Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 31-10-2013, 11:48 PM   #1
mikeymike

Default White gelish substance.

Hi guys! Help needed urgently!

There is this white gelish substance growing in my tank on the suction cups, air hose and etc.

What is it?

Is it normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 31-10-2013, 11:55 PM   #2
RES!
Arofanatic

Sounds normal, it's prob just the build up of all the organic stuff from the food and water over time. Just wipe them off during water change.
RES! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:02 AM   #3
mikeymike

Quote:
Originally Posted by RES! View Post
Sounds normal, it's prob just the build up of all the organic stuff from the food and water over time. Just wipe them off during water change.
Okay. Thanks bro. Is there anyway to reduce or stop it? It's quite bad actually. Everywhere has it besides the fishes and the plant.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:08 AM   #4
RES!
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeymike View Post
Okay. Thanks bro. Is there anyway to reduce or stop it? It's quite bad actually. Everywhere has it besides the fishes and the plant.

It can't be stopped and it's hard to say how to reduce it as everyone's feeding and water change regime differs. So you can try reducing feeding and increasing water changes if you want to. Also, remember to wipe down the sides of the glass about once a week, as well as wiping the rest of the equipment in the tank.

It's also prob not deadly, so don't stress over it.
RES! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
Vitor
Dragon

Quote:
Hi guys! Help needed urgently!

There is this white gelish substance growing in my tank on the suction cups, air hose and etc.

What is it?

Is it normal?

if ur one only plants no wood (wood it will create a lot of waste from chewing wood), get a pleco L190 juv baby one . clear my tank all that substance within a day. feed on algae wafer
Vitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:38 PM   #6
Gordy
Dragon

pelco

Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:42 AM   #7
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Sounds like biofilm you are referring to? If it's on your tank glass, a magnet cleaner would suffice. If it's on your tank accessories, just rubbing them down with your fingers during wc will clear them, but only for awhile. Will come back again.
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:17 AM   #8
mikeymike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitor View Post
if ur one only plants no wood (wood it will create a lot of waste from chewing wood), get a pleco L190 juv baby one . clear my tank all that substance within a day. feed on algae wafer
i tried adding plecos into the tank, the funny thing is all my other fishes are doing well yet the pleco dies off after 2 days? i checked my water, all indications are fine. any bros encounter this before??
Old 05-11-2013, 08:13 AM   #9
Vitor
Dragon

Quote:
i tried adding plecos into the tank, the funny thing is all my other fishes are doing well yet the pleco dies off after 2 days? i checked my water, all indications are fine. any bros encounter this before??
No leh, my pleco v healthy. Normally I catch on which is hardest to catch , and they v hardy fish. Normally last to die. Unless one u got is sick or water bad.
Vitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #10
jenson
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitor View Post
Yeah, I concur with bro Vitor that pleco would definitely help, the reason I've finally taken it out is due to it persistently sucking on my goldfishes slimes and nip their fins!

I saw my pleco clearing the gelish substance on my filter, my glass tank wall, as well as the air tube! Haha...
jenson is offline   Reply With Quote