Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > General Freshwater Forum

Old 19-05-2009, 11:32 PM   #1
Chlorophyllism

Default Has anyone kept cardinal tetras longer than a year?

I intend to keep 50 cardinals but have bad experiences with them. Somehow or rather they always die from disease or parasites. I have a planted setup. Ketapang leaves are also added. Anyone can recommend me where to get a healthy batch of cardinals? Care also to share with us how you Bros managed to keep them for so long. Thanks!
Old 19-05-2009, 11:46 PM   #2
Kohaku
Dragon

I had kept cardinals before and have experience what you experienced before.
I can't really help about how to keep the longer, but i know where you can get healthy batch of cardinals. I have not sucessfully keep all alive for more than 1 year, but a few manage to stay alive more than 2 years. I would like to know how to keep them alive longer.

Go to Gan Aquarium at Neo Tiew Cresent( somewhere in Kranji area), he has very healthy cardinals as he quarantine them before selling them, but be prepare to pay a bit more.

If Gan is too far for you, you can go to yishun Blk 932 to ask him to help you order. 50 for $45 only, Cheapest in the market, i think.
Kohaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2009, 11:56 PM   #3
onlyyouknow
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chlorophyllism View Post
I intend to keep 50 cardinals but have bad experiences with them. Somehow or rather they always die from disease or parasites. I have a planted setup. Ketapang leaves are also added. Anyone can recommend me where to get a healthy batch of cardinals? Care also to share with us how you Bros managed to keep them for so long. Thanks!
Think those wild caught ones are more hardy and less susceptible to diseases. Those farm bred ones seem less hardy...
onlyyouknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 02:33 AM   #4
Haymaker

IMO cardinals are relatively hardy fish....how did your fish die? was it due to infections or disease? if that is the case, sometimes the bacteria might still be present in your system.
Old 20-05-2009, 02:37 AM   #5
Enoran

R u keeping Cardinals only. Wat abt their tankmates, did they outlived the cardinals ? (if they are any)
Old 20-05-2009, 07:50 AM   #6
wildaltum
Dragon

I kept cardinals and neons before. Can last to a year but seems like one by one will die off. There is some kind of disease that one by one starts to have a white spot on the end of the body where the tail is, then the white spot will grow bigger and bigger and all this while the fish will start to slowly die off. Once the fish is dead, then another one will appear with the white spot again. ...Strange.

Have you guys noticed also, how LFS have very very beautiful cardinals on display at the front of their shops then after few months you will notice that there cardinals have also all disappeared due to sickness. ...
wildaltum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 08:10 AM   #7
Ong88

Prof SK Ong

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildaltum View Post
I kept cardinals and neons before. Can last to a year but seems like one by one will die off. There is some kind of disease that one by one starts to have a white spot on the end of the body where the tail is, then the white spot will grow bigger and bigger and all this while the fish will start to slowly die off. Once the fish is dead, then another one will appear with the white spot again. ...Strange.

Have you guys noticed also, how LFS have very very beautiful cardinals on display at the front of their shops then after few months you will notice that there cardinals have also all disappeared due to sickness. ...
This is mycobacteria disease
The flesh turns off colour( this pale spot usually stays about same size & can be any part of the body ) & fish slowly wastes away/doesn't eat & finally dies very thin : like discus when they turn black
Common in many types of guppies & feeders too
Suggest quarantine & treat with antibiotics before mixing
My lot of Gan's cardinals don't seem to hv this disease
Ong88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 09:06 AM   #8
Kheong
Banned

Had about 9 cardinals in my 3ft planted previously. A few started dying about 3 years plus, the last one went up after 4 years plus. Similar timing with the 9 rummy noses in the same tank. Then now i convert to bp, gf, and plecs because oc commented that cardinal and rummy nose too small, cannot see from far.

Regards
Kheong
Kheong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 10:43 AM   #9
Chlorophyllism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohaku View Post
I had kept cardinals before and have experience what you experienced before.
I can't really help about how to keep the longer, but i know where you can get healthy batch of cardinals. I have not sucessfully keep all alive for more than 1 year, but a few manage to stay alive more than 2 years. I would like to know how to keep them alive longer.

Go to Gan Aquarium at Neo Tiew Cresent( somewhere in Kranji area), he has very healthy cardinals as he quarantine them before selling them, but be prepare to pay a bit more.

If Gan is too far for you, you can go to yishun Blk 932 to ask him to help you order. 50 for $45 only, Cheapest in the market, i think.
Thanks Bro. $45 is quite a bargain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyyouknow View Post
Think those wild caught ones are more hardy and less susceptible to diseases. Those farm bred ones seem less hardy...
A friend told me that Singapore only imports wild ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoran View Post
R u keeping Cardinals only. Wat abt their tankmates, did they outlived the cardinals ? (if they are any)
My 30 zebra dannys have outlived the ill fated cardys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
IMO cardinals are relatively hardy fish....how did your fish die? was it due to infections or disease? if that is the case, sometimes the bacteria might still be present in your system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildaltum View Post

Exactly! maybe some kind of parasite. thats why im sourcing for a healthy batch of cardys. Maybe cardys that have been quarantined for a few months before sale.
Old 20-05-2009, 10:47 AM   #10
Chlorophyllism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kheong View Post
Had about 9 cardinals in my 3ft planted previously. A few started dying about 3 years plus, the last one went up after 4 years plus. Similar timing with the 9 rummy noses in the same tank. Then now i convert to bp, gf, and plecs because oc commented that cardinal and rummy nose too small, cannot see from far.

Regards
Kheong
Wow! where did u get your cardys from? Care to share your setup? Thanks