Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 19-05-2011, 03:33 PM   #51
fireblade
Endangered Dragon

did you soak the drift wood with boiling hot water before putting in to your tank? it will help will the tannins

btw, when cycling the tank, you do not need to add any fish inside to kill them...
fireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 03:39 PM   #52
fireblade
Endangered Dragon

just bought purigen to try also...
must say that they are really tiny!! looks like brine shrimp eggs size. I have just bought those white cloth for putting over tap to collect impuritis hope that it will work out well...
bought those fine filter bag from 328 and the hole is still too big for purigen... maybe use those cloth coffee filter like the ones use in coffee shop will do the job..
fireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 04:41 PM   #53
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
did you soak the drift wood with boiling hot water before putting in to your tank? it will help will the tannins

btw, when cycling the tank, you do not need to add any fish inside to kill them...
Yup, i did soak, but prob not enough. Was too anxious. Lesson learnt! The next tank I'm setting up, I will try the fishless cycling.

Do update us on your experience with using Purigen! As bro Psych mentioned, putting in a bag will only use up the outer layers of beads first. Prob have to keep cycling around the media inside the bag. I am hesitating to buy, coz I still have quite a few bags of AC unused. Will swap the old ones out after 3 weeks. If all the AC is used and the tannins are still present, then I'll prob have to go for the Purigen.

Thanks for visiting!
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 08:35 PM   #54
JadeIceGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-san View Post
JIG:

The Aquaclear's working out fine. It's really silent and clears up the tank really quick. My only beef is the Amazon Frogbits. Drives me nuts everyday. The frogbits have these really long and fragile roots that get easily torn off when they get snagged on my DW. The roots then get sucked into the filter inlet. As I wanted to have my filter inlet closer to the bottom of the tank, I used the extension intake tube provided with the Aquaclear. This resulted in me having 2 inlet sieves to unchoke as and when the roots get sucked into the intake tube, since the intake tube and inlet sieve are 1 complete unit. lol, I hope you get what I'm trying to describe. Will post pics when I get home after work today for better comprehension.

On a side note, i'm thinking of dismantling the rock shelter on the left side of the tank. Am just wondering what to do with that space though. The tank looks really bare with just the 1 DW and 2 nanas. Anyone has any suggestion?
Good to hear that Aquaclear filters live up to their name. Yeah, frogbits and duckweed have drove a lot of us nuts. I look forward to your pics.
Its a good idea to remove that rock. It does not look natural in my opinion. Get more wood and other kind of rocks to fill up that space.
Old 19-05-2011, 11:49 PM   #55
psych

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
maybe use those cloth coffee filter like the ones use in coffee shop will do the job..
Bro dont do that! I originally used coffee bag for my Purigen. At first I was sure it will work as well. The Purigen beads doesn't seem to seep through the bag. So I placed it in my canister filter. On day 2, I was kia-si, so I opened my canister to check, all still good. But 1 week later I opened, the bag broke. I tell I had such a hard time salvaging it because it was so small and it was ALL OVER the place, in my ceramic rings, sponge etc. I guess the coffee bag was not strong enough to endure being soaked for such a long time under strong a current.

And if you think using a very thick coffee bag could produce a better result, it won't. That's because I'm already using a a proper micron bag now, with not very good water contact results with the Purigen. So using a thick coffee bag will further more decrease the effectiveness of using Purigen as water will not be able to swiftly flow through it.
Old 19-05-2011, 11:59 PM   #56
psych

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-san View Post
Psych:

It looks like Purigen-in-a-bag isn't working out that well. Am not too sure how a pre-filter works. Would you need an additional pump or higher volume pump to ensure you don't suffer too much loss in flowrate? I did remember watching a video where a canister was used to house some media which were free moving. The water flow through the canister was whirling the media around the canister. Am not too sure if this is what you were referring to. If I remember reading correctly, Purigen comes in very small beads. Will be quite a task trying to contain the beads in the canister, if that's what you were referring to.

Planaria refers to the white worms? Am going to do a water change + a filter cleaning this friday. Hopefully it's due to excess food particles stuck in the filter. Will prob do a few water changes regularly after that. Hope that helps to clear out the Planaria.
That's the one. I'm not sure if flowrate will be drastically affected as I have not tried it, but I doubt so. Here's the post arofanatics[dot]com/forums/showthread.php?t=367264&highlight=purigen+reactor& page=4

On page 4 the TS quoted

Quote:
Yesterday went hunting for equipment could not find an affordable fluidized reactor. Came across a jamo brand japanese prefilter and bought it 20 bux. Put filter wool 1 layer on bottom and top, for top supported by a circular biosponge.

Wow instant fluidized reactor for 100g of purigen! Working perfectly. The jamo prefilter is marvellous quality, also has 4 hozelock system hose fasteners and totally watertight and airtight under pressure. I tossed in a bag of oyster shell for ph buffering too. It's in the reator chamber with the purigen. After 12 hours my nitrate is ZERO.

All equipment from seaview. The young girl there who is product king is very helpful. She gave me this idea and it works great.
Though I am also quite skeptical on containing the beads within.
Old 21-05-2011, 04:46 PM   #57
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Prob can try with coarse japanese mat to cover the inlet and outlet? Though you might have to unclog often if the Purigen begins to block up the outlet portion.
Old 21-05-2011, 04:54 PM   #58
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeIceGreen View Post
Good to hear that Aquaclear filters live up to their name. Yeah, frogbits and duckweed have drove a lot of us nuts. I look forward to your pics.
Its a good idea to remove that rock. It does not look natural in my opinion. Get more wood and other kind of rocks to fill up that space.
Haha. Removed the rock. Bought some plants to add in. Then found the plants I bought aren't aquatic plants. So i removed those as well. Re-positionef the big block of driftwood, coz i wanted to give the cories more tank space at the bottom. Will post some pics up when I get the chance. So now there's still this big empty space there. Still thinking what I can do with it. Prob is that with the frogbits in place, there isn't much light filtering through, plus the repositioned driftwood has the longer section now located on top, so it acts like an overhang. The tannins in the water isn't helping much either coz alot of the lighting is diffused. Lol. Hmmm...
Old 23-05-2011, 09:23 AM   #59
JadeIceGreen

I hate aquarium shops that sell plants that are not aquatic. At the very least, they should have warned buyers that these plants are not suitable for an aquatic environment. IMO, its cheating.

Looking forward to your pictures. You could use activated carbon to clear up the tannins.
Old 23-05-2011, 10:50 AM   #60
burntrubber
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeIceGreen View Post
I hate aquarium shops that sell plants that are not aquatic. At the very least, they should have warned buyers that these plants are not suitable for an aquatic environment. IMO, its cheating.
That would be practically every shop in Singapore. I don't know who is the cheater that came up with this idea. I once asked the plant farm owner, why do they sell it. 'Got demand'. Since most of the buyers are not serious planted tank keepers, they don't care if the plant dies or not. They just want something to beautify the tank. These terrestrial plants can last a couple of months before they die as compared with aquatic plants that will die shortly if conditions are not right.
burntrubber is offline   Reply With Quote