Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Stingrays & other bottom dwellers Forum

Old 19-05-2011, 12:49 PM   #11
Schmike
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeTtA_GeNe View Post
Schmike:i believe the picture you reference is from d's room , which they do not have palmas palmas in their list, they simply just lump them together,the other websites posting brown buetties were in year 2008, when palmas palmas were elusive to japs and i believe it poses a difficulty as for knowing them enough and to id them as palmas palmas , and if i nv remember wrongly palmas palmas was named new speciea third prize in 09 aquarama...i maybe wrong too
Kohaku also mentioned that it was awarded 3rd in AQ09. I did saw that 3 specimens there that time. But I can't remember how they look like exactly now.

What I notice about those brown buetti is that the body is mainly brown based while palmas have light markings covering almost their entire body besides those black markings. Spottings on the head of those brown buettis are less obvious compared to palmas. The markings on the pectoral fins of those brown buettis are not as obvious as palmas.

Could those really be a buetti variant or just low quality palmas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyogasmask View Post
Palmas Palmas elusive to "Japs" in 2008? You sure about that?
And I don't mean to be an arse, but can we lose the "Japs", it is a derogatory term remember!
Any inputs? I have been staring at those brown buettis and palmas palmas images and I do believe they could be 2 different species with some pretty obvious differences mentioned above.
Schmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 12:54 PM   #12
chowmingen
Arofanatic

Default hello!

i know this may be dumb, but i decided to post it here, cause i need experienced advices from you all, wild bichir fantics (i am one too!). this tank seller guy, previously has this planted 522 tank, and he has cleared most of the soil, left with bits of sand, and the soil mark in the insides of the tank. however, i currently have got 2 wild congicus and 1 guinean endi in my 2ft tank, and i need to do up everything fast enough. so, how do i quickly cycle the tank, or rather, just place them in straightaway, with the water filled up and conditioned with seachem prime, ultimate coat, and seachem stability? cos i didnt cycle the 2ft tank, and the bichirs seem fine?
chowmingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 01:26 PM   #13
desmondpeh
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowmingen View Post
i know this may be dumb, but i decided to post it here, cause i need experienced advices from you all, wild bichir fantics (i am one too!). this tank seller guy, previously has this planted 522 tank, and he has cleared most of the soil, left with bits of sand, and the soil mark in the insides of the tank. however, i currently have got 2 wild congicus and 1 guinean endi in my 2ft tank, and i need to do up everything fast enough. so, how do i quickly cycle the tank, or rather, just place them in straightaway, with the water filled up and conditioned with seachem prime, ultimate coat, and seachem stability? cos i didnt cycle the 2ft tank, and the bichirs seem fine?
Bro, pls do not put in live stocks when your tank isnt properly cycle. I will suggest u leave the bichirs in the 2ft tentatively. Be sure to have proper tank cover as they are really strong and high jumpers bro. Next, please cycle your new 522 tank up using the products you mentioned above. Is seachem stability meant for hastening bb buildup? If no, I suggest you can get bacterlife from API and apply into your new tank setup. You can also use your existing 2ft tank's filter wool (dirty used ones) in the new tank to help hasten the cycling process. You can start off by adding in some feeders to test water the tank the following day and see if they are okie. Usually I will add in the fishes the 3rd day if I see the feeders are all okie.
desmondpeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 02:06 PM   #14
washywashy
Dragon

I concur with bro desmondpeh.. May I know what type of filtration you are using for your new tank?
washywashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 02:10 PM   #15
chowmingen
Arofanatic

canister filter, eheim 2217 for the 522 tank. but it has been recommended that it isnt sufficient. whats should be the filter flow rate of 450l tank ah? 2-3times for bio cultivation, but yesterday learnt that 4-5 times for crystal clear water.
Old 19-05-2011, 02:11 PM   #16
BeTtA_GeNe
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmike View Post
Kohaku also mentioned that it was awarded 3rd in AQ09. I did saw that 3 specimens there that time. But I can't remember how they look like exactly now.

What I notice about those brown buetti is that the body is mainly brown based while palmas have light markings covering almost their entire body besides those black markings. Spottings on the head of those brown buettis are less obvious compared to palmas. The markings on the pectoral fins of those brown buettis are not as obvious as palmas.

Could those really be a buetti variant or just low quality palmas?

Any inputs? I have been staring at those brown buettis and palmas palmas images and I do believe they could be 2 different species with some pretty obvious differences mentioned above.
yes bro , but if we get to see more and more specimens i think it will be healthy discussion or maybe picture of those at AQ 09...Anything could be possible...You got you palmas already?
BeTtA_GeNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 02:26 PM   #17
desmondpeh
Senior Dragon

Quote:
canister filter, eheim 2217 for the 522 tank. but it has been recommended that it isnt sufficient. whats should be the filter flow rate of 450l tank ah? 2-3times for bio cultivation, but yesterday learnt that 4-5 times for crystal clear water.
For a 522 setup, I will go for at least 2 sets of 2028 or more powerful cannisters bro. Is your tank able to put OHF bro? If yes, it will be good to get Mr Aqua stackable OHF for it as mechanical filtration.
Old 19-05-2011, 02:36 PM   #18
chowmingen
Arofanatic

hmm isnt 2 sets of 2028 too overpowering?
Old 19-05-2011, 02:49 PM   #19
Schmike
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
There is no such thing as over filtration. my 6x2.5x2.5 is on 1x 2028, 1x xp3 and a OHF. Now, those are barely enough for my tank.
Schmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 02:55 PM   #20
desmondpeh
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmike View Post
There is no such thing as over filtration. my 6x2.5x2.5 is on 1x 2028, 1x xp3 and a OHF. Now, those are barely enough for my tank.
Yeah.. my current 422 is running on a OHF, 1 x 2028, 1 x 2075 and ~2L of K1 medias and the water is still not in optimum condition due to I have a bad habit of overcrowding my tank.