to use rocks for my scape.windelov looks nice but wont they grow large? saw this plant, Eleocharis parvula from another forum, they say its easy. somesort of hairgrass.any idea where to get? and bro, where can get nice looking rocks?
windelov can grow to qite some size... but for ur 1ft tank i dun think it is a problem. in my 2ft tank, the heigth of the windelov is about ~10cm..

for small DW and rocks, got o biotope at bukit merah. i saw lots of it.
There are some plants aso, any many fishes suit for nano tanks.