Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 30-03-2006, 12:44 AM   #1
O2mini

Default 1st time planted - 1.5ft tank

this is REAL BAD .... so don't laugh ....plz
plz plz post comments on how i can improve this (budget counts too).

i bought NUTRAFIN CO2 kit - a small pump which i think is abit too powerful for my tank ... thats y i faced it to the front - instead of across the tank.

- leaving PL light on 8hrs a day

i face difficulties in these areas

1. taking out the plants out of the black small plastic pot without breaking abit of the roots

2. planting the plants in the soil - keeps floating (so i tried like sort of burying 1/4 of the plant in soil) - [maybe is my gravel too little- currently about 1.5" high]

3. its been one whole day and a do not see any bubbles forming on the surface of the plant

4. alot of CO2 is being released from the CO2 kit - and inconsistent

5. how do i level the sand - my glass tank is curved - got abit of perplex error i think.

phew! thats it for now.... sorry for the lousy pic - [V3 is the lousiest phone i've carried so far]
Old 30-03-2006, 12:45 AM   #2
O2mini

btw its a 55w 2ft PL light - so that light can hit the sides of the 1.5ft tank.
Old 30-03-2006, 12:53 AM   #3
the_r0ck

1. taking out the plants out of the black small plastic pot without breaking abit of the roots

breaking off abit of the roots are ok. Just pull the whole plant with the wool out gently. Then just roll the cotton wool out. Doing it in water or slow running water helps.

2. planting the plants in the soil - keeps floating (so i tried like sort of burying 1/4 of the plant in soil) - [maybe is my gravel too little- currently about 1.5" high]

You can increase the amount of gravel or you can plant it in at an angle. Amano usually slots his plants in at a slightly slanted angle to prevent such cases.

3. its been one whole day and a do not see any bubbles forming on the surface of the plant

You need to have good CO2 AND nutrients as well as light balance. You didn't mention your fert regime but you need to have good CO2 ppm. With 55w blasting in the tank you really need to find your your CO2 ppm. Measure your pH and KH to determine that.

4. alot of CO2 is being released from the CO2 kit - and inconsistent

DIY CO2 is as such. Only with cylinder CO2 can you hope to achieve consistent results.

5. how do i level the sand - my glass tank is curved - got abit of perplex error i think.

Actually over time it will level itself due to water flows and your fauna. Otherwise, just use a ruler or a set-square.
Old 30-03-2006, 01:08 AM   #4
O2mini

thanx boss

and for planted tank need to add antichlorine - nutrafin or salt or not uh...

juz a doubt .... and i using those stick ferterlizer... those plant in soil near the roots... is it good ?

anything else i can add(not to expensive) ?

how long before i should start seeing oygen bubles on my plant ?
Old 30-03-2006, 10:51 AM   #5
the_r0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2mini
thanx boss

and for planted tank need to add antichlorine - nutrafin or salt or not uh...

juz a doubt .... and i using those stick ferterlizer... those plant in soil near the roots... is it good ?

anything else i can add(not to expensive) ?

how long before i should start seeing oygen bubles on my plant ?
Yes, you will need to add antichlorines and antichloromines. Nutrafin's Aquaplus or another product called Genesis is good. (I am using both now)

Stick ferts.. well, cause it depends on your tank. If you have alot of rooting plants then you need to have a good layer of base fert and stick ferts are used as boosters in this case. But since you have very little plants and from the amount of gravel I guess you have no base fert, stick ferts are good enough.

For O2 bubbles. You will only see them when the amount of oxygen content in the water reaches saturation point. This has actually been discussed before. Simply put, your plants must photosynthesize vigourously and is able to overtake the faunas' intake of O2 and break the saturation mark. You need to have much more plant mass then you have now to reach there. Also, you need to have good balance of CO2/lights/nutrients.

Hope this helps.
Old 30-03-2006, 01:35 PM   #6
Leecheewei85

hey! like your tank! the curve is good...

Anyhow, i thought perhaps your tank can be further enhance with more plants? but i thought you are achieving simplicity now...
Old 31-03-2006, 01:57 AM   #7
O2mini

thanx bro for the tips on planting at an angle... and using a ruler to level out the sand

i bought ferts from C328 from the 24hrs shop...
he intro me this laterite fertilizer by ISTA ($15)

dunno if good.... some brown balls...
just planted them beside the roots

the reason why i have so little plants is because this is just a trail...
if the plants do not turn brown or die.... will redo the tank or do up a 3ft.

if only plants were as easy as aros to monitor changes...... zzz