Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox

Old 08-01-2018, 04:46 AM   #31
NI KI
Arofanatic

Default Liverpool considering transfer options after Philippe Coutinho sale

With Jurgen Klopp and his first team squad in Dubai for a mid-season warm weather training camp, Liverpool are using the next few days to consider how strongly to pursue their options in the transfer market as they look to replace Philippe Coutinho.

Following the 2-1 victory over neighbours Everton in the FA Cup third round, the Reds had eight blank days before they host leaders Manchester City in the Premier League and have used the break in the calendar to take advantage of some sunshine sessions at top-class facilities.

As Klopp showed with his pursuit of Virgil van Dijk, who agreed to join for a world record £75million fee for a defender on the eve of the window reopening, and Naby Keita, who will arrive from RB Leipzig ahead of next season, he is prepared to wait for his number one targets rather than have to turn to alternatives.

Thomas Lemar is believed to be at the top of Liverpool’s list of potential Coutinho replacements but with his club Monaco making it clear that they had no intention of selling the France international midway through the current campaign, the 22-year-old could become a recruit they chase in the summer.

The likes of Benjamin Mendy and Bernardo Silva (£52million and £43million to Manchester City); Tiemoue Bakayoko (£40million to Chelsea) and Kylian Mbappe (on loan to Paris St Germain with an agreed sale at the end of the season) all departed the club last summer but Monaco coach Leonardo Jardim insisted on Friday that there would be no sales this month.

He said: “Monaco are not in the habit of making big sales in the winter. It’s our strategy.

“The players understand and they know how it goes here.”

Meanwhile, Liverpool are not on the verge of signing Leicester City’s Riyad Mahrez.

Reports in both France and the Algerian international’s native North Africa suggested that the 2015/16 PFA Players’ Player of the Year were closing in on a move to the Reds for a £50million fee but the ECHO understands no approach has been made.
NI KI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:56 AM   #32
NI KI
Arofanatic

Why Barca signed Coutinho

I mean, it’s obvious, isn’t it?

It’s because he’s good. Really good.

But if you’re after a little more substance than that, here’s Sky Sports’ Spanish expert Guillem Balague to reveal all.

Take it away...

Iniesta is getting old. It has been suggested that this is his last season at Barcelona with huge offers on the table from China.

Barcelona need that type of quality in midfield. Coutinho is not Iniesta yet, in fact they seem him as more of a forward at the moment, but he can develop the skills needed.

At the beginning Coutinho won’t have many defensive obligations without the ball but he’ll have to learn those because they see him, in the medium term, as a midfielder.

They think that for him to do so, he will have to understand the positional game of Barcelona, to do a bigger shift without the ball.

At the moment what they need straight away is a replacement for Neymar, which they did not get (in the summer).
Old 08-01-2018, 11:27 PM   #33
NI KI
Arofanatic

Default Salah wins PFA Player of the Month

Mohamed Salah has been named PFA Player of the Month for December.

Liverpool's No.11, who also scooped the prize in November, earned 50 per cent of the public vote in the poll.

Salah scored six goals and provided four assists during his eight appearances last month, helping the Reds claim five wins and three draws from those fixtures.

The Egypt international was last week crowned CAF African Player of the Year in recognition of his superb form throughout 2017.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:43 PM   #34
NI KI
Arofanatic

Liverpool cut short Ryan Kent's Freiburg spell - and will look to loan to a Championship club in January

Ryan Kent is back at Liverpool after his loan spell at Freiburg was cut short.

The young winger was due to spend the season on loan in Germany having signed for the Bundesliga club in August.

But with first-team opportunities proving hard to come by, both clubs have taken the decision to terminate the deal. Kent made just one start for Freiburg, and just six appearances in total.

He returned to Merseyside for Christmas, and has been re-registered as a Liverpool player since. He was in line to feature for the Reds' U23 side on Sunday, only for their Premier League 2 clash with Arsenal to be called off due to a frozen pitch.

Now, Liverpool will look to find the 21-year-old a new loan deal, most likely to a Championship club.

Kent shone at that level for Barnsley last season, making 47 appearances and winning the Tykes' young player of the year award. He has also enjoyed a productive spell with Coventry City in the past and Liverpool are keen to send him somewhere he can play first-team football.

They have already allowed Corey Whelan, captain of the U23s, to join League Two Yeovil Town until the end of the season, and have decisions to make over Cameron Brannagan, Ovie Ejaria and Ben Woodburn, all of whom have attracted interest from Football League clubs.

Kent, too, has no shortage of offers, and Liverpool will assess as the month goes on. The youngster is keen to get regular football having seen his move to Germany end in disappointment.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:49 PM   #35
NI KI
Arofanatic

Default Divock Origi open to leaving Liverpool as he eyes centre forward spot at Wolfsburg

Divock Origi says he is open to the idea of a permanent move away from Liverpool.

The striker is currently on a season-long loan at Wolfsburg, where he has scored four goals in 15 appearances.

The Bundesliga outfit are interested in signing the Belgian international permanently, although Liverpool are likely to demand a sizeable fee for the 22-year-old.

Origi has made 77 appearances for the Reds, scoring 21 times, but speaking to reporters in Germany he admitted his future is far from certain.
"I think everything's possible,” he said. “I focus on the here and now.

“I have a good relationship with Liverpool, but feel really well here at Wolfsburg. We'll sit down at the end of the season, and talk we'll see what's next.

“Right now, I am here for another six months, and I am open for everything."

Origi is in the last 18 months of his Liverpool contract, so is likely to exit the club at the end of the season.

In the short-term, his aim is to establish himself as a regular starter as centre forward for Wolfsburg, who currently sit 12th in the Bundesliga table.

"I have always said that I prefer playing as a No. 9," Origi added. "I am just more productive in the centre of attack."
Old 08-01-2018, 11:53 PM   #36
NI KI
Arofanatic

Default Philippe Coutinho dealt Barcelona injury blow after £142m Liverpool move

Philippe Coutinho will be made to wait after Barcelona confirmed he would be out for up to three weeks due to injury.

The Brazilian has completed his £142m switch to Camp Nou after the Catalans agreed a club-record deal with the Reds over the weekend. He will be officially presented to supporters on Monday afternoon.

It brings to an end a lengthy pursuit, with Coutinho stating his excitement at moving to the La Liga leaders.

In an interview with the Daily Mail, the 25-year-old also insisted he had given “100 per cent, 100 per cent of the time” while at Liverpool.

His last appearance for the Reds was on December 30 against Leicester; he missed the last two games with a sore thigh.

To many fans that injury was considered convenient, coinciding with the opening of the transfer window. Coutinho had been widely expected to make his Barca bow on Thursday against Celta Vigo in the Copa del Rey.

But Barcelona have now confirmed that their new signing will be missing for around 20 days due to a problem with his right thigh.

If his return is to schedule, then he could make his debut against his former club, Espanyol, on February 4.

They uploaded a picture of the former Inter man completing his medical with the club. Coutinho will hold a media conference at Camp Nou at 1.30pm UK time on Monday.
Old 09-01-2018, 12:08 AM   #37
NI KI
Arofanatic

Suarez Buys Coutinho House?

The Brazilian said of Suarez’s gesture:

He saw that a house next to his became available. He didn’t know I was coming for certain but he liked the idea. It’s a kind gesture.

We’ve seen the pictures, the views look amazing. We are in touch all the time and I look forward to seeing the property with my family. I know Luis will help us to feel at home.

I love the fact he calls it “a kind gesture” like he’d popped round the shops when he was ill and got him bread and milk.

I wonder what Phillipe will give him in return?
A lot of assists, I’d assume.
Old 09-01-2018, 12:11 AM   #38
NI KI
Arofanatic

Leipzig to Resist

Neil Jones has confirmed that RB Leipzig will do everything in their power to ensure Naby Keita doesn’t make an early switch to Anfield this month.

There are rumours that the club would be willing to pay extra- on top of the £55 million already splurged on the Guinean midfielder- to make the switch this month but Neil believes the deal looks to be a non-starter.
Naby Keita

See you in the summer then, Naby!
Old 09-01-2018, 12:20 AM   #39
NI KI
Arofanatic

Spot-On Steven

The Liverpool legend’s assessment of Coutinho seems to have came remarkably close to the events which transpired over the past week.

Excerpt from Gerrard's book on Coutinho.

Old 09-01-2018, 12:34 AM   #40
NI KI
Arofanatic

No Contact for Alisson

Liverpool fan-site LFC Transfer Room report that the agent of Brazilian goalkeeper Alisson has confirmed there has been no approach by the club for his client.

“At this moment, I have not been contacted by anyone,” the excitingly named Ze Maria said. “There are three-and-a-half-years left until his contract [expires]. We are not in a hurry. Alisson is very happy at Roma.”

Alisson is currently keeping out Manchester City’s Ederson from the Brazilian national team, and with many expecting Jurgen Klopp to make a goalkeeper his priority in the coming transfer windows, the Roma stopper is likely to be high on his priorities alongside Jan Oblak and Jack Butland.