Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 01-08-2011, 07:12 PM   #1
thxpro98

Default My Shrimp Home In Making!

i'm trying to set a PRL only tank, to me is a major project and i would like to make it a successful one. sorry for the lousy drawing as shown but i decided to set up my tank like this. divided 9 '' by 9 '' by 9 '' by 9 '' and leave out a 3'' place for K1 media. Is this idea viable? cos due to my stand, the tank must be made in an awkward height.

i'll be using undergravel filter connected to two canister filter, 1200 L/hr to chiller then back to the tank via 3.5 ft rain bar. the divider wont consist of any holes, and i have a black background with T5 lighting.

i have a couple of newbie questions.. and have to seek the shi fus here

firstly... the K1 medias... i have to use an air stone to circulate the K1, will that increase the O2 level by alot? increasing ph as well? i will not be pumping Co2 inside as i'll keep the set up simple and neat, keeping the PH around 5.5-6.5.

secondly .. the divider height.. what will be the recommend height? my soil will be 4 cm high, should the gap be 3 cm? since the ungravel filter will increase the height of the soil. if i silicon the divider first... how do i fit the plates?... or should i place the plates then silicon? please enlighten me..
Any shi fu can recommend me reliable brand of undergravel plates that can connect to canister filters

i will continue to update when i decom my tank. Any recommends and feedback, positive or negative will be accepted thanks in advance!!

Last edited by thxpro98; 01-08-2011 at 07:14 PM. Reason: changing picture size
Old 01-08-2011, 11:57 PM   #2
gryphon
Arofanatic

4cm of soil is a bit little, go for 6-8cm.
Other bros have posted problems with their soil expiring in less than a year using UGF, so keep in mind before using it
gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:31 PM   #3
goody992828

Bro

First of all, never connect your UGF to your cannister, it will degrade your soil very fast.
If you have to use UGF, just power it with air stone. By the way UGF comes in small panel which u can place it in even after you silicon your partition.
If you partion are without holes, you will have a hard time balancing the water in different compartments.
If your partion has no holes, than the 3" compartment for K1 media, how does water going to flow in there, if water is not cirulated to that area, than how does the K1 media helps in breaking up unwanted stuff. I would suggest you canister inlet to be place in that compartment, so that there are water circulations.

Just my two cents thought!
Old 03-08-2011, 06:46 PM   #4
thxpro98

thanks guys for the help!

i will get divider with a few holes. and i will not use UGF since my soil will degrade so fast. i use a DIY method to have the inlet on the left and right and combine into a single tube connected to my canisters.

Then should i add on a HOF on the K1 media side or use air stones?

where can i find those equipment connect two pipe into one? anyone use this before?