Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 27-04-2012, 03:22 AM   #11
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Hi, bro. Welcome back to the hobby. What's the name of the long, narrow-leaved purple plant? On the whole, quite a commendable effort. Personally, I wouldn't have gone for glosso if you are keeping without chiller. Personal preferences though. I find Staurogyne spreads really well once they are acclimatised. Water conditioners (anti-chlorine) should always be used for new water being added to tank, due to the presence of Chloramines. Maybe can consider a moss/riccia wall at the back glass panel. To accentuate your DW.
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #12
WaterChwee
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-san View Post
Hi, bro. Welcome back to the hobby. What's the name of the long, narrow-leaved purple plant? On the whole, quite a commendable effort. Personally, I wouldn't have gone for glosso if you are keeping without chiller. Personal preferences though. I find Staurogyne spreads really well once they are acclimatised. Water conditioners (anti-chlorine) should always be used for new water being added to tank, due to the presence of Chloramines. Maybe can consider a moss/riccia wall at the back glass panel. To accentuate your DW.
Hi Jon, the pinkish pointed plant was bought at c328 and I do not know what is the name which was attached into the dw. I dont know if it's ok to leave it like this or to pull out and plant into the soil but so far the plant still looks ok.

I have seen quite a few of hobbyist planting nice carpet of glosso as well as HG & HC without chiller but they do have strong light. As my tank is 2ft in depth I am thinking maybe it's quite hard to get the glosso creep. I have setup my tank for 1 week and I dont see any sign of new shoots coming up compare to other plants behind.

I will leave this for another 2 weeks otherwise I may try HG or ET next.
WaterChwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #13
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterChwee View Post
Hi Jon, the pinkish pointed plant was bought at c328 and I do not know what is the name which was attached into the dw. I dont know if it's ok to leave it like this or to pull out and plant into the soil but so far the plant still looks ok.
Was it rooted to the DW or glued there or tied on? I kind of suspect it might not be an aquatic plant, but more of a terrestrial plant. If you start to observe the plant leaves "melting", I would advise removing it entirely, else the leaves may rot away eventually and cause all sorts of problems in your water.
Old 30-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #14
WaterChwee
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-san View Post
Was it rooted to the DW or glued there or tied on? I kind of suspect it might not be an aquatic plant, but more of a terrestrial plant. If you start to observe the plant leaves "melting", I would advise removing it entirely, else the leaves may rot away eventually and cause all sorts of problems in your water.
The 2 stems are poked into the dw and can be taken out easily.

Btw, my tank is already 8 days now and I added 2 oto yesterday and I read that in order for a tank to be fully cycled, it will have a bb bloom which cause cloudiness. HOwever, my tank is still crystal clear as of the 1st day so does it mean that there is still a long way for the tank to be cycled. Am thinking of buying 2-3 hardy fishes tonight to fasten the cycling process.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:49 PM   #15
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterChwee View Post
The 2 stems are poked into the dw and can be taken out easily.
Not to dampen your enthusiasm, but in all likelihood, those 2 stems are unlikely to be true aquatic plants. I did fall into this very same trap when I started my planted setup. Have learnt over the months that some research is needed prior to buying, to avoid making this same mistake again. Those 2 plants are likely going to slowly melt away in the tank. True aquatic plants usually have root structures that will attach themselves over time onto the anchor points. Usually they come tied to the driftwoods, not inserted into holes drilled into the DW.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #16
peanut8787
Arofanatic

You should have some concept of what kinda layout you are looking for? Etc foreground, midground, background plants placement
peanut8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:32 PM   #17
WaterChwee
Arofanatic

Well my tank is already in the 3rd week of cycling and I suppose it's almost 80% ready for more livestocks. I have bought some more fishes over the past 2 weeks and also 10 pcs of sakura shrimps and all are doing well. However, there are some casulties on the fishes and I did the same way as with all the new fishes before releasing into the tank by leaving them in the water for more than 1/2 hr and then filling in bit by bit of tank water for them to accustom to the temperature. Those that cannot make it came from the same lfs whereas the others came from a farm at JK which seems to be much more hardy and the 2 otos survived till todate. This makes me wonder if to buy fishes in that particular lfs or is it that particular species are much more sensitive than the other fishes.

Another thing is that I have planted some japanese hairgrass 5 days ago and I can see some are streaming with tiny bubbles. Hope they will grow and spread runners soon.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:35 PM   #18
frenchbu
Arofanatic

Nice setup

Waiting for your update
frenchbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 09:12 PM   #19
Sharkfin

Bro, any updates on your tank?
Old 30-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #20
RUSS