Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 06-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
Dreams

Default Setting up my 3ft marine tank.

Can someone give me some advise on what i need to set up my tank? I'm new to marine aquarium. I've recently bought a 3ft tank x1.25 . It has 2 T8 blue light and 1 white one.
It comes with a Top filter too. There's no sump or what so ever.

Should i get anything next? Like a skimmer or canister filter ?

This tank is mainly for lps corals and some marine fishes like clown fish.

Thanks in advance !
Old 07-08-2013, 01:12 AM   #2
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

i saw your tank over at another forum and i suggest you ditch it for a more "proper' tank.. what i meant by proper :

1) you tank height + only 3 tubes of t8 lighting, you're gonna have a hard time growing corals. Even Zoas and LPS. your tank height appears to be 1.5ft and higher. At least 4 T5HO tubes fixture should be used.

2) Top filter. This is a no no for marine. mainly because of salt spray, lack of space for other equipments and it traps detritus. Go for a sump tank would be the best. If not at least a IOS filter at the side. But long term no matter you'll still end up with a sump tank.

3) Skimmer. This is literally the heart of the tank. Get the best you can afford. If you insist on using ur current tank. Take off your hood. and buy a Deltec MCE 600( same as what im using). Gives me thick black gooey skimmate.

4) Your tank's not built for marine. Your cabinet definitely looks way too weak to hold whole tank full of rocks and salt water. I too used a freshwater tank cabinet but mine is a full length cabinet + my new tank is 1/2 the height of my old freshwater tank.

I would strongly suggest you look for a 3x1.5x1.5 tank + sump to start instead of the one you have now. i know it sucks to hear this but you'll definitely do much better with the tank size i mentioned.

Hope this helps.
EvolutionZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:16 AM   #3
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

These are some items you definitely need for a Coral tank :

1) Wavemakers (Jebao wp25 for a 3ft tank.)
2) Chiller (1/5hp at least)
3) Reactors (check out TLF 150, use it to run rowaphos to reduce phosphate)
4) Test kits. (get the Salifert Range. if you are only keeping LPS and softies, get the basic few will do)
5) Refractometer (those $10 hydrometer give crappy salinity reading.)

Why i think chiller is a must mainly due to salinity fluctuation when water evaporates.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:59 AM   #4
Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionZ View Post
i saw your tank over at another forum and i suggest you ditch it for a more "proper' tank.. what i meant by proper :

1) you tank height + only 3 tubes of t8 lighting, you're gonna have a hard time growing corals. Even Zoas and LPS. your tank height appears to be 1.5ft and higher. At least 4 T5HO tubes fixture should be used.

2) Top filter. This is a no no for marine. mainly because of salt spray, lack of space for other equipments and it traps detritus. Go for a sump tank would be the best. If not at least a IOS filter at the side. But long term no matter you'll still end up with a sump tank.

3) Skimmer. This is literally the heart of the tank. Get the best you can afford. If you insist on using ur current tank. Take off your hood. and buy a Deltec MCE 600( same as what im using). Gives me thick black gooey skimmate.

4) Your tank's not built for marine. Your cabinet definitely looks way too weak to hold whole tank full of rocks and salt water. I too used a freshwater tank cabinet but mine is a full length cabinet + my new tank is 1/2 the height of my old freshwater tank.

I would strongly suggest you look for a 3x1.5x1.5 tank + sump to start instead of the one you have now. i know it sucks to hear this but you'll definitely do much better with the tank size i mentioned.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the information given, very much appreciated. but i don't think i'll have enough budget to get a new tank.. . Maybe i just use 1 inches of sand and 2 live rocks or so would it be able to support the weight? If the top filter isn't gonna work for marine tank, should i get a canister filter to replace it? I'm planning to buy a Hang on skimmer to hang at the back too. My hood only can hold 3 lighting, so if i change them to T5 lights, must all 3 be blue ? or 2 blue 1 white? I've seen some ppl do well without a sump on other forums, if i just get a powerful skimmer will it work better?
Old 07-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #5
KaLiB

I agree with EvolutionZ. You shouldn't use that tank for marine. Its better to bite the bullet and do it right from the start rather than start off with an unsuitable setup. You would have a lot less headache and be able to enjoy the hobby a lot more.

I'm afraid using less sand and liverocks isn't going to help as saltwater is heavier than freshwater. The extra pressure exerted by saltwater on the tank walls might cause the walls to warp. I've observed this in my old 2x1x1 tank where the wall running along the length of the tank is bent outwards due to the pressure. There is a danger of the tank leaking or giving way over time. I'm also not sure if the cabinet can take the extra weight from the saltwater tank.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #6
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreams View Post
Thanks for the information given, very much appreciated. but i don't think i'll have enough budget to get a new tank.. . Maybe i just use 1 inches of sand and 2 live rocks or so would it be able to support the weight? If the top filter isn't gonna work for marine tank, should i get a canister filter to replace it? I'm planning to buy a Hang on skimmer to hang at the back too. My hood only can hold 3 lighting, so if i change them to T5 lights, must all 3 be blue ? or 2 blue 1 white? I've seen some ppl do well without a sump on other forums, if i just get a powerful skimmer will it work better?

Like what Kalib said, lesser sand and rocks will not be much difference. And lesser rocks also mean lesser biological filtration which is also bad. Canister filter collects mulm and detritus which becomes a nitrate factory if you fail to clean at least once a month. Preferably once every 2 weeks.

You can use a Hang on skimmer i suggest you get the deltec MCE 600.

As for your lighting. If it can fit T5 tubes than change to T5. Get ATI brand and not any others. 2 blue 1 white sounds alright. But you will need to stack the rock higher and place your corals there.

Without sump is definitely very doable but you will have very limited equipments.

My 4ft tank have a tiny 50x35x45cm sump which i use to house my return pump, filter sock, chiller pump, TLF 150 reactor, LRs and Skimmer in my sump. Even though its small but its pratically the heart of my tank. I use a overflow box to pump to the sump.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #7
Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionZ View Post
Like what Kalib said, lesser sand and rocks will not be much difference. And lesser rocks also mean lesser biological filtration which is also bad. Canister filter collects mulm and detritus which becomes a nitrate factory if you fail to clean at least once a month. Preferably once every 2 weeks.

You can use a Hang on skimmer i suggest you get the deltec MCE 600.

As for your lighting. If it can fit T5 tubes than change to T5. Get ATI brand and not any others. 2 blue 1 white sounds alright. But you will need to stack the rock higher and place your corals there.

Without sump is definitely very doable but you will have very limited equipments.

My 4ft tank have a tiny 50x35x45cm sump which i use to house my return pump, filter sock, chiller pump, TLF 150 reactor, LRs and Skimmer in my sump. Even though its small but its pratically the heart of my tank. I use a overflow box to pump to the sump.
I've just called my supplier and they told me that the cabinet and tank will be able to withstand the weight for marine tanks they told me just dont let the cabinet touch water or else it will start to rot. So what I have to get to started now is get the sand,salt,live rocks, test kits and a deltec hang over skimmer right? Is canister filter a must get ? to replace my top filter. if so any brand or model recommendation?
Old 07-08-2013, 03:22 PM   #8
domvonn
Senior Dragon

Quote:
I've just called my supplier and they told me that the cabinet and tank will be able to withstand the weight for marine tanks they told me just dont let the cabinet touch water or else it will start to rot. So what I have to get to started now is get the sand,salt,live rocks, test kits and a deltec hang over skimmer right? Is canister filter a must get ? to replace my top filter. if so any brand or model recommendation?
bro...have the tank arrive?
can take some pics show us?

if the cab cannot touch water as it will start to rot...i am worried for you and your family safety.

how thick is ur tank ? 10mm ,8mm?

Last edited by domvonn; 07-08-2013 at 03:24 PM.
domvonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #9
Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by domvonn View Post
bro...have the tank arrive?
can take some pics show us?

if the cab cannot touch water as it will start to rot...i am worried for you and your family safety.

how thick is ur tank ? 10mm ,8mm?
Supplier said all woods are like that so if touched until water must wipe it off asap. Here's a link to see my tank pics, as i do not know how to upload them here.
http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/topi...rine-aquarium/
Old 07-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #10
domvonn
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Supplier said all woods are like that so if touched until water must wipe it off asap. Here's a link to see my tank pics, as i do not know how to upload them here.
http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/topi...rine-aquarium/
Bro , the tank setup is not exactly ideal for marine .the cab does not look strong enough, it may last for a while before the wood warp and give way .
You can remove the cover and measure the glass thickness .
domvonn is offline   Reply With Quote