Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 09-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #1
nooby

Default Building a tank... and i thought it was a simple work :)

It has always been my dream to have a huge tank but to main such hubby is rather expensive and time consuming. due to these 2 major constraints, it took me almost a year to plan this out. A massive plan indeed as I had to the house upside down just to make this dream of mine come through thankfully my wife is rather supportive of this. Else, I'll probably sleep outside for the rest of my life...

Previosly, I had a 6x3.5x2 ft tank and I was a happy man, but it gets a little bit crowded when I have 3 aros in it. It was just 1 year old and I had to find a new home for the aros. Furthermore, my earlier design has some drawbacks, the water evoporation from the humidity is rather bad and it damages the internal park of the wall. So the new design needs to address 3 major problems.

1. size
2. humidity due to enclosed area
3. easy of maintenance(for lazy people like me)

To identy the size that I want was ready easy... "as big as possible" but to have it done poses quite a few challenges itself. The base of the glass has 2x15mm glass being laminated into 1 sheet. it was thick enough for 2 people to stand ontop of it without breaking. For the sides, it's 15mm all rounder. This is for the main tank, the sump uses 12mm glass. It has to be installed onsite as it way to heavy to have it done and brought over from my friend's factory. I had the opportunity to look at how they build an aquarium and I hope this can be of interest to some of you.

I had to install an exhaust fan to extract the air from the enclosed tank to the outside. that helps in reducing the humidity/water evaporation.

I have learnt 1 thing in this exercise, the simpler the maintenance, the more difficult it will be to have it in place. Just for the drainage alone, I had to redo back my drainage piping and it was a massive job. The objective is rather simply, 2 pipe. 1 for main pipe to bring in the water and the other is to release dirty water to the drain. I think i could be the first few who uses industrial solenoid valve to control water inlet and outlet. It's connected to a timer that will release water from the tank to the drain and there is another sensor that will open up the tap water and top-up the water in the tank. this tank was commissioned 1yr+ ago and I have never "maintain" it myself. It just works

I'm not very good with essays, hope... i'll put up some specs and then let the pictures speak for itself.

Tank Size : 9x4x2.5
Sump Size : 8x2x2
Backup tank size : 8x2x2
Main Pump : Rio 32Hf 7300litres/hr
Water Topup : JBL Auto Top Up system
Water Controller : Burkert slenoid Valve (2 units, inlet and outlet)
PH controller : CO2 tank + PH controller to ensure ph swing is minimal
Wavemaker : tunze stream 12000liters/hr
subtrates : Eheim Substrat pro (10Kg), Bio rings (30Kgs), Coral chips (20Kgs), Bio balls (1000pcs), Jap matt.
Tank Weight : 500Kg
Tank Weight + Water : 3000Kg
Total Water Volume : 3000litres (incl. sump)
Old 09-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #2
nooby

Breaking the wall:

Old 09-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #3
nooby

Delivery of the tank:

Old 09-03-2013, 01:07 PM   #4
nooby

Fixing up the metal frame support:

Old 09-03-2013, 01:08 PM   #5
nooby

Sliding in the sump:

Old 09-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #6
nooby

Building of aquarium Part 1:

Old 09-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #7
nooby

Building of aquarium Part 2:

Old 09-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #8
nooby

Building of aquarium Part 3:

Old 09-03-2013, 01:12 PM   #9
nooby

Actually the piping involves quite a lot of work but i didn't have the chance to take a lot of photos...

Internal Piping works :

Old 09-03-2013, 01:13 PM   #10
Bigfoot1989
Dragon

Wow that is a very huge tank! Are u from singapore? If yes can view ur tank when u done? Whaha
Bigfoot1989 is offline   Reply With Quote