Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 30-07-2011, 03:20 PM   #21
jwkb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryfishhead View Post
From the Shifus here, will having a thicker soil make the soil last longer ?

Of course, we have to take into considerations (like frequency and amount of Water change, etc ) being constant.....I always thought so...
For my tank ADA soil is about 1 to 2 inch thick...good for the root plant which l have some...

Use ADA don"t use kh up it will melt the soil...
Old 30-07-2011, 10:30 PM   #22
maxtan

oh so apart from unable to maintain the pH after 2 years what other side effects will we have if the soil is not change?

I intend to have a 4 feet tank... would be a big overhaul if i have to change every 2 yrs the soil...
Old 30-07-2011, 11:19 PM   #23
kjk
Arofanatic

Default Soil

I will have soil and plants usually. For cherry shrimps, I used to breed just with sand before. Hope it help. Test the tank with one shrimp first before introducing more. Also, do not straight away introduce water plants u bought n introduce them into tank of shrimps. Some plants are coated with 'chemical' and may 'destroy' all ur shrimps...
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 11:56 PM   #24
jwkb

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtan View Post
oh so apart from unable to maintain the pH after 2 years what other side effects will we have if the soil is not change?

I intend to have a 4 feet tank... would be a big overhaul if i have to change every 2 yrs the soil...
The soil will become like cake very hard. Some shrimp known to stop or slow in breeding if soil not change..
According to shifu you can get black spot if soil very old
Yes it will cost you...not cheap..change soil be part or top it also can but come back to the same thing
Old 31-07-2011, 01:58 AM   #25
sianxz

Am planning to set up a cherry shrimp tank

I am planning to set up a tank with a thin layer of dennerle sand so their's something for shrimps to grab on.

Plants wise, intend to put in some DW tied with moss.

Do you guys think it will work ? I was told a 3 ft tank is too big for a shrimp tank...
Old 01-08-2011, 12:51 AM   #26
Eric9013

Bro, my suggestion is that soil is a must due till stress level, as strimp cannot rest or moneuover in comfort, hence it does not feel safe and may discolor

Adding plant would be even better to balance off the environment factor

Note, keeping bigger size fish in the same habitat will also cause stress and threat to shrimps
Old 01-08-2011, 01:17 PM   #27
jwkb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sianxz View Post
Am planning to set up a cherry shrimp tank

I am planning to set up a tank with a thin layer of dennerle sand so their's something for shrimps to grab on.

Plants wise, intend to put in some DW tied with moss.

Do you guys think it will work ? I was told a 3 ft tank is too big for a shrimp tank...
I never use dennerle so can't comment..

The big tank the better but it will be troublesome if you want to do selective breed later...need to plan. If you just only keeping cherry it ok..

Some people keep in one tank but find that the color no good start buying partition...that start of the problem