Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 03-08-2005, 12:00 AM   #1
zihao

Default Discussion on Droop Eyes and Fish Diet

1. Comments or contributions about your diet plans for the fish, or in here, particularly Arowana.

2. Should we vote on something interesting too
Most possible/frequent causes of droop eyes ->
1. Genetics
2. Environment
3. Diet/Food
4. Others (list them)

Old 03-08-2005, 12:03 AM   #2
zihao

I will start the ball rolling:
1. For my red arowanas, mainly specially formulated pellets and market prawns. For gold, mainly the same pellets and beef/pig heart (mixed with other stuff).

2. Most of the cases I see is diet-caused droop eyes.

Old 03-08-2005, 12:41 AM   #3
^GeNoME^
Dragon

i think for my case... should be enviroment... aros tt i have ever reared does not give me a problem of droop eye at all... my present aro has got droop eye ever since i got it from its previous owner... dun think the diets varies much.... genetic only give the aro the potential to develop this problem.. environmental issues usually plays a bigger part..
Old 03-08-2005, 01:00 AM   #4
Hitsugaya

Default Newbie view

I have this concept, although i never own an arowana, but i believe that the cause of droop eyes, is due to the diet & space.

1) Wild arowana do not consume food everyday, not everyday they get to find food, thus they are not kinda of overfed every single day.

2) Wild arowanas have plenty of space for them to swim / (exercise) thus the fats in the body should be lesser. which i find droop eye is kinda of fat deposits.

I believe that because of the limited space that we restrict domestic arowanas and the insane amt of food we give ( we always pamper our fishes do we? ) it may cause the droop eye prob.

Old 03-08-2005, 01:41 AM   #5
Vetduck

I'll have to disagree that diet is the main cause of drop eyes. I've seen obese aros with perfect eyes. All the aros I've owned, I feed them well. Some do develop drop eyes while others don't.

I've noticed that the more inquisitive aros that tend to swim to & fro the front of the tank looking out tend to be the ones that develop drop eyes.

The way the eyes are set also has a part to play. Aros with eyes that protrude more or what people call dragon eyes, never develop drop eyes. This should not be confused with bilateral exophthalmos, which would mean osmoregulatory failure, eg kidney failure. You would expect dropsy with that as well.

While genetics would determine the way the eyes are set. The environment exacerbates the problem. Tanks with high human traffic, esp with children playing on the floor in front of the tank. These aros seem to be more proned to drop eyes. I think it's a multifactorial problem, but diet is definitely not one of them.

Old 03-08-2005, 01:47 AM   #6
irwini
Arofanatic

most of e time droop symptons only happened to a eye. my aro got slightly droop eye on e right eye. i never overfeed, y still got tis problem??
Old 03-08-2005, 07:33 AM   #7
Aroboy II
AFC Member

Bare tanks cause eye-droop due to the aro looking downwards?
Lightings too strong from the top? Any comments? Thanks.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:48 AM   #8
luckydragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zihao
A jump from the thread at http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...30#post3378430

Here is the new discussion topics:

1. Comments or contributions about your diet plans for the fish, or in here, particularly Arowana.

2. Should we vote on something interesting too
Most possible/frequent causes of droop eyes ->
1. Genetics
2. Environment
3. Diet/Food
4. Others (list them)
(Too bad no poll function here or is it that I dont know there is any)

Kenny, Simon and others who followed our discussion at above mentioned thread, feel free to comment.
I eould agree with vetduck. I believe genetics play an important role in droop eyes, and the environment may have a significant effect, too. One of my friends has 2 RTGs which were bought from the same source, farm but tagged on different dates. They are in the same tank, therefore, same water, and food. One got bad droop eyes, and the other does not.
I was told to prevent, or minimize droop eyes, the environment should be darkened. Also, put some floating objects in the tank so that the fish do not look downward all time to the bottom of the tank.

Old 03-08-2005, 07:48 AM   #9
poi pounder

my opinion leads towards the genetics side as I have kept numerous silvers and jardinis all in bars tanks and with the same diets. while the jardinis never had drop eye some of my silvers got it.

Old 03-08-2005, 09:48 AM   #10
Hobbit6003
Dragon

Hi Zihao and all,

Yes, I do agree with Vetduck that genetics have alot to do with this syndrome. Environmental factors such as placement of tanks and lights, human traffic and all, woudl be what i call as risk factors.

Just like obesity, which is usually genetically pre-determined. THe risk factors, therfore would be things like diet and exercise (or the lack of). Hence if one is able to control teh risk factors, then the genetic presentation may not get expressed out.

Besides anatomical feature such as a protruded/inset eye, which is genetically pre-determined of course, the other factor could be a laxity in the muscles that control eyeball movement. This, to me, could also be genetically pre-determined, as it seems to be affecting the silvers more than other aro species.It could also be due to chronic muscular fatigue due to the exposure to the evironmental factors a mentioned above.

About fatty accumulation behind the eyes, I really don't think that is the cause. First of all, in order to have accumulated so much fats to displace the eye, it'll have to take a long time. This will not explain why some of the young fishes are also affected.

Secondly, there's the existing practice by some farms, which trim away these fatty tissues behind the eyeball, so as to re-set the eyball back into the so called proper position. However, from what I can gather after talking to a couple of these farmers, the relapse rate is high.

You see, you need to have fat cells and tissues for you to deposit fats, they don't just ooze out into the open spaces like that. And fat cells, once removed, do not regenerate. Then if this is the case, why would there be a relapse of the droopy eyes once fatty tissues have been removed?

Cheers,

Kenny