Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 06:58 PM   #1
Tualatin

Default Lobster/Crayfish 12th Edition

The 11th Edition has extended past the 300 posts mark, so here we are at the 12th Edition now. Continue to discuss these cute little critters (when young ) and ways to optimise their artificial ecosystems that we have setup for them.

Old 16-11-2006, 02:21 PM   #2
Lonerboi

kk, guys i've got a doubt here.

Are all male common blue with red claws?

Coz i current have a common blue, the lfs uncle said it was a male. Check the last pair of legs does have the pointy thingy, 3rd pair of legs no hole. But~~!! The claws are fully blue... how ah?

Old 16-11-2006, 03:31 PM   #3
peacockbasss

also need to ask if it is possible to comm different species of lobss will they fight if i provide hiding areas?

Old 17-11-2006, 06:10 AM   #4
Lonerboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacockbasss View Post
also need to ask if it is possible to comm different species of lobss will they fight if i provide hiding areas?
I believe alot of bros here have a comm with many diff species. Lobsters r lobsters, will fight as long as there are more than 1 lobster together.

Just ensure that u have enough tank space plus enough hiding spots. I find that they like driftwood more than pvc pipes. Try to find those with more hiding spots, i.e; lay the DW down and check see how many "caves" does it have.

Eh, no one got a solution to my problem?

Old 08-12-2006, 06:07 AM   #5
mibbyblues

Could someone Please explain to me what it ment by "common blue in reference to Redclaw crayfish"?
I have been raising Redclaw for many years and I have now made a business of importing and breeding and growing Walkamin Strain Redclaw and while I know that the coloration of a Redclaw can be affected and slightly altered by Ph and food or lack thereof, I also know through several coloration studies that color of Redclaw is mostly a matter of genetics since Redclaw color naturally varries from brown to brownish green to green to blue and now a opal color(genetically grown and devoid of the green and red). The Opal coloration is call "Cherax Park Blues".

I have never heard the use of "common blue" in refernce to Redclaw even from the farm in Queensland,AU that we import from.
Will someone please explain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonerboi View Post
kk, guys i've got a doubt here.

Are all male common blue with red claws?

Coz i current have a common blue, the lfs uncle said it was a male. Check the last pair of legs does have the pointy thingy, 3rd pair of legs no hole. But~~!! The claws are fully blue... how ah?

Old 08-12-2006, 12:45 PM   #6
Lobsterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibbyblues View Post
Could someone Please explain to me what it ment by "common blue in reference to Redclaw crayfish"?
I have been raising Redclaw for many years and I have now made a business of importing and breeding and growing Walkamin Strain Redclaw and while I know that the coloration of a Redclaw can be affected and slightly altered by Ph and food or lack thereof, I also know through several coloration studies that color of Redclaw is mostly a matter of genetics since Redclaw color naturally varries from brown to brownish green to green to blue and now a opal color(genetically grown and devoid of the green and red). The Opal coloration is call "Cherax Park Blues".

I have never heard the use of "common blue" in refernce to Redclaw even from the farm in Queensland,AU that we import from.
Will someone please explain?
Hi there, when we talk about "common blues", we really do just mean the Cherax Quad. or what other guys call Red-Claws. We also call crays, "lobsters" as they look like miniature marine lobsters. It is just a term that we use. Although some of us had been breeding Cherax Quad., we had never gone into the genetics of it yet and we do have a myriad of colour forms in Singapore too. Some of the serious breeders are breeding beautiful electric blue ones, and some are trying their hands at breeding the white form. Having so many species to remember is already quite troublesome, we did not go into naming the different colour morphs.

Old 11-12-2006, 04:58 AM   #7
mibbyblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobsterman View Post
Hi there, when we talk about "common blues", we really do just mean the Cherax Quad. or what other guys call Red-Claws. We also call crays, "lobsters" as they look like miniature marine lobsters. It is just a term that we use. Although some of us had been breeding Cherax Quad., we had never gone into the genetics of it yet and we do have a myriad of colour forms in Singapore too. Some of the serious breeders are breeding beautiful electric blue ones, and some are trying their hands at breeding the white form. Having so many species to remember is already quite troublesome, we did not go into naming the different colour morphs.
Thank you for the explanation But Cherax Quads are not a common color. The range is so wide because of the possible genetic combinations of the possible parents...
but now I understand what you are refering too.

If you are intrested in the color that I speak of you can go onto my web site and it will beter clarify what I am talking about.

Old 11-12-2006, 05:13 PM   #8
Lobsterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibbyblues View Post
Thank you for the explanation But Cherax Quads are not a common color. The range is so wide because of the possible genetic combinations of the possible parents...
but now I understand what you are refering too.

If you are intrested in the color that I speak of you can go onto my web site and it will beter clarify what I am talking about.
Hi bro, no prob. I meant to say that C. Quads is just a name for the species. The lightened versions (Opal) are really cool. Are they pets or food?

Old 16-11-2006, 04:30 PM   #9
ash
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tualatin View Post
The 11th Edition has extended past the 300 posts mark, so here we are at the 12th Edition now. Continue to discuss these cute little critters (when young ) and ways to optimise their artificial ecosystems that we have setup for them.

are golden lobsters easy to keep than rainbow lobsters?
Old 16-11-2006, 05:33 PM   #10
Tustar
Senior Dragon

lobby best with wat ph water lvl?
Closed Thread