Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 16-08-2005, 01:20 PM   #41
jwhtan
Barney

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudyrain
should consult mr pressure on this topic....
yeah ... if he comes in and he sees this, hopefully he can tell us

i was hoping Vetduck can tell us something abt this too .... but this kind of boring topics not much participation only those post one aro, then will have plenty of replies " nice aro "
Old 16-08-2005, 01:42 PM   #42
disturbed
Dragon

A true axanthic as i said before lacks the yellow pigment entirely. However, a lessened amount of the yellow pigment is also considered an axanthic trait.

So its a possibility that the pure paper white/silver grey axanthic aro with black eyes does exist but in extremely limited numbers. The ones shown so far are examples of aros with axanthic traits as its not a complete lack of yellow pigment but a greatly lessened amount of it.

compare the 2 axanthic balls below:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg axanthic02.jpg (36.5 KB, 686 views)
File Type: jpg wskaxanticksm924a.jpg (38.2 KB, 677 views)
Old 16-08-2005, 01:44 PM   #43
menthol28
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhtan
yeah ... if he comes in and he sees this, hopefully he can tell us

i was hoping Vetduck can tell us something abt this too .... but this kind of boring topics not much participation only those post one aro, then will have plenty of replies " nice aro "
hahaha....very straight forward of you
actually the rumour is that there`s only one brooding pair for the panda Axantic aro and its only a pair of rtgs that are producing this special breed.
Old 16-08-2005, 01:52 PM   #44
jwhtan
Barney

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbed
A true axanthic as i said before lacks the yellow pigment entirely. However, a lessened amount of the yellow pigment is also considered an axanthic trait.

So its a possibility that the pure paper white/silver grey axanthic aro with black eyes does exist but in extremely limited numbers. The ones shown so far are examples of aros with axanthic traits as its not a complete lack of yellow pigment but a greatly lessened amount of it.

compare the 2 axanthic balls below:
wat's these .... ???? snakes ???

axanthic traits ... i'm just so slow i still cannot grasp wat is the meaning of this term .... so axanthic means lack of yellow pigments .... the aros shown so far look to me as being very yellow rather than having a lack of yellow pigments actually .... so much so that Fire87 offers a view that they are actually xanthic rather than " axanthic "

wouldn't aros tat are lacking in yellow pigments then exhibit other colouration like in ur snakes that shows brown etc ? or at least the greenish horseshoe core will be manifested ?
Old 16-08-2005, 02:03 PM   #45
disturbed
Dragon

Quote:

axanthic traits ... i'm just so slow i still cannot grasp wat is the meaning of this term .... so axanthic means lack of yellow pigments .... the aros shown so far look to me as being very yellow rather than having a lack of yellow pigments actually .... so much so that Fire87 offers a view that they are actually xanthic rather than " axanthic "

wouldn't aros tat are lacking in yellow pigments then exhibit other colouration like in ur snakes that shows brown etc ? or at least the greenish horseshoe core will be manifested ?
well... since panda states them as Axanthic they have to be genetically wise if not its considered as false marketing.

yup, these are snakes, best examples of axanthics i can think of. Both snakes here are axanthics. However the natural color is brown and black. The first pce is a perfect example of how a pure axanthic looks like with the lack of yellow pigment.
The second pce is an axanthic too. However it still retains some yellow pigment hence the brownish look.

The second pce i beleive is of the same genetics as the Panda Axanthic as in that the geno is there but its not perfect. So hence u still see the slight yellow scales and finnage color.
Old 16-08-2005, 04:10 PM   #46
Fire87
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbed
well... since panda states them as Axanthic they have to be genetically wise if not its considered as false marketing.
i do not know what's stated in the cert, but then, I don't really think what's typed in the cert should be held legally responsible. Just like platinums... cert say platinum, but if the aro grows up to be a normal golden, how?

I'd think most people would be buying them for what they are, whether Axanthic or Xanthic.

Just 2 cents
Old 16-08-2005, 04:12 PM   #47
Fire87
Dragon

Quote:

the greenish horseshoe is manifested in the semi-adult specimens. i'd like to think the greenish horseshoe in all asian aros can be displayed if the level of iridophores are low, but I could be wrong.
Old 16-08-2005, 04:29 PM   #48
kagemaru

Quote:
I'm curious what are these axanthic brooders ... actually I'm curious what exactly is axanthic .... are they albinos really as in lacking in pigmentation or are they xanthic as in having dominant yellow pigments ....
I would choose to believe its a natural occurrence during the process of finetunning a certain breed...or experimenting with new combinations

Probably a brood is born and wat Panda was trying to do was duplicate the happenings using these offsprings as brooders...so it will also mean long term wait for them to mature...My guess is they are from the gold series with Nami Green probably (guessing nia...I dun know the formula)

If Panda have constant supply of these axantic we would see them available but to date can count how many pcs they release into the public or they belong to one of the proxies farming plot

Old 16-08-2005, 06:39 PM   #49
fong
Dragon

Their so called platiniums are not really platiniums. They regards young fishes with high shine and crossing as platinium grade and of course placing them in WFT before selling you. However, the quality of the cross backs under platinium are above average quality. They define platinium differently and of course the public expectations are different. So we dont get what we want to buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagemaru
Perhaps just like platiniums...do they breed by chance or are they delibrately breeded by certain farms?

there is only one malaysia farm which specifically breed platinium if I am not wrong, but how high are the chances?

Panda may have the Axantic Brooders but does 1 + 1 always equal to 2?

tats probably why we dun see them so frequently
Old 16-08-2005, 06:42 PM   #50
fong
Dragon

there is one particular male that carry this genes, about 30% of his offsprings are ax. No experimentation or fine tunning is involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagemaru
I would choose to believe its a natural occurrence during the process of finetunning a certain breed...or experimenting with new combinations

Probably a brood is born and wat Panda was trying to do was duplicate the happenings using these offsprings as brooders...so it will also mean long term wait for them to mature...My guess is they are from the gold series with Nami Green probably (guessing nia...I dun know the formula)

If Panda have constant supply of these axantic we would see them available but to date can count how many pcs they release into the public or they belong to one of the proxies farming plot