Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Stingrays & other bottom dwellers Forum > Showcase & Updates

Old 03-08-2014, 10:26 AM   #21
Adrian Kwok
AFC Member

Thumbs up

Too captivating.. Can I have some??
Adrian Kwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:29 AM   #22
ap99
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
Understood, so light base & well lit environment are the key factors for the big spotters?
Er... Not really bro it mainly depended on the genes!.. Environment comes after that,....
ap99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:34 AM   #23
ap99
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by azon View Post
Change hp and take a better video la.. knn..
I just change only leh.... Wah you demand high high lah this vid i take using K zoom.... Er... or me skill cannot make it lah hehehe

Last edited by ap99; 03-08-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:39 AM   #24
ap99
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshy View Post
Lovely brooders Dennis!
Your rays never fail to impress.
Are they from your previous breeding or WC?
Thanks Marshers.... All are previous breeding of my own
Old 03-08-2014, 10:43 AM   #25
sen_jie
Senior Dragon

Amazing...

Saw that its in a outdoor pond, is it fully sheltered? Will e rain water affect the quality of water?
sen_jie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:53 AM   #26
marshy

Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap99 View Post
Thanks Marshers.... All are previous breeding of my own
Lovely!!
In fact.. The really nicer specimens are the ones with really messy patterns. Has captive breeding of BD changed so much to acquire such new look? If so, all the past discussion on requirements of what constitute to being a true BD can throw out the window liao.. Both local and international discussions and final requirements.

It's a really fantastic achievement to rewrite such a deeply debated topic.
marshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:56 AM   #27
nutx
Dragon

Quote:
I just change only leh.... Wah you demand high high lah this vid i take using K zoom.... Er... or me skill cannot make it lah hehehe
nice ray....

maybe your hand too shaky...
nutx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:12 AM   #28
ap99
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pet shop boys View Post
Power! Superb collection..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary View Post
Amazing collection!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodzilla1188 View Post
Very powerful !! Speechless
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckerBox View Post
Simply amazing!!!
Thanks guys for e compliment
Quote:
Originally Posted by takanori View Post
That pcs at the end of the video is astonishing!
That small piece you are saying.. Like her too
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoon View Post
very nice future brooders..can see more white than black on some pcs
no lah herman,... Only 2 or 3 lah hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragnet88 View Post
Nice collection,
Your pond open air or shelter?
It's 70% sheltered 30% open....
Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy View Post
Very powerful collection for next breeding stock. Every pieces is a gem, so beautiful! Really cannot imagine what will come out of them at next gen.
I'm waiting too haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zozo View Post
Keeping Singapore flag flying high. Impressive breeding stocks.
Chris... Not so great lah you like that say I also pai seh
Quote:
Originally Posted by conchabullosa View Post
Super nice!!
They always look better out in the pond under natural sunlight!!
Yes Michael..... Agreed it has better BW contrast!,... In fact I have a school of wild caught at first went they arrive they're spot are yellow but after 7-8 months the spot turn super white even main diet is mp and fgs from bro Tay...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Kwok View Post
Too captivating.. Can I have some??
Hehehe you say leh
Quote:
Originally Posted by sen_jie View Post
Amazing...

Saw that its in a outdoor pond, is it fully sheltered? Will e rain water affect the quality of water?
No it's not fully sheltered.... Rain not an issue too,... in fact better for rays too
Old 03-08-2014, 11:43 AM   #29
ap99
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshy View Post
Lovely!!
In fact.. The really nicer specimens are the ones with really messy patterns. Has captive breeding of BD changed so much to acquire such new look? If so, all the past discussion on requirements of what constitute to being a true BD can throw out the window liao.. Both local and international discussions and final requirements.

It's a really fantastic achievement to rewrite such a deeply debated topic.
Those messy pattern you see are pups that are keep in white tank since born so that they're pattern are very pronouns,... There are some pups who are born with lines too,... but if they( both ) are being keep in a much darker environment like in the wild,.. this what so call messy pattern you see will turn into island sporting as they grow,.. just like a adult old ray went they are young they're spot are solid but as they grow older you start to see a shadow on the solid spot... Than it turn to a donut.... Than donut become thinner n thinner it starts to brake into 4 to 5 lines forming the circle n later it will shrunk till it become 4 to 5 spot..... So that's the reason you don't see such pattern in those sub adult wild caught cos it has already morf till like island look or very short lines that look more like an island!.... Hope you guys can understand my poor English

This is my personal experience after all this years not really international lah.... But still I may be wrong too

Last edited by ap99; 03-08-2014 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:04 PM   #30
marshy

Senior Moderator

Quote:
Those messy pattern you see are pups that are keep in white tank since born so that they're pattern are very pronouns,... There are some pups who are born with lines too,... but if they( both ) are being keep in a much darker environment like in the wild,.. this what so call messy pattern you see will turn into island sporting as they grow,.. just like a adult old ray went they are young they're spot are solid but as they grow older you start to see a shadow on the solid spot... Than it turn to a donut.... Than donut become thinner n thinner it starts to brake into 4 to 5 lines forming the circle n later it will shrunk till it become 4 to 5 spot..... So that's the reason you don't see such pattern in those sub adult wild caught cos it has already morf till like island look or very short lines that look more like an island!.... Hope you guys can understand my poor English

This is my personal experience after all this years not really international lah.... But still I may be wrong too
Quote:
Those messy pattern you see are pups that are keep in white tank since born so that they're pattern are very pronouns,...There are some pups who are born with lines too,...
You mean these BD pups were already born with patterns and lines and it's the WTT that makes it more pronounced? Already patterned BD pups... Interesting. Are these patterned BD pups occurrence only from recent captive breeding outcome?

Quote:
but if they( both ) are being keep in a much darker environment like in the wild,.. this what so call messy pattern you see will turn into island sporting as they grow,..
I may be mistaken but are you saying possibly Wild BDs do produce such patterned pups? Of course we don't see such specimen since all WC BD exports are typically at 10-12" size and up.

Quote:
just like a adult old ray went they are young they're spot are solid but as they grow older you start to see a shadow on the solid spot... Than it turn to a donut.... Than donut become thinner n thinner it starts to brake into 4 to 5 lines forming the circle n later it will shrunk till it become 4 to 5 spot.....
This phenomenon typically occurs with relatively bigger spots and as the ray grows bigger and bigger. And even in the whole process of "morphing", we can see these obvious patterns as morphing rather than as special messy look.

Quote:
So that's the reason you don't see such pattern in those sub adult wild caught cos it has already morf till like island look or very short lines that look more like an island!....
Ok. So what sizes are those messy patterned rays in your pond? They look at least sub adult size at minimum. Their look don't fit into the morph patterns you described.

Overall I understand what you're describing. Are you saying that those messy pattern rays are a result of all you described above? But I've seen such described rays in all their stages but their patterns don't match the messy patterns in the video.
marshy is offline   Reply With Quote