Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 04-03-2009, 08:25 PM   #41
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

yes of course.. but not so soon. after its fully set up with plants, will plan on what fish/shrimps to add.
EvolutionZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:11 AM   #42
JadeIceGreen

I would have to add that placing chacoal in the substrate makes little sense. Let me explain why.

For your chacoal to encourage the growth of aerobic microorganisms which prevents a substrate from getting stagnant, it has to be placed at the very bottom. Placing it at the bottom and not at the midpoint mark will ensure effective breakdown of organic waste and intake of these by the plant roots. Placing your chacoal in the middle will also hinder flora root growth and may affect its health.

Also, to create a highly effective aerobic microorganisms trap, it is best to use smaller sized "substrate". This "substrate", for example ADA Powersand, has to be of small grain sized as flora roots do grow down to it.

Chacoal (passive absorption) or activated carbon (active absorption) are both great chemical filters and should be placed in the filter not the substrate.

Placement in the filter will ensure maximum exposure to the water column and makes full use of its chemical filtration properties. This will also enable you to change your when their absorption properties have run out although it is now accepted practice to continue to leave it in the filter to act as a biological media.

However in my point of view, I would rather use a dedicated biological media like ADA Bio Rio or Eheim Substrat Pro which would ensure maximum filtration delivery which is important as our filtration media space is somewhat limited.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:11 AM   #43
Sinubux

I don't think that the hindrance of the roots growth into the soil is a big issue but rather I feel that the fertilizers that were randomly put into the substrate may in turn cause root burn due to over fertilization, assumming the roots is expose just next to the tablet. I am basing this understanding on land plants. But if member evo is adding the fertilizer tablets based on the recommended dosage, then I feel it should not be a problem.

As for the charcoal in the substrate, I also thought that it will be at the base instead of in the middle, just like how power sand is being put in the tank. Just my thought only.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:42 PM   #44
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

hi guys, thanks for all your valueable comments, acctually i wanted the charcoal to be at the bottom but forgot about it and end up pouring the soil in first, will do some changes.. will update soon.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:19 PM   #45
Sinubux

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionZ View Post
hi guys, thanks for all your valueable comments, acctually i wanted the charcoal to be at the bottom but forgot about it and end up pouring the soil in first, will do some changes.. will update soon.
You can drop by Far East Flora and purchase those soil sifter to sift out all your charcoal bits and fertilizer tablets and then take your soil out and redo it.

Sinubux <=== Just a suggestion though.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:00 PM   #46
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

hi sinubux, yes thats what i'll be doing, but not with buying sifter from there.. i got my own.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:18 PM   #47
Sinubux

Quote:
hi sinubux, yes thats what i'll be doing, but not with buying sifter from there.. i got my own.
Alright, looking forward to your updates, so have your new toys arrived from Mizu?
Old 05-03-2009, 08:39 PM   #48
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinubux View Post
Alright, looking forward to your updates, so have your new toys arrived from Mizu?
yup, but didn't get enough wood, have to wait for monday before i can set up the tank. i guess its worth the wait.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:43 PM   #49
Sinubux

Quote:
yup, but didn't get enough wood, have to wait for monday before i can set up the tank. i guess its worth the wait.
Good things are worth waiting for.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:29 PM   #50
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

did some changes, took out all the soil, and the charcoal are at the bottom now.

place in the soil and create a more obvious slope... wondergro fert took them out too, decided to place them in when near the plants after the plants is planted in..

played around with the 4 ADA wood i purchase.. but im waiting for a S size branch wood to be a base(in the middle) and it should come on monday.. i'll be getting some granite rocks too..