Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 16-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #1
Aces
Arofanatic

Default Novice Startup

I failed last time due to water issue. Feel like starting a small one.

Nano Tank - IQ5
1. Is the filter ok?
2. Is the led light enough, and how long I need to on per day, likely will be a FOWLR tank.
3. Need skimmer?
Hydrometer - Those with swing arms
Test kit - I don't really know about this. Any simple to use dummy kit available?
Live sand and Live rock
Water - First time round will get from aquarium, sub will ownself mix
destilled water with marine salt. I still don't understand what is R/O water and where to get those.

Fish introduction and coral will be at a more later stage. Maybe just 2 or 3 fishes in it. No intention to overstock since my intention is to start up a basic set to get a feel of things before moving on to bigger project in future. As I mentioned i'm a novice so please don't bash me if I wrote something silly.
Aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 03:33 PM   #2
ethanleow
Dragon

bro actually small one harder to maintain. i tried it with my fw nano, although quite successful but very tiring.. more frequent wc, more testing.
ethanleow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 03:57 PM   #3
ethanleow
Dragon

petfran ph pen and api test kits are simple to use.. hydrometer swingarm type abit difficult to use.
Old 16-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #4
marine_lover

The smaller the harder in maintain the water condition. Just a slight swing in water perimeter, fishes and coral's health will easily be affected.

My personnel experience for IQ5 is the light is not strong enough for coral and the return pump is weak too..! I knew it because I have just torn down my IQ5 last week and on the way setting up my 1.5ft cube !
Old 16-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
ethanleow
Dragon

if i were to use a additional pump for IQ5, what pump would u recommend??
Old 16-04-2012, 08:19 PM   #6
Aces
Arofanatic

How come the hydrometer swing arm type hard to use? It quite easy mah nvm start with iq5 first nan think of upgrade later. The salt water can buy from auntie right? Think of buying for first setup so at least maybe cycle time may be faster.. I hope can ask discount from her
Old 16-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #7
Aces
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanleow View Post
if i were to use a additional pump for IQ5, what pump would u recommend??
I think i saw video ppl use wavemaker for their nano
Old 17-04-2012, 08:54 AM   #8
KaLiB

If its a FOWLR setup, the stock lights would usually be sufficient. Lighting is only important for lighting up the tank and showing the fish and their colours in this case.

A skimmer would be a good piece of equipment to have if budget or space allows. It removes dissolved organics from the water before they decompose and goes a long way to help keeping the water clean. It is not a must have though.

R/O water is basically reverse osmosis water made from a RO/DI unit. It is a very pure form of water as compared to water straight from the tap. You would need to buy and install a RO/DI unit in your home to get that.
Old 17-04-2012, 09:12 AM   #9
illumnae
Dragon

For nano/pico tanks, the recommendation over at nano-reef is to do a 10% weekly water change. If a skimmer (the Dymax skimmer) is installed in the IQ5, how much water change would be needed?
illumnae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 09:37 AM   #10
Aces
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLiB View Post
If its a FOWLR setup, the stock lights would usually be sufficient. Lighting is only important for lighting up the tank and showing the fish and their colours in this case.

A skimmer would be a good piece of equipment to have if budget or space allows. It removes dissolved organics from the water before they decompose and goes a long way to help keeping the water clean. It is not a must have though.

R/O water is basically reverse osmosis water made from a RO/DI unit. It is a very pure form of water as compared to water straight from the tap. You would need to buy and install a RO/DI unit in your home to get that.
Tank u bro, really helpful info. I would start purchasing stuff next week after my exam hence any input will be helpfully. I have a water purifier system at home those type that intall into the tap, not very sure if that is the ro/di unit. If that is the one will be good since don't need buy distilled water.