Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > General Freshwater Forum

Old 02-07-2006, 03:56 AM   #1
aqua doctor

Smile datnoid in brackish water?

After seeing many beautiful specimens on this site i would like to ask if anyone out there has heard/done datnoids in brackish water ie. low salinity? I have read that they do "better" in this environment?
Any comment/expierence would be greatly appreciated.THANK YOU!
Old 02-07-2006, 12:44 PM   #2
minyun

Form what i know, NGT are from brackish water. The rest i not sure.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:34 PM   #3
Apteronotidae

Well Datnioides Quadrifasciatus orginiates from Brackish regions.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:39 PM   #4
weixiang80
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua doctor
After seeing many beautiful specimens on this site i would like to ask if anyone out there has heard/done datnoids in brackish water ie. low salinity? I have read that they do "better" in this environment?
ST and IT seems to be freshwater fishes...
NTT and NGT seems to be brackish water fishes
AT i dunno....

brackish water is low in salinity? if i rem correct , salinity is higher than freshwater but lower than sea water , SG is ard 1.010 - 1.015(brackish)
also Brackish has a few levels... like estuaries where sea water meets at the start of the brackish part
weixiang80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 04:25 PM   #5
Kaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua doctor
Datnoides quadrifasciatus, Datnoides undecimradiatus and Datnoides campbelli do best in brackish water (they require it to a certain extent). All datnoid species can be found in brackish environs in the wild, but only these 3 species really require brackish water. D. pulcher (ST) and D. microlepis (IT) do equally well in freshwater.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:53 AM   #6
aqua doctor

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz
Datnoides quadrifasciatus, Datnoides undecimradiatus and Datnoides campbelli do best in brackish water (they require it to a certain extent). All datnoid species can be found in brackish environs in the wild, but only these 3 species really require brackish water. D. pulcher (ST) and D. microlepis (IT) do equally well in freshwater.
VERY INFORMATIVE,THANK YOU; I was wondering what type datnoid has more of the gold "base color" with purple/blue overtone rather than the brown you nomaly see? Is this a fresh/brackish variety? Is it restricted/protected? Is it real?
Old 02-05-2013, 03:33 PM   #7
yeezermac

Thanks for the info! I was looking for such info too!