Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > General Freshwater Forum

Old 25-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #111
81civic
clone-Mickey

[QUOTE=Nidd;9539988 would u pay more for a "Chao Phraya pulcher" even if it has no ST tail?[/QUOTE]

If u can find mi a real ST with no defect like ICE etc, I will pay be it with or without ST tail.
81civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 04:51 PM   #112
st28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidd View Post
So what happens if the article I read abt Chao Phraya pulchers being extinct for the last 50 yrs turns out to be true and all the ST that was in the market 7 yrs ago are from the mekong instead? For a fish like ST where the look is very inconsistent, I think the matter of locality should be a smaller factor than say... the ST tail or the 3bar. I mean, would u pay more for a "Chao Phraya pulcher" even if it has no ST tail and is 4 bar than a "mekong pulcher" with perfect ST tail and 3 thick bar?
Good question, bro...
st28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #113
Luc
Senior Dragon

Quote:
So what happens if the article I read abt Chao Phraya pulchers being extinct for the last 50 yrs turns out to be true and all the ST that was in the market 7 yrs ago are from the mekong instead? For a fish like ST where the look is very inconsistent, I think the matter of locality should be a smaller factor than say... the ST tail or the 3bar. I mean, would u pay more for a "Chao Phraya pulcher" even if it has no ST tail and is 4 bar than a "mekong pulcher" with perfect ST tail and 3 thick bar?
Bro, we have to take into consideration of "human factor". Someone may hv(and I feel very likely), have mixed MT, ST, IT together for breeding and resulted in some "Pulcher" looking different from one and another. This is one theory with assumptions. In fish hobby, there seems to have a tendency to mix fishes of same type together. Who knows the XBs we see today are the "creations" of early pioneers who simply dump RTG, Green and true XB into a single pond?

As for 50 years, cannot comment, as I wasn't even born and I doubt anybody is able to clearly related to whether or not the fish that went extinct is indeed a Datnioide Pulcher(that we see today)

Of cuz I wouldn't pay more for a 4-bars Chao Phraya ST at that staggering amount. Without ST will be a discount, unless fish is huge and have superb looking bars to make up for it.

Locality impt or not, we cannot comment. I look at the 2 fishes(for eg):
a) PDR vs BD rays
b) RTG, XB, Green and Reds
c) Keberi Bahia, Araguaia

They are distinctively diff fishes to many, not just me.
Luc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 05:37 PM   #114
Nidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81civic View Post
If u can find mi a real ST with no defect like ICE etc, I will pay be it with or without ST tail.
Here by lies the biggest problem and the reason for this thread, I dun think there is anyway to prove anything beyond doubt. For all u know u might be paying more for a "mekong ST" at the end of the day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc View Post
Bro, we have to take into consideration of "human factor". Someone may hv(and I feel very likely), have mixed MT, ST, IT together for breeding and resulted in some "Pulcher" looking different from one and another. This is one theory with assumptions. In fish hobby, there seems to have a tendency to mix fishes of same type together. Who knows the XBs we see today are the "creations" of early pioneers who simply dump RTG, Green and true XB into a single pond?If I am not wrong, ST has nv been bred in captive, I had a discussion with some friends why is this the case, one of the possibilities that we felt most likely was that ST need to migrate to different waters to spawn. Or like bumberbee horn snails, need blackish water. It's all just hobbyists talking bird, but it is theory. But if they have nv been bred in captivity, 4 bars and non ST tails are a natural thing. I highly doubt it is through mixed breeding. If that was possible, the market would be flooded right now. No one has self control anymore, look at how the aro and pb market crash like nobody's business in just 2 years.

As for 50 years, cannot comment, as I wasn't even born and I doubt anybody is able to clearly related to whether or not the fish that went extinct is indeed a Datnioide Pulcher(that we see today)My first thought when I read that article, was that every ST in the hobby right now are not STs. But I came to same conclusion it can nv be proven at this point.

Of cuz I wouldn't pay more for a 4-bars Chao Phraya ST at that staggering amount. Without ST will be a discount, unless fish is huge and have superb looking bars to make up for it.

Locality impt or not, we cannot comment. I look at the 2 fishes(for eg):
a) PDR vs BD rays
b) RTG, XB, Green and Reds
c) Keberi Bahia, Araguaia

They are distinctively diff fishes to many, not just me.

I would say locality affects value but on different levels for different fish. My point is, when it comes to ST, VT, CT, I personally feel It is a bit out of proportion at the moment. The differences between an ST, VT and CT are not even clear.
At the end of the day, I would just like to say, ST, VT, CT it doesn't matter once we bleed the rivers dry. Together with the dams china are building, likely all will be gone in our lifetime.
Old 25-10-2013, 05:48 PM   #115
azon
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunwcl View Post
Bro, you didn't ask if Mekong Tigers are not Pulchers then what are they? Don't tell me Microlepis, many will heart attack!
I should have deleted that part of the conversation to save the trouble..
azon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 05:53 PM   #116
Luc
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Here by lies the biggest problem and the reason for this thread, I dun think there is anyway to prove anything beyond doubt. For all u know u might be paying more for a "mekong ST" at the end of the day.

At the end of the day, I would just like to say, ST, VT, CT it doesn't matter once we bleed the rivers dry. Together with the dams china are building, likely all will be gone in our lifetime.
There is a group that says there is a distinct diff between CT(or MT) and ST
Another group, say they are same leh. So it's a deadlock

What is seen by one group may not be seen by another, and vice versa.
We cannot force a view that another group don't agree, but at least I expressed my point of view of the 2 fishes(from that region)
Old 25-10-2013, 05:54 PM   #117
Luc
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by azon View Post
I should have deleted that part of the conversation to save the trouble..
No trouble la.....discussion oni ma
Old 25-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #118
azon
Senior Dragon

Now I also a bit songzz with ST.. maybe should look for one too..
azon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #119
Luc
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by azon View Post
Now I also a bit songzz with ST.. maybe should look for one too..
Lai lai lai.......
You should hv plenty of lobangs
Old 25-10-2013, 06:10 PM   #120
shaunwcl
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc View Post
Lai lai lai.......
You should hv plenty of lobangs
Good lobangs must share here hor...
shaunwcl is offline   Reply With Quote