Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 06-03-2011, 03:21 PM   #61
Alvin Koh

Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvloh View Post
Just being curious, do you wait till all the plants are fully spread and matured before adding water? How long will u estimated it will take?
I guess I can flood it anytime since the plants are more or less rooted, but it's common for emersed setups to last 3-4 months. My priority is for the UG foreground to fill up substantially (maybe 70-80%), but I may flood the tank as early as end March.

Quote:
When I 1st brought the hairgrass for my tank, i bought it from seaview and was told by a friend these are considered "dry" and yet soak in water...bought another batch from Kranji and was "wet" and already soak in water before when I brought it....

My Question is you planted the plants dry and later added water into the tank after they had grown n matured....will they survived the changes in condition?

Sorry for my nobies question...just being curious....
Dun really know if this is a right question....
I am relatively new too so I can't really speak from experience. What I can roughly deduce from information online is, some plants will face little/no issues with transition (e.g. Anubias) whereas others will shed their emersed/dry leaves to grow new leaves that are submersible (thus old leaves melt/rot). Some plants even look different when emersed compared to their submerged states.

Ideally, the plants you get should be in the intended state of planting - e.g. submerged/wet if you intend to put them into the water directly. There is less stress to the plant as the acclimatisation is easier.
Alvin Koh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:31 PM   #62
benlauhh

Very nice setup bro! Clean, organized and well planned. Very impressed and envious. Can't wait for your updates soon!

Great photography skills too!
Old 06-03-2011, 05:44 PM   #63
Alvin Koh

Administrator

benlauhh, thanks for the encouragement.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:18 PM   #64
alvloh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Koh View Post
I guess I can flood it anytime since the plants are more or less rooted, but it's common for emersed setups to last 3-4 months. My priority is for the UG foreground to fill up substantially (maybe 70-80%), but I may flood the tank as early as end March.

I am relatively new too so I can't really speak from experience. What I can roughly deduce from information online is, some plants will face little/no issues with transition (e.g. Anubias) whereas others will shed their emersed/dry leaves to grow new leaves that are submersible (thus old leaves melt/rot). Some plants even look different when emersed compared to their submerged states.

Ideally, the plants you get should be in the intended state of planting - e.g. submerged/wet if you intend to put them into the water directly. There is less stress to the plant as the acclimatisation is easier.
Thanks for the input....so tempted to try it out.
I have a 1.5ft extra tank.....
Old 07-03-2011, 11:38 AM   #65
af2373

great journal~~~

i admire yr patience.....
Old 07-03-2011, 12:33 PM   #66
Alvin Koh

Administrator

Quote:
Thanks for the input....so tempted to try it out.
I have a 1.5ft extra tank.....
Go for it! I wish I was in the same situation as you, having a spare tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by af2373 View Post
great journal~~~
i admire yr patience.....
Thanks af2373 I guess it's from reading all the emersed setups in other forums that I've come to accept the waiting time. I am also quite indecisive , so the waiting gives me time to make other adjustments (kiasi). Hehehe.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:34 PM   #67
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

make sure u dun flood ur tank halfway!! haha..
EvolutionZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:15 PM   #68
Alvin Koh

Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionZ View Post
make sure u dun flood ur tank halfway!! haha..
I will try my utmost best not to!
Old 07-03-2011, 09:31 PM   #69
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Koh View Post
I will try my utmost best not to!
actually, frankly speaking, i dont see the need for DSM.. yes, flooding on first day will result in algae infestation. but thats only the first few weeks.. after that its fine.. like my tank, only first 2 - 3 weeks im fighting algae.. now i see almost no algae at all (except for GSA on tank wall)... But still, when its HC and UG u are growing, probably DSM is better.
EvolutionZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:15 PM   #70
Sunday
Dragon

This is the most absurd yet interesting planted set-up i've ever come across. Absurd because i never knew planting a tank took this much time and effort. Interesting because this is absolutely beautiful! I take my hat off to your diligence and patience to the cause.
Sunday is offline   Reply With Quote