Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Stingrays & other bottom dwellers Forum

Old 18-08-2009, 05:23 PM   #1
bBxiAng

Default ray pup shedding skin

hey guys...just got myself 2 ray pups...when just introduced to tank...they started shedding skin quite badly...after monitoring it for awhile..i tot it might be the Ph...so i added blackwater....the shedding stopped within an hour....and they started swimming around ...doing chin ups....

second day they became inactive....no shedding..

third day i did a 25% water change....added Purewater....but they started shedding again...

if its the ph...i tot tap water ph should be around 7? from my knowledge of motoro...7 shldnt be causing ph burns?

any bro kana this b4? if im looking in the wrong direction can anyone correct me? cheers! i added 5ml of blackwater...monitoring now~
Old 18-08-2009, 06:03 PM   #2
lincolngoh

Did you use water from the tap without using anti chlorine?
Old 18-08-2009, 06:09 PM   #3
bBxiAng

hey bro..thanks for coming to the rescue!

haha..i read the box of the pure liquid...i tot it acts as anti chlorine too?!?!?! oh no...cos i was using it as my water conditioner...and i cant figure out what the ray is getting burnt by...

1) PH
2) salt...but i totally dissolved my salt before adding
3) chlorine..but i added pure water which up till now i tot was a all in 1 water conditioner -.-...

what shld be the best corrective action i should take now? or rather at 11pm at night cause i will be out...the shedding seemed to have stopped...but any suggestions to prevent future occurance and..get them to start eating? i think they are spooked out..the female eats abit of bloodworms but the male isnt

cheers!
Old 18-08-2009, 06:26 PM   #4
lincolngoh

Forget all the rest of the stuff, its either not important or detrimental... only the anti chlorine(anti-chloramine) added to the water a few hours before it's put into the tank is essential.

Get a PH meter too.
Old 18-08-2009, 06:31 PM   #5
genki
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bBxiAng View Post
hey guys...just got myself 2 ray pups...when just introduced to tank...they started shedding skin quite badly...after monitoring it for awhile..i tot it might be the Ph...so i added blackwater....the shedding stopped within an hour....and they started swimming around ...doing chin ups....

third day i did a 25% water change....added Purewater....but they started shedding again...

if its the ph...i tot tap water ph should be around 7? from my knowledge of motoro...7 shldnt be causing ph burns?

any bro kana this b4? if im looking in the wrong direction can anyone correct me? cheers! i added 5ml of blackwater...monitoring now~
Did you climatize the ray pups properly in the 1st place? Think they are not shedding skin but slime. Did you net them out of the water into the tank?
I am surprised after adding black water they are doing chin ups & moving around within after shedding slime quite badly though.
genki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 01:57 AM   #6
Tay
Dragon

5 ml of black water not enough lah, add more ok.
Tay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 02:05 AM   #7
hyde
Dragon

i guess you never climatize your ray properly..shredding slime is becos of ph changes too drastic, meaning the water from the ray that you bought back ph difference is too much from your tank water thats why your ray start shredding slime, i suggest u monitor and do small water changes if necessary.
hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 02:51 AM   #8
bBxiAng

hey guys ~ back from classes...the female..smaller in size....but looks healthier...no visible physical wounds...swimming around late in the night. just fed blood worms...female ate!

Male however, still show abit of shedding...inactive and not feeding..however...he is larger and fatter when i got them together, size wise.

regarding climatisation, i left the bag to float for 45mins before releasing...ironically on the first day...the rays were very active and were swimming and doing chinup the whole evening...it is only during the second day that they were inactive...and the third day..after a water change...started shedding...

I dont think its slim...because on my tank floor...there is this white powdery stuff, and when things were bad...i could see the edges all around the disc peeling off.

i really hope i can identify the problem accurately to prevent another occurance during my nxt water change this saturday!

any help would be appreciated! thanks! anyone who wants to drop by can also let me know
Old 19-08-2009, 03:02 AM   #9
hyde
Dragon

Quote:
hey guys ~ back from classes...the female..smaller in size....but looks healthier...no visible physical wounds...swimming around late in the night. just fed blood worms...female ate!

Male however, still show abit of shedding...inactive and not feeding..however...he is larger and fatter when i got them together, size wise.

regarding climatisation, i left the bag to float for 45mins before releasing...ironically on the first day...the rays were very active and were swimming and doing chinup the whole evening...it is only during the second day that they were inactive...and the third day..after a water change...started shedding...

I dont think its slim...because on my tank floor...there is this white powdery stuff, and when things were bad...i could see the edges all around the disc peeling off.

i really hope i can identify the problem accurately to prevent another occurance during my nxt water change this saturday!

any help would be appreciated! thanks! anyone who wants to drop by can also let me know
bro keeping ray and keeping aro is a different thing..u mean u leave the bag to float for 45mins then u release the rays in?? thats absolutely wrong way to aclimatize ray..pls do read up before you start ray keeping and your rays are suffering from ph burnt if not wrong..add more air stone and water conditioner and monitor
hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 06:01 AM   #10
aia414
Arofanatic

Quote:

direct tap water may not necessary be ph7. . .it seems to occur when you do water change. highly suspect it ph burn.....
aia414 is offline   Reply With Quote