Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences > African cichlids

Old 24-09-2006, 08:24 PM   #1
TaNgS_RuLe
Dragon

Default Yellow calvus Spawned

Just some good news to share.
Mid July i bought 3 WC adult yellow calvus. think it was CF's previous shipment. Bought what seemed like one male and two females. they are housed in a 3 feet tank. Both smaller fish exhibited spawning behaviour about 3 weeks ago(female always in shell and fanning of fins) around one week ago, i saw some fry.
sorry could not get any pics of the male.... he is always hidding in a pvc pipe, but as long as he does his job i dun really care.
all the pics are found in my gallery.i know that the fry shots are quite bad, but
Enjoy!

P.S For the tropheus people out there, i just updated my tropheus gallery pics under golden kazumba colony
TaNgS_RuLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2006, 11:48 PM   #2
ostrava

Nice looking tropheus. Can share some tips on how u induce them to breed? are those cyp in ur troph tank i sold to u last time?
Old 25-09-2006, 12:07 AM   #3
TaNgS_RuLe
Dragon

yup those are the cyps from you. but i lost one, they seem to do quite well with the tropheus, but im thinking of removing them soon.
i really do not do anything special for my tropheus, infact i have a 3 feet tank of mixed tropheus and some are cross breeding. tropheus are not hard to spawn.
Old 25-09-2006, 12:17 AM   #4
ostrava

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaNgS_RuLe View Post
yup those are the cyps from you. but i lost one, they seem to do quite well with the tropheus, but im thinking of removing them soon.
i really do not do anything special for my tropheus, infact i have a 3 feet tank of mixed tropheus and some are cross breeding. tropheus are not hard to spawn.
I'm trying to breed tropheus again. Breed dubosis last time before. Juz get 5 pcs of f0 mpulungu, house them in a 4 ft tank. Hope they can spawn... Anyway can share what is ur water changing regime? How many times per week? % of change??

My cyp are in gd hands, they grow pretty fast under ur care.
Old 25-09-2006, 12:31 AM   #5
TaNgS_RuLe
Dragon

though i started my colony from 5, i have to admit its not a very good choice. 5 in a 4 feet by themselves will quite surely lead to disaster. they will pick each other off one by one. you need to keep them with other tropheus to help reduce aggression whilst making sure the varient u want to breed is the type of the dominant male. because the dominant varient will most likely hamper the breeding of the other tropheus. since u just got ur colony i suggest u observe them closely and prepare to pull fish out before they are too badly attacked. i change about 40-50% of the water once weekly.

yea i had no idea cyps grow so fast. however im a little concerned because all of them appear to have blue and yellow colouration and their dorsal and anal fins respectively.
Old 25-09-2006, 12:51 AM   #6
ostrava

Quote:
though i started my colony from 5, i have to admit its not a very good choice. 5 in a 4 feet by themselves will quite surely lead to disaster. they will pick each other off one by one. you need to keep them with other tropheus to help reduce aggression whilst making sure the varient u want to breed is the type of the dominant male. because the dominant varient will most likely hamper the breeding of the other tropheus. since u just got ur colony i suggest u observe them closely and prepare to pull fish out before they are too badly attacked. i change about 40-50% of the water once weekly.

yea i had no idea cyps grow so fast. however im a little concerned because all of them appear to have blue and yellow colouration and their dorsal and anal fins respectively.
I see... Juz to share with u the detail of my 4 ft, beside the 5 mpulungu, i have 11 juv moliro. 4 xenotilapia orange line, 1 gold head comp, 5 brevis. For the time being, the mpulungu seems peaceful, all shaoling together and one of the male keep flaring and shaking in front of another mpulungu. Dunno is it flirting or sign of aggression. If possible will like jason to bring in more for next shipment

Anyway how big is the cyp already?
Old 25-09-2006, 01:01 AM   #7
seagul
Arofanatic

wow!! guess you are the only one so far that i know that is able to spawn calvus
seagul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2006, 01:02 AM   #8
TaNgS_RuLe
Dragon

hmmm the bigger cyps are nearing 2 inches??

wow that quite a mix.... tropheus usually do better with fewer types of fish in the tank.... at this point ill say it's most likely trying to exert its authority to the lesser tropheus in establishing the hierachy. it would definately be good to get more tropheus.
aggression is ok as long as no single individual starts to get singled out.
Old 25-09-2006, 01:57 AM   #9
ostrava

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagul View Post
wow!! guess you are the only one so far that i know that is able to spawn calvus
Yeah man... Bro tangsrule gd at breeding difficult species of tangan. Hope one day he can try to breed moba front.

Last edited by ostrava; 25-09-2006 at 02:07 AM.
Old 25-09-2006, 01:58 AM   #10
ostrava

Quote:
hmmm the bigger cyps are nearing 2 inches??

wow that quite a mix.... tropheus usually do better with fewer types of fish in the tank.... at this point ill say it's most likely trying to exert its authority to the lesser tropheus in establishing the hierachy. it would definately be good to get more tropheus.
aggression is ok as long as no single individual starts to get singled out.
Yeah, if i able to get more mpulungu from cf next shipment, i'll clear my present 11 pcs of moliro, i prefer a single variant setup.

Last edited by ostrava; 25-09-2006 at 02:07 AM.