Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 16-08-2004, 02:00 AM   #11
vic
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLB
I heard from a LFS that if you shine white light on a xback for a period of time, It will eventually turn white, giving the false impression that it has crossed. In other words, to have a 6-7 inches xback crossing is not possible. The LFS claimed that in such suituation, the white color will eventually go off. But I believe DFI does have a some golden head xback, showing good crossing around 6-7 inches, selling for 3k?

I think what NLB meant was putting the young XB in a white/bright environment i.e. white fibre tank. The environment appear to make the XB "cross faster".

I agreed with what he said.

Its not "true crossing" but only the development of the base colour...by that I meant the development of the based color over the many rows (including 6th row) of the fish caused by the whitish background when the fish tried to blend into its environment. Its the same theory for black backgd for red.

"True crossing" is the crossing of the gold rim and not based colour. As the fish is still very young the golden rim at the edge of the scale will only develop at later stage. The crossing of the "base colour" will fade off when the fish is placed in "normal environment" i.e. our tank. Thats why these XB/RTG looks whitish when juz intro into tanks....

One thing good about this method is that at least u know u are getting a real XB....for an RTG will NEVER cross even with that environment....it only shows the true potiential of the RTG i.e how high can the level go.

For me the most important factors in choosing a XB are the shine, gold tone and body shape...all other things are not important.

Certain things need time....we cant really expect a 1-2 yrs old child to grow pubic hair rite?

Hope this helps
Old 16-08-2004, 07:04 PM   #12
fong
Dragon

For me, an aros with golden head is an attribute. Hard to find one like this one in the pic. The sixth level crossing maybe white tank enhanced but the the golden head is not.

regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aro_RTG89
U mean something like this one?
Old 16-08-2004, 07:13 PM   #13
widjajas
Dragon

i just dunno why xback with a tiny whiny of gold head can cause so much more.
(it's not as if the whole top part is gold rite? only some area)

For me, it doesn't worth the $$$.

but i guess diff ppl got diff opinion. to each his own.
Old 17-08-2004, 01:26 PM   #14
vic
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fong
For me, an aros with golden head is an attribute. Hard to find one like this one in the pic. The sixth level crossing maybe white tank enhanced but the the golden head is not.

regards
Mr Fong,

I beg to disagree ....I have seen the golden line disappear before leh..I think this golden line on the head are like 6th level crossing...takes time. It also depend on gene.

But shine, body shape and gold tone are genetically there...cant change them thu u can dull them with poor water.

I spoke as someone who has seen many different farms' XB... i believe golden head are not that rare
Old 17-08-2004, 02:11 PM   #15
jack lee
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic
Mr Fong,

I beg to disagree leh AGAIN ....I have seen the golden line disappear before leh..I think this golden line on the head are like 6th level crossing...takes time. It also depend on gene.

But shine, body shape and gold tone are genetically there...cant change them thu u can dull them with poor water.

I spoke as someone who has seen many different farms' XB.. I believe golden head are not that rare
i agree with bradder vic..to mi..the pic shows are goldens lines on the head.which are quite common.the real golden heads are not dots but gold tone covering the whole head.that wat i call golden head..
Old 18-08-2004, 12:07 AM   #16
AroHong

AFC Member

Wat is a golden head (?), I saw the ones that DFI brought to the recent Aquarama and the only one with a full gold patch across the head was priced around SGD 12k, while the rest with abit of gold lines etc was about SGD 4K+, actual size I can't remember. Back then the gold head was a rarity.

In the last couple of months, I have seen in Malaysia quite a few 9~12 inch fully crossed XBs with a big or developing patch of gold (not lines) on the head.<By the way its actually bronze/golden color - not the white or silver patch of DFI golden heads) Its beginning to look like the golden head developing by this size may be one of the new standard demand by buyers.
Old 18-08-2004, 10:04 AM   #17
fong
Dragon

Not golden lines, my cross backs comm some head also got golden lines so quite common but i saying a patch of gold on the head like the one in the earlier pic. i agree when you said "believe me golden head are not that rare lah". They are not that rare like the FFLs. I'm just saying they are not common. If you come across shops selling one like that one in the earlier pic, let me know. Maybe buying one if the price is "common".

Shine are important too, but if a cross backs never cross fully to sixth level , then its potential is limited (remember not all so called cross backs crossed to the sixth level). Sixth level crossing, color, shine and body shape are all genetic. These are all attributes of a good cross back. Without any of those, then not very good liao. (I'm not talking about white fibre sixth level crossing enhancement)

Was at Amazon last week. Saw a Kim Kang cross back displayed at Amazon(15 inches). If anyone interested, do drop by. Heard from Steven is Vic's batch. Looks like his too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic
Mr Fong,

I beg to disagree ....I have seen the golden line disappear before leh..I think this golden line on the head are like 6th level crossing...takes time. It also depend on gene.

I spoke as someone who has seen many different farms' XB.... I believe golden head are not that rare
Old 18-08-2004, 10:09 AM   #18
fong
Dragon

Which pic you referring to? The first pic lah. Not the second one. Your quite common means you see it commonly izzit? Where to see ? I want to buy like that one in the first pic. One batch gold gold...not lines type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack lee
i agree with bradder vic..to mi..the pic shows are goldens lines on the head.which are quite common.the real golden heads are not dots but gold tone covering the whole head.that wat i call golden head..
Old 18-08-2004, 10:12 AM   #19
fong
Dragon

Looks it you seen it before also? Where to get one now at "common" price. I mean the first pic aros with one patch golden not lines type like the second pic. i'm keen to get one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my0000
Bro Vic.... Agree with you.
Pretty common I would say .... nothing exceptional.

I oso have 1 .....got little bit here & there & still improving every now & then.
1 thing for sure the colour will remains .... juz pop up naturally over time.

Still a very young aro at only 2.5 years old or less. Nothing special as many ordinary XBs can also turn out to be.
Old 18-08-2004, 10:42 AM   #20
fong
Dragon

Bro Vic,

You said "For me the most important factors in choosing a XB are the shine, gold tone and body shape...all other things are not important."

A cross backs to have cross to the six level. Infact this is the most important criteria. Why do you think breeders put them in white fibre tank for? You have also seen big cross backs that nevers crosses haven't you? So your pubic hair comparision is not rational lah. Some cross backs hardly crosses to sixth level. Infact, your criteria may suit a high quality Red Tail Golden from Panda and SABF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic
I think what NLB meant was putting the young XB in a white/bright environment i.e. white fibre tank. The environment appear to make the XB "cross faster".

I agreed with what he said.

Its not "true crossing" but only the development of the base colour...by that I meant the development of the based color over the many rows (including 6th row) of the fish caused by the whitish background when the fish tried to blend into its environment. Its the same theory for black backgd for red.

"True crossing" is the crossing of the gold rim and not based colour. As the fish is still very young the golden rim at the edge of the scale will only develop at later stage. The crossing of the "base colour" will fade off when the fish is placed in "normal environment" i.e. our tank. Thats why these XB/RTG looks whitish when juz intro into tanks....

One thing good about this method is that at least u know u are getting a real XB....for an RTG will NEVER cross even with that environment....it only shows the true potiential of the RTG i.e how high can the level go.

For me the most important factors in choosing a XB are the shine, gold tone and body shape...all other things are not important.

Certain things need time....we cant really expect a 1-2 yrs old child to grow pubic hair rite?

Hope this helps