Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 06-06-2005, 06:21 PM   #31
Fire87
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimkuan
does it means that....the farm owner from 1 look they can distinguish its they farm fish a not?
Nope, who said that?

I guess you'd be more experienced than I am in the aro-keeping world. Isn't it more or less true aros from different farms have their own characteristics?
Old 06-06-2005, 06:22 PM   #32
Fire87
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhtan
yes some form of crossbreeding may have occurred but it is not like wat many have professed and spread it to be ... tat HBRTGs are a result of a breeding programme between Xbacks and RTGs ...
Hasn't the RTGxXB bubble been burst already?
Old 06-06-2005, 06:24 PM   #33
kimkuan

Quote:
yes some form of crossbreeding may have occurred but it is not like wat many have professed and spread it to be ... tat HBRTGs are a result of a breeding programme between Xbacks and RTGs ...
so, u agreed that xbreeding btw XB and RTG might occurs lar....its just that it dun makes sense to farms owners only...

Old 06-06-2005, 06:25 PM   #34
Mewmender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire87
Yup no farm will constantly have all their RTGs with yellowish tail, but it's a little observation I made over time. I may be totally incorrect, or just half correct, but some farms do throw out these fish consistantly. No? I wish I had pics from all the spawns to prove, alas it's impossible.

Agree with the second paragraph but it doesn't shed light on the threadstarter's topic. So are we trying to try to conclude if HBRTGs are pure strains or whether the HBRTGs are in fact RTGxXB descendants?
Imo nope, no 2 batches have exactly the same characteristics ....some might look simillar but they might not be genetically simillar.

I myself am in the camp of belivers that HBRTGs are juz selected and improved RTGs rather then the theory of crossing them with XBs ...
However for the theory of crossbreeding Xb with RTG resulting in HBRTG, the fish allele has to result in a mixture whereby AB co-dominant which the thread starter has mention isnt possible in the first few generations an may take many years which isnt commercially viable

Old 06-06-2005, 06:28 PM   #35
Fire87
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mewmender
Imo nope, no 2 batches have exactly the same characteristics ....

I myself am in the camp of belivers that HBRTGs are juz selected and improved RTGs rather then the theory of crossing them with XBs ...
However for the theory of crossbreeding Xb with RTG resulting in HBRTG,i the fish allele has to result in a mixture whereby AB co-dominant which the thread starter has mention isnt possible in the first few generations an may take many years which isnt commercially viable
Never said any 2 batches can have exactly the same characteristics leh. Just that a larger percentage of them show traits that are seldom/not seen in another supposedly same-strain fish from another farm.

Like I had said in a previous post, what if XBs are not in the equation? What if SRs can be used to get the HBRTG effect? And what if RTGx(banjarXRTG) can produce a similar fish? Not suggesting anything, have no evidence to prove or what. Just a speculation.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:31 PM   #36
Fire87
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimkuan
i no no.... but imo, even if the farm owner know...they will say no no...
agree... so if the farm owner say no no, then we will all no no.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:41 PM   #37
Mewmender

Quote:
Never said any 2 batches can have exactly the same characteristics leh. Just that a larger percentage of them show traits that are seldom/not seen in another supposedly same-strain fish from another farm.
oh ok,paiseh misread , but then again, none of us has seen every single aro from a certain farm, its very hard to conclude that most of them show that traits, i belive all of us only seen a small portion of all the aros produced by a farm (some are exported overseas and so on...not to mention the aros we have locally are juz a fraction of the amount a farm produces). Some LFS get to select their aros from the farm too, so they might have pick out those aros with the traits they like (eg yellowish tails) and sell at their shop?

juz my 0.2 cents

Old 06-06-2005, 06:45 PM   #38
shiokmc
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mewmender
oh ok,paiseh misread , but then again, none of us has seen every single aro from a certain farm, its very hard to conclude that most of them show that traits, i belive all of us only seen a small portion of all the aros produced by a farm (some are exported overseas and so on...not to mention the aros we have locally are juz a fraction of the amount a farm produces). Some LFS get to select their aros from the farm too, so they might have pick out those aros with the traits they like (eg yellowish tails) and sell at their shop?

juz my 0.2 cents
diffwent lfs boss haff diffwent preferences n likings as u hav mentioned... some look for deepDarkBody-colouration some like big finnage some like bulletHeads some love spoonn
Old 06-06-2005, 06:46 PM   #39
Mewmender

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiokmc
diffwent lfs boss haff diffwent preferences n likings as u hav mentioned... some look for deepDarkBody-colouration some like big finnage some like bulletHeads some love spoonn
precisely .... so how do we conclude all of them carry a simillar traits?

Old 06-06-2005, 06:49 PM   #40
fong
Dragon

Quote:
if u breed a Red with a XBack, you get in this first generation an aro that looks either like the Red or the XBack and not a combination of both. Or that if you breed a RTG with a XBack, you will get an aro tat looks like an RTG or a XBack and not one that is a combination.
Hi John,

I have seen first generation of a cross breed that looks like a combination of both parents. For example, I used to have a Red Gold Hybrid that has a full red single tone tail (just like a red) and a cross back coloration on the body. This piece father is a cross back and mother is a red.