Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 11-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #1
JadeIceGreen

Default JadeIceGreen's Shrimp Tank

I am quite the fan of the nano aquarium. Modern filtration technology and water quality know-how has made these aquariums possible for a long term basis, and not simply just for a photo taking session.

Although the nano aquarium does require the aquarist to be more diligent with the monitoring of water quality as compared to a bigger aquarium, there are many other advantages to the nano such as reduced cost and the flexibility in placement.

For this nano aquarium, I customised an aquarium and here is my set up in pictures. Although we have not added any fauna into it as of yet, this aquarium is designed for shrimps. And for such a small aquarium, we can think of no better fauna to fill our nano with a happy, bustling colony.

Our nano aquarium holds a grand total of a whooping 6 litres and we have chosen to match it with Ecoxotic’s excellent, EcoPico LED Arm. This extremely sleek LED Arm is a perfect match for this small aquarium and we highly recommend it. It has always been the challenge of a nano aquascaper to find lighting units that compliment their nano aquariums.

Nice and sleek, EcoPico LED Arm

Aquarium Specifications:
Name | N30 Glass Aquarium
Dimensions | 28cm length x 17cm height x 13cm depth
Material | Glass
Thickness | 4mm
Capacity| 6 litres

Equipment:
Filter | Eheim Pickup 2006
Filtration Media | Eheim Filter Sponge
Lighting | Ecoxotic Aluminum LED Arm | 12,000K 9 watts LED | 8 hours

Aquascape:
Substrate | ADA Rio Negro Sand
Hardscape | ADA Old Black Wood SS | Black Lava Rock
Flora | Java Fern on Wood | US Fissiden on Lava Rock

Others:
Cycling Agent | Seachem Stability
Carbon Dioxide | Gaseous CO2 | 0.5 bubble per second
Nutrient | ADA Green Brightly Step 1 | 1ml Daily
Water Conditioner | Seachem Prime | 5 drops per water change
Fauna | 7 Sakura Shrimps
Feed | Mosura CRS Specialty Food |
Test Kits | Sera Ammonia | Sera Nitrite | Sera pH
Temperature | 24 – 28 degree Celsius

ADA Rio Negro Sand was our chosen substrate. As we will not be planting any flora, there is no need to have a thick substrate. In a nano aquarium, space is always a priority.

The Eheim Pickup 2006 was chosen as our filter, its small size is especially appreciated in our nano aquarium.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
JadeIceGreen

Java Fern which was attached to a piece of wood is then placed in front of the filter to effectively hide it from view. A small spray bottle is used to mist the leaves of the Java Fern so as to prevent them from drying out.

Two red lava rocks tied with US Fissiden are placed beside the Java Fern in a diagonal line so as to blend the Java Fern into the aquascape. Right behind these two rocks is a black lava rock with no flora attached. This black rock serves to accentuate the US Fissiden. At the other end of the aquarium, 3 black lava rocks of different shades and sizes anchor the aquascape there. A small piece of ADA Old Black Wood is then used to gel the entire aquascape together.

Two more pieces of ADA Old Black Wood are used to give the aquascape height, in relation to the aquarium. The Old Black Wood slopes down from left to right, following an invisible line that is created by the height of the Java Fern and filter, to the lava rocks. Another red lava rock with US Fissden was added to the right rock pile so as to accentuate the low lying Old Black Wood and add balance to the other rocks with US Fissiden on the left.

With this simple aquascape complete, water is carefully poured in and the aquarium is filled.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:22 PM   #3
JadeIceGreen

With the aquarium completely filled, the aquascape takes on a different perspective. Minor adjustments are made and the LED lights produce a most pleasing ripple within the aquascape, simulating natural sunlight.

A nano CO2 ceramic diffuser is added to the aquarium.

This angle of view clearly shows why we made an aquarium with a higher back wall. In an aquarium so small, it is necessary to reduce the strength of flow for the sake of the fauna. By directing the filter’s output into the back wall, the desired result is achieved in a beautiful manner.

A close up on the redirected flow with the surface agitation reminds us of a natural river. Because of the increased agitation which results in a faster gaseous exchange, more CO2 than usual needs to be pumped into the aquarium. In a bigger aquarium, this may be a concern because of the extra costs involved. But in our nano aquarium, it is actually a good buffer as few CO2 solenoids are that sensitive to dispense such a small amount of CO2.

After a day of rest, an additional piece of ADA Old Black Wood was added. Please feel free to comment or ask any questions. I would be delighted to answer them. I hoped you enjoyed this set up! This aquascape is dedicated to Jon-san.

Last edited by JadeIceGreen; 11-03-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:33 PM   #4
spottyfish

Very detailed

You make setting up nano tank sound so simple !!
Old 11-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #5
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

OMG, Isaac! Like I mentioned, time and time again, your posts and articles are always a pleasure to read! Wonderful pictures and great scape! Seriously, you need to take this onto a larger scale, such as with a 4x1.5x1.5... But, yea, I know, space is a constraint...
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:09 PM   #6
boxedfish
Dragon

thank you for sharing your detailed setting up process. Love the LED light design
boxedfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:37 PM   #7
JadeIceGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottyfish View Post
Very detailed

You make setting up nano tank sound so simple !!
It's not me, it's because a nano is really simple! Just do the necessary research and plan your steps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-san View Post
OMG, Isaac! Like I mentioned, time and time again, your posts and articles are always a pleasure to read! Wonderful pictures and great scape! Seriously, you need to take this onto a larger scale, such as with a 4x1.5x1.5... But, yea, I know, space is a constraint...
I hope to do this on a bigger scale too! Don't need a 4feet tank, but a 2feet will be good enough. I'm dreaming of a discus tank. Space is a constraint and I need finances to start pouring in, then we can start scaping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxedfish View Post
thank you for sharing your detailed setting up process. Love the LED light design
You are most welcomed. Yeah, the Ecoxotic LED light is fantastic for nano tanks.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:12 PM   #8
Chia Loon

Nice!!! agreed with the bros here, your article is always nice to read...
Old 12-03-2012, 02:23 AM   #9
Young Man
Senior Dragon

beautiful setup and a very detailed writeup on the process thanks for sharing!
Young Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:11 AM   #10
betta_zoid87
Senior Dragon

Very clear pictures and detailed guide. Very inspiring.
betta_zoid87 is offline   Reply With Quote