Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > General Freshwater Forum

Old 13-04-2013, 02:43 AM   #21
andy_fish
Dragon

Since ur tank is just 30L, why not get/buy some use aquarium water from LFS (10L) or so to speed up the process.. Let the filter run with it for 2-3days, than add in 5L fresh water (treat with Anti Chlorine).
andy_fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 09:06 AM   #22
chocydolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqwerc View Post
You water doesn't look good. Don't mind me asking but where is your filter? I can see that you places ceramic rings on the bottom of the tank.

I can see the pump in your picture but where does that lead to?
Hi sqwerc! Not good meaning its cloudy? Dont know why its like tht. Could it be the bacteria bloom? The filter is the one on the left hand side. Its a Rena Filstar or something. Actually the pump I removed for awhile to give to my goldfish. Haizz its a mess here.
Old 13-04-2013, 09:09 AM   #23
chocydolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_fish View Post
Since ur tank is just 30L, why not get/buy some use aquarium water from LFS (10L) or so to speed up the process.. Let the filter run with it for 2-3days, than add in 5L fresh water (treat with Anti Chlorine).
Hi andy_fish! I did put in say about 2 litres of used aquarium water. Was thinking of putting the used pebbles now. Should I change or add in the 5L? Sorry, everything I do now I'm scared, thats why I ask so many questions. lol
Old 13-04-2013, 09:11 AM   #24
chocydolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoshawn83 View Post
hi,

Your tank is not cycled yet.

if you can, get a bottle of SEACHEM STABILITY or any other bottle of BB.
(you can ask the fish shop person for this)

dose into your tank.

then follow the dosage procedures.

add your fish about 5 days later when the water clears up.

should be fine then.
Hey leoshawn83!

Ah ok! Thanks so much for the advise. I will go get the bottle. Hopefully it works.
Old 13-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #25
chocydolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyunus View Post
Wad do mean ph lvl ok?wit wad do u check the wp?my guess is ur tank is not cycled yet so most if not all ur livestock cld end up dead in hours..
I suggest u do a search on the forum n read up on tank cycling to give u a better idea...being new its a hard lesson learnt..
Even me still suffer losses here n there but thats totally another ball game
Hey mrnyunus! Good idea to seek advise from experts like you here then.
Yeah I did read up. Just that I was hoping that mine was a different case coz if possible I dont want to wait for a few weeks. Sorry, wp is water pressure? I need to do that? Coz I thought my tank is small only less than 30L no need to do that haha. Do I?
Old 13-04-2013, 09:35 AM   #26
chocydolly

Good morning all!

Ok the latest update is that all the remaining 5 small fish survived the night. Here are the results of the ammonia level and pH level.

pH level ok? The ammonia level though remains unchanged since Thursday. So this confirms that its an incomplete cycle thing? In all your experience, it will take a few more weeks?
Old 13-04-2013, 11:08 AM   #27
user134679
Arofanatic

It must be a very stressful time for you.

Since you already done what the other members have advised you, the best thing for you to do now is to let the cycle run its course.

Fishes can easily go for a week without food and I would advise you to keep feeding to an absolute minimum during this cycling process. Goldfishes produce an insane amount of waste (ammonia).

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.
user134679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #28
chocydolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by user134679 View Post
It must be a very stressful time for you.

Since you already done what the other members have advised you, the best thing for you to do now is to let the cycle run its course.

Fishes can easily go for a week without food and I would advise you to keep feeding to an absolute minimum during this cycling process. Goldfishes produce an insane amount of waste (ammonia).

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.
Hey user134679!
Im normally a cat expert, but this is my first time for an aquarium. Only coz my 3year old loves fish!! And I kinda got more interested because of that too lol. Yes it is stressful! Son keeps asking why they die and I feel sooo bad for sending them to fish heaven. I will monitor and update here. Thanks for the advise.
Old 13-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #29
avex30

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocydolly View Post
The guy from the fish shop told me to constantly check ammonia level like every 2 days or so. He told me to put those $2 per pack of fish. I put them in yesterday. This morning, 15 out of 20 died. The remaining 5 seem to be doing ok.. but tomorrow I will update again. I'm not going to put in my sole survivor goldfish in just yet.

Oh and water is cloudy. You reckon a few more days as opposed to weeks? I hope so, though I dont know exactly when is a good indication that the tank is ready for my goldfish.
For fishes although alot of shops will tell you no need cycle blab blab blab. In the older days ya i do believe. But nowadays our tapwater i highly doubt not only other have found ammonia age water i myself have found that also quite sometimes back. When i read thru and found out chlromine is being use.

Google and found the chemical that make up chlromine.

I just recent setup a 1.5 ft for some albino cory which i find them very interesting. I cycle my tank for 2 weeks cause i was only using a large sponge and 1 bottle of K1. I found ammonia trace although very little but there is. I add more BB powder in and added the cory for that day itself i added they swim fanatically around. I thought to myself crap goner lucky 2nd day i awoke they were all fine till now. Almost 1 mth for them already doing fine and growing.
Old 13-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #30
amkbettafan
Dragon

Just a few suggestions:
1. Keep cheap plants like java fern, they are hardier n helps to keep your water healthier
2. Your light should try to follow the time of sunrise/sunset pattern
3. Don't change water during cycling
4. Use aged water + seachem safe water conditioner when you do water change, after tank cycled
5. A simple filter like sponge filter would be good for the tank as well

As a beginner, keep things simple. A bare bottom tank will be easier to maintain as well. Easy to remove excess food and poo.

Goldfish have high bioload, so, your tank maintenance regiment need to cater to their need.
amkbettafan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gold fish, new tank setup