Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > General Freshwater Forum

Old 31-12-2011, 10:56 AM   #1
4j's

Default need advice

Hi guys! I'm new in this hobby. Now desperate and need all the professional advice that i can get. FYI my fishes are the common ones that that can be seen in any shops second I bought an aquarium (60X29X45cm) as a starter, now the scenario was:

1. the first time i change the water in my tank, after few days my fishes died and they develop some whitish spots in their body
2. i bought a new sets of fish, but then the same as the first one...they died even without changing the water but this time they dont have whitish spot.

What could be the problem? Everytime before I put in a fish I let the water settles inside the aquaruim for at least 24-48 hrs-together with the filter and oxygen. Plus the antichlorine solution (i follow the instruction carefully in the label).
When i intend to change the water in the tank i do the same as above.

Btw, which fish have longer span of life?

Now, I'm confused and frustrated...feels sorry for my fishes...i have a heavy heart fishing them out

All your advice will be greatly appreciated...thanks
Old 31-12-2011, 11:34 AM   #2
leavemeuntitled
Dragon

bro,mind sharing how do you do your water change?
leavemeuntitled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:26 AM   #3
4j's

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavemeuntitled View Post
bro,mind sharing how do you do your water change?
First of all, thank you for the time reading my post...as for your ?
I put the water in the pail and let it settle overnight together with antichlorine, then the next day i throw about 10 % of the water from the tank and replaced it with the water i prepared. Usually its a 1:1 ratio of used and new water.
Hope can adviced me properly...Thanks and happy new year!
Old 01-01-2012, 12:27 AM   #4
sloke

Get a PH pen to check your tap water PH level and also test kits to check water parameter. May I know what kind of you are keeping?
Old 01-01-2012, 02:09 AM   #5
icecoolbeer69

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4j's View Post
Hi guys! I'm new in this hobby. Now desperate and need all the professional advice that i can get. FYI my fishes are the common ones that that can be seen in any shops second I bought an aquarium (60X29X45cm) as a starter, now the scenario was:

1. the first time i change the water in my tank, after few days my fishes died and they develop some whitish spots in their body
2. i bought a new sets of fish, but then the same as the first one...they died even without changing the water but this time they dont have whitish spot.

What could be the problem? Everytime before I put in a fish I let the water settles inside the aquaruim for at least 24-48 hrs-together with the filter and oxygen. Plus the antichlorine solution (i follow the instruction carefully in the label).
When i intend to change the water in the tank i do the same as above.

Btw, which fish have longer span of life?

Now, I'm confused and frustrated...feels sorry for my fishes...i have a heavy heart fishing them out

All your advice will be greatly appreciated...thanks

You have the same problems as mine. Almost. Doing a water cycle now. Ammonia is quite high after water change. Added bacteria starter waiting for it to clear. May takes days /weeks.
You can read the thread here:
http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=482655
Old 01-01-2012, 10:24 AM   #6
leavemeuntitled
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4j's View Post
First of all, thank you for the time reading my post...as for your ?
I put the water in the pail and let it settle overnight together with antichlorine, then the next day i throw about 10 % of the water from the tank and replaced it with the water i prepared. Usually its a 1:1 ratio of used and new water.
Hope can adviced me properly...Thanks and happy new year!
your wc procedure does not seems wrong.
as what bro icecoolbeer said,there might not have enough beneficial bacteria in your filtration system.did you cycle your tank before you add in the livestocks?
leavemeuntitled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #7
4j's

Happy New to EVERYONE! May we all have a blessed and prosperous year ahead...cheers!

Thank you for those who replied me back.

MAy i know where can i buy a PH pen and a test kits? And roughly how much will it cost me?

Btw, any suggestions on which fish is less sensitive and delicate? Actually, this hobby is for my kids...and my knowledge is limited-not wide enough...so i am dependent on your feedbacks and replies...Thank you...
Old 02-01-2012, 12:48 PM   #8
Eyesight

You can try to ask for test kits & PH pen from "Nanyang Trading Aquarium Pte Ltd is located at Sea View Aquarium Singapore, 2 Seletar West Farmway, Tel 64841365." can't remember the price but reasonable range of products & can get discount too.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:57 PM   #9
Eyesight

Saltwater fish prefer an alkaline pH of 8.0 or above. Freshwater fish thrive in a range lower than that, somewhere between 5.5 and 7.5, depending on the specific species.
Goldfish 7.0 - 7.5
Neon Tetra 5.8 - 6.2
Plecostomus 5.0 - 7.0
Tiger Barb 6.0 - 6.5
Angelfish 6.5 - 7.0
Clown Loach 6.0 - 6.5
Old 02-01-2012, 01:03 PM   #10
amiidae

What sort of fishes did you buy ? Whats their size and how many do you have in that tank ?

amiidae is offline   Reply With Quote